There has to be a first for everything..........

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

So saturday was to be the first time I single handed Cal. (well actually the second but the first time i intended to and solely on my own with no help from bystanders)

The OH was attending a day course in the sea cadets building situated on the edge of Brayford Pool. I dropped him off by car in the morning and said i intended to bring the boat down to pick him up later in the afternoon.

Now i know a lot of you single hand your narrowboats on a regular basis, however it is slightly different in these boats as you are driving from hlaf way down the boat on the opposite side of the boat to the transom gate where you can get off.

So later in the afternoon i prepared Cal by taking off all of the canopies. Then the time came to setting off, i had already planned how i intended to get her out of the mooring and ready for me to remoor her in Lincoln. So i unroped the bow and stern ropes bringing the bow rope to the rear of the boat and tying it off onto part of the canopy framework easily to hand when stepping off. It was then just a case of walking her out of her mooring, jumping on and reaching the helm before she drifted into either the chinese or the sail boat drifting around in the turning area.

With the helm reached in plenty of time, sail boat avoided and flood gates safely negotiated, it was a steady jaunt down into Lincoln before having to remoor her on the visitor moorings. No i should just make clear at this point, that although i am quite confident in my handling of Cal i do sometimes get confused with the way the outdrive should be pointing to bring her rear end in and this has in the past led to a collision with a concrete wall!!

So with a few last minute nerves i picked my intended mooring and with all fingers and toes crossed headed towards the bank. I neednt have worried though as the manouvre was pulled off with inch perfect results and Cal sat nicely beside the bank whilst i quickly jumped off remembering to take my ropes with me.

Dont know what all the fuss was about.

Now whilst all of this was going on the OH had decided to get a lift back to the marina with the instucter who took the course, he also moors on our pontoon so we know him quite well. He was greated at the gate, by someone he doesnt even know to the calls of "What are you doing here? Your boat is in Lincoln!"

At this point he decided to walk back into Lincoln even though he was offered a lift back and when he reached the Pyewipe he was also offered a lift and declined. So it was a bit of a suprise to see him strolling down the river bank from the opposite direction he was supposed to be in. Best made plans and all that.

Still we had a good excuse to stop in the Pyewipe for a swift ale on the way back. We needed to recover the OH's sweatshirt.

So saturday was to be the first time I single handed Cal. (well actually the second but the first time i intended to and solely on my own with no help from bystanders)

snip

Well done you - I was similarly tense when I first took RowdyKat out singlehanded - especially as I had a couple of locks to negotiate. Fortunately there was no one around to see me amateurish efforts!!

I now often go out on my own and think nothing of it so confidence does come with practice (mind you, I'm less bothered about "bumping" into walls/jetty's than you are).

Jez

It was a very relaxing experience other than mooring her up again. It went a lot smoother than i expected, but i did chicken out and decide not to go through the lock. No point in going down it to come back up again.

Hopefully it will be the first time of many.

It is an apparently small but in fact unnerving step. On all our boats, even if the one not steering at the time has been doing nothing whatsoever, e.g. sitting reading a book 30 feet away from the tiller, the steerer knows that they can call on them in an emergency. It hardly ever happens but the knowledge is reassuring nonetheless.

I don't think that I have ever single-handed any of our boats more than about half a mile!

It is an apparently small but in fact unnerving step. On all our boats, even if the one not steering at the time has been doing nothing whatsoever, e.g. sitting reading a book 30 feet away from the tiller, the steerer knows that they can call on them in an emergency. It hardly ever happens but the knowledge is reassuring nonetheless.

I don't think that I have ever single-handed any of our boats more than about half a mile!

Thats what i found. Although we have both gained the knowledge of steering and manouvering Cal and have done it numerous times with varying degrees of success, we have always had the backup of another person aboard if/when it all goes pear shaped.

Cant wait for the next oppurtunity now. Where can i send the OH next?

Thats what i found. Although we have both gained the knowledge of steering and manouvering Cal and have done it numerous times with varying degrees of success, we have always had the backup of another person aboard if/when it all goes pear shaped.

Cant wait for the next oppurtunity now. Where can i send the OH next?

You've been bitten, but I'm sure you'll think of something. A good one is to make sure he has less leave than you, or a work commitment at the start of a holiday, and offer to get the boat somewhere for him to meet you. I did Middlewich to Worcester single handed using this excuse, 90 miles and 70 locks!

You've been bitten, but I'm sure you'll think of something. A good one is to make sure he has less leave than you, or a work commitment at the start of a holiday, and offer to get the boat somewhere for him to meet you. I did Middlewich to Worcester single handed using this excuse, 90 miles and 70 locks!

As it happens yes i have and its quite sore.

As it happens yes i have and its quite sore.

Check your insurance cover.. does it state you can sail single crew ? if not beware.. I had Vrouwe Jacoba on single crew insurance.. costs nothing extra, but you MUST inform them and have it written on the insurance cover..

Check your insurance cover.. does it state you can sail single crew ? if not beware.. I had Vrouwe Jacoba on single crew insurance.. costs nothing extra, but you MUST inform them and have it written on the insurance cover..

Yes we can single hand her for periods not exceeding 24 hours without informing the insurers, but for longer periods must inform them.

Yes we can single hand her for periods not exceeding 24 hours without informing the insurers, but for longer periods must inform them.

I'd not heard of that one!! Before getting married, I was always single handed and having worked in insurance I always read my policies thoroughly and it was never excluded.

I often go sailing single handed, especially in my smaller dinghy as it's not really big enough for more than me!!

I've always had seagoing type policies, though, due to my location and proximity and use of even the canally type boats I had (Norman 20 etc).

Edited by GRPCruiserman

I'd not heard of that one!! Before getting married, I was always single handed and having worked in insurance I always read my policies thoroughly and it was never excluded.

I often go sailing single handed, especially in my smaller dinghy as it's not really big enough for more than me!!

I've always had seagoing type policies, though, due to my location and proximity and use of even the canally type boats I had (Norman 20 etc).

Its an exclusion on our Navigators and General policy. Have never needed to single hand for more than 24 hours and dont think we will never need to but the option is there just by ringing them up and adding the extra cover.