Winter Mooring

kackara

Featured Posts

Please can anyone help me?.

My Partner and myself have just brought a narrowboat to live aboard,

only problem we are having to face is having no-where to moor up for the winter.

We live in cheshire does anyone know where we can moor up, we are prepared to move as long as its about 30 mile away.

Please please someone help!!!! We are so new to this.

Doreen

Otherton Boat Haven near Penkridge very often have a few vacant winter moorings, I don't have the phone no to hand but will try to find it for you, although due to lock closures at this time of the year there maybe some difficulty in getting there.

There are winter moorings available in Ellesmere (North Shropshire) if I recall.

They are just online BW moorings which are usually visitor moorings, but I seem to remember that they were used as winter moorings out of season.

Ellesmere is wonderful - used to live there myself - and it is pretty near Cheshire, just south of Wrexham with easy access by the A55 or A49.

Contact BW in the usual way - details through their website.

Of course - and no-one has said this yet - you should have thought about this before moving onto the water!

Yes, it is easy to consider this in hindsight, but it is an example of how little fact-finding people do before making what is a substantial move.

Sorry to be uncharitable and welcome to the community anyway!!! :)

Hope you find something and can actually get there!

We are now in the season of "stoppages" where BW close sections of canal, bridges, flights of locks and so on for annual maintenance.

Make sure that the path to your chosen winter mooring is open before you pay for the mooring.

Of course, if you find yourself marooned between stoppages - you could have a go at sweet-talking BW into letting you stay put.

What else can they do after all!

Kackara

Can you be more specific, if you tell us where you are, not too much detail, but a few people will be able to tell you just what your options are, where you can get to and when. What is your prefered area, do you need a railway station ? The more detail the more info.

John Squeers

Edited by John Orentas

I found this out by mistake, but BW will consider allowing winter mooring on almost any 14 day moorings, providing you are willing to pay, and there is not too much pressure on that mooring over the winter months. The proceedure is as follows:- You find a nice spot on a 14 day mooring, phone the local BW office and talk to the Moorings Officer, She or He will advice whether you can moor there and if so will calculate the fee over the phone. The Moorings Officer will send you an application form, which you complete and send to Watford with the appropriate fee, and in about for weeks time they will send you a permit.

The Official procedure is to go onto the BW website and download the list of online moorings, which includes those already identified as Winter Moorings. Once you think you have found a suitable site, the procedure is the same as indicated above.

Hi Rusty

NO i went there to see them june time to try and see what they had, but the man would not let me put my name on one in september without paying full price from then,said there would not be any chance if i did not, nearley did but when i looked at the rules and spoke to someone there i decided not to.

£3600 per year electric £10 per month + used units at some silly price and extra if 2nd car came to visit.+ if i went on a weeks outing i did not go back where i was as they would be letting the birth on a tempory mooring so just went anyware there was room.

shame coz it is only 3 miles from work and i could have gone each night from work and put 2/3 hours in on the build and then only 10 miles from home.

• 2 weeks later...

Doreen - the marina that Bernie mentioned; Otherton Boat Haven at Penkridge on the Staff & Works - the tel number(s) is/are: 07966 184182, 07977 144373, 01785 712515. Fax 01785 713849.The lady who runs the place is called Jacqueline and is very pleasant and helpfull. It's possibly the cheapest anywhere and as such is pretty basic; small shop, elsan disposal, oil, water and some boat fixing.

Peter

Another couple of places you may wish to try are

Anderton Marina tel: 01606 79642 and

Orchard Marina tel: 01606 42082.

Although neither are cheap both have all facilities, though Orchard has only a narrow entrance making it a little difficult to manouver in at times with a full length boat.

So glad things have been sorted for you Doreen, although I initially mentioned Otherton I think it was Peter (wyeman) who gave you the phone number. We have passed Otherton on many an occasion and they always seem to have a few vacancies. I think they keep some free for last minute winter moorings.

Doreen

If you decide to take up a berth at Otherton, when you chug in thro the entance, make sure you turn immediately, left, or right, either way, 'cos I'm directly in front of you! :o

Seriously, if you're only 36' you get parked directly in front of the entrance to avoid having long boats sticking out where other long boats need to manouver for the entrance chanel - thats why we're there, we're only 30'. You could end up alongside. I'll look out for you, but not until the weather gets warmer! :D

peter

(current boat name Dorothea)