A more truthful article about living afloat

Lady Muck

Featured Posts

Ye Gods! The sub heading says all: -

"Living on a houseboat may seem romantic, but it’s no fun if you’re wet behind the ears"

£5,000 for a "crude shed"? Think I'll go into the 'crude shed' building business.

I know she admits to being "clueless", but holding battery terminals together with Sellotape?

Excuse me while I cross this Motorway in my slippers . . .

Derek

Edited by Derek R.

Ye Gods! The sub heading says all: -

"Living on a houseboat may seem romantic, but it’s no fun if you’re wet behind the ears"

£5,000 for a "crude shed"? Think I'll go into the 'crude shed' building business.

I know she admits to being "clueless", but holding battery terminals together with Sellotape?

Excuse me while I cross this Motorway in my slippers . . .

Derek

She paid 70 grand for a boat that needed work doing? <points and laughs>

Edited by Lady Muck

But then sold it for £63,000 when it was sinking. :lol:

It is London though, in London you see this all the time - people (like this woman) comparing boat prices to house prices (rather than comparing the boat you want to buy to other boats - I think it's called doing your research) and thinking 'Ooooh £63,000 what a bargain - a flat would be three times as much.'

Thank god! We need more articles like that so that people who live on boats are the sort that understand what living afloat takes....too many people just see it as a cheap form of living rather than wanting to understand the history & hertiage behind it...Good riddance I say!!

Cheers

Gareth

(Who has worked out he has now lived afloat for 18 years!!....makes me feel old!)

Thank god! We need more articles like that so that people who live on boats are the sort that understand what living afloat takes....too many people just see it as a cheap form of living rather than wanting to understand the history & hertiage behind it...Good riddance I say!!

I live in a house that was built in 1867, around the same time as every other house on my road.

There is only one other house on the street whose owner appears to appreciate the history and heritage, surrounding us.

Should all the other householders be removed and forced to live in Barratt boxes or is that brand of snobbery reserved for boat dwellers?

Edited to add: Lived aboard on a wooden working pair for 10 years plus, btw.

Edited by carlt

Cheers

Gareth

(Who has worked out he has now lived afloat for 18 years!!....makes me feel old!)

Don't quite understand why having an interest in the history and heritage should matter if you want to live on a boat.

“She told me, ‘You will live by water" The Fortune Teller said BY not ON.

"The barrow weighed a ton" That will be 40 bags of coal then.

"bought flat for £165,000 sold for £250,000 - profit £85,000

"bought boat for £70,000 sold for £63,000 - £7,000 loss, plus £15,000 spent on it"

More money than sense!

But still up on the deal.

Some people are never satisfied.

We had a couple come to our marina in the week to ask about living on a boat as this is what they were going to do,I took one look at her stilettos, well groomed hair and perfect make up and thought how you gonna empty your cassette in those shoes :lol:

We had a couple come to our marina in the week to ask about living on a boat as this is what they were going to do,I took one look at her stilettos, well groomed hair and perfect make up and thought how you gonna empty your cassette in those shoes :lol:

My boaty girl scrubs up well, when she wants to.

Being a stinking, unkempt hippy is an option, not a requirement.

maybe get her partner to do it!!!! Just think they might not even buy a stupid hat to wear while cruising.......

maybe get her partner to do it!!!! Just think they might not even buy a stupid hat to wear while cruising.......

They have a pump out and cassette he was telling me they wont use the cassette as they are not to fond of the idea. I didnt have the heart to tell him in the winter when the basin is frozen and the boats cant move they will be seeing a lot more of each other than they think

I live in a house that was built in 1867, around the same time as every other house on my road.

There is only one other house on the street whose owner appears to appreciate the history and heritage, surrounding us.

Should all the other householders be removed and forced to live in Barratt boxes or is that brand of snobbery reserved for boat dwellers?

Edited to add: Lived aboard on a wooden working pair for 10 years plus, btw.

Its not snobbery.....just think that if you are going to live afloat you should have some idea of why things were designed like they are and have some respect for tradition....I was 21 when I brought my boat but I spent a long time looking at boats...walking towpaths....finding out what was what....It was wanting to be a part of this heritage rather than a cheap way to live that attracted me to living on a boat.....maybe I am just becoming a grumpy old man but I really do think that now you do get a different type of person living afloat....one that sees it as a trendy thing to do rather than for any sense of feeling about the environment they are surrounded by....and judging from how some people "restore" old houses maybe they should be made to move!!

Bah Humbug!

Gareth

Edited by frangar