Which Switch?

tonyreptiles

Featured Posts

Hi All,

I have a small Electrolux fridge on my boat. It has 12v, 240 and gas options.

It has two switches on the front - one red, one green.

It has two dials - one temp, one gas.

Can anyone tell me what model it is?

Is there an online manual available?

Does anyone know which of these switches is 240 and which is 12v?

Thanks in advance

TR

Hi All,

Thanks in advance

TR

Pic might help here, or look on ebay under '3 way electrolux fridge' might find one like yours there which may help you. Failing that pull fridge out and look on the back, should be a plate with model No: etc:

Edited by johnjo

dredging up my memory here now....

switches, is one wider than the other? if so then the double width one will be for mains, as it switches live and neuteral, the thinner switch will be for 12 volts as it only switches the live feed.

not sure if boats do the same as on motorhomes, but the 12 volts feed to the fridge should be through a relay so it's only powered when the engine is running, as they pull around 10 amps, and it's not temperatuture controlled, so on all the time, and will soon flatten the battery.

the dials, the thermostat one is for when on mains, the gas one gives you flame settings like on a cooker, i assume you also have a round button to push for the gas ignition?

if so, turn on the gas to the fridge at the stop tap, open the fridge door, down the bottom left hand side there should be a round window, about the size of a 10p piece, this is to allow you to view the flame on the burner,

whilst looking in the window, push in and turn the gas controll knob, turn it to full, keeping it pressed in repeatedly press the ignitor button, with a bit of luck you should see the gas light, keep the knob held in for about 10 seconds, then release, if flame goes out, re-light and hold in for longer,

once it's lit, you can adjust the flame setting for the temp you want in the fridge roughly, lower for colder days, higher for mid summer days,

of course this could all be wrong and you have an electronic ignition fridge, in which case the green switch is spring loaded, and operates the ignitor, and the red switch is a 3 position switch, middle off, up for either 240 or 12 volts, down for opposite, but cant help with the directions for each power source,

it's been a good 15 years since i had an electrolux fridge, i had a thetford one in my current motorhome when i first built it, but that failed to keep cool above 25 degrees C ambient temps, so no use in spain, so i ripped it out and replaced it with a shoreline compressor fridge, love it except it's power consumption.

Hi All,

Thanks in advance

TR

That sounds like our old fridge - I'll dig the manual up for you. I think I've already stuck it on the web server for another person asking the same question.

Can't remember the button order, but I know ours needed 12v for gas ignition and flame supervision, whereas the 230v was only used for the heating element when running on mains.

Not helped in our case by the previous owner putting 12v 13A mains sockets around the boat, as well as 230v ones, and the fridge having two 13A mains plugs on it... :lol::lol::lol:

PC

Edit, here it is:

http://www.greenferret.net/rm4211-manual.pdf

It's not exactly the one we have, as both our switches have a red marker showing when turned on.

However I can confirm on ours....

Left to right....

Left Hand Side.

Piezzo Igniter then gas control

Right hand side....

Tempertature control (mains only), Wide switch for mains, narrow switch for 12 volt, (which has no temperature control and would knacker batteries).

IIRC if you pull the fridge out it will be obvious which is which, as the 240 volt connectors should have a plastic cover to protect you from shock, and an earth connection, whereas the 12 volt connectors have no such sophistication.

On ours, anyway!