This seems a little steep

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

Yeah wow. I think I'd have given up on the bidding long ago and hoped for a different option to present itself. That's not far off the mooring prices of Chelsea!

Actually Marsworth is a lovely place with 3 pubs, a farm shop, travelling fish & chip van and very very popular with boaters. Big fees have been paid before and it's a huge amount less then Chelsea and at the moment a lot less than a good mooring in most bits of central London. Over £8k anyone for a place at Ice Wharf?

D

• 2 weeks later...
I believe BW will be rubbing their hands together when the next one becomes avaliable

Not necessarily. Two bidders is all you need to see this outcome. Next time a mooring comes available it might make less than guide price if there is only the one interested party.

Well there is another 70 foot mooring up for grabs at Marsworth.

To Let Mooring Link

Last one went at 182% of guide price ....

Let Mooring Link

So we can see who is right.

No bids so far, but doesn't close for further week.

It's a pleasant enough spot, but as said before, it's on a potentially muddy towpath, no proper parking provision, and apart from water and Elsan at Marsworth yard, (which BW tried to relocate as part of redevelopment), not a lot else, really.

Has anyone told MarkyMark?

I suppose it's possible he decided it was not a good idea after all, and decided to pay the "forfeit" for not taking it up ?

I guess I'm a bit surprised how many full length moorings are getting advertised on that short stretch between White Lion and Aylesbury Arm, as there don't seem to be many, and it always looks permanently occupied.

I agree that as there were only two in real contention last time, this one could let for a lot less, but there seems little rhyme or reasons to which GU ones go at nearly twice "guide", and those which go at 75% of, or even don't let at all.

And anyway, a lot of boats moor more or less permanently around Marsworth in equally nice places for about £4K less than MarkyMark bid! :lol:

This one wasn't and it's mine, all mine when I've promised my only-born to BW's dark heart and actually paid for it!

Mooring

Looks like we're off to Cheshire for the foreseeable future. Such a relief although the prospect of either 8 or 24 locks up and down for water is not so exciting unless I learn to go down a lock backwards!

I've only just seen this, but I reckon you will be one lock up from the water point located outside the Shroppie Fly. Think of the satisfaction of reversing down, to the applause of the drunken revellers. Audlem is one of my favourite places - active history society and Audlem proms in the park and good community spirit web site is www.audlem.org.

Enjoy!

Dave

I've only just seen this, but I reckon you will be one lock up from the water point located outside the Shroppie Fly. Think of the satisfaction of reversing down, to the applause of the drunken revellers. Audlem is one of my favourite places - active history society and Audlem proms in the park and good community spirit web site is www.audlem.org.

Enjoy!

Dave

And a really good second hand shop

Enjoy!

Dave

Really looking forward to mooring there. I've got my eye on the Audlem Voices Choir and am hoping they might just need another ageing soprano (warblers' section), if not, I'm off to the Shroppie Fly clutching concertina on Monday evening. Are there any liveaboards about in the area or am I going to be on the move for much of the time?

Really looking forward to mooring there. I've got my eye on the Audlem Voices Choir and am hoping they might just need another ageing soprano (warblers' section), if not, I'm off to the Shroppie Fly clutching concertina on Monday evening. Are there any liveaboards about in the area or am I going to be on the move for much of the time?

I'm not sure of any liveaboards (after all they are leisure moorings aren't they) but we usually see a very friendly lady who I think belongs to fine oldish boat hard up by lock 11.

We'll keep a look out for you when we pass, as we are bound to. For several years when we hired we did the 4 counties, starting from Stoke, largely so that we could do the Audlem flight. In those days we could even afford to eat at the Shroppie Fly. The highlight of our boating career as hirers was discovering that we had over a day of the holiday left after doing the Llangollen, so we overnighted at Audlem, completed the flight, went up Adderley, winded the boat and went back to Nantwich, arriving just after Nantwich church chimed 7. I cherish the video I took of that day, the best point being filming with one hand as I steered into the bottom lock at Audlem with the other.

Dave

These seem like telephone numbers to me, I thought the canal had got dear when my farm mooring with parking and water and 'on site' farmer on the offside in a beautiful spot on the Lancaster reached £100 a year for the mooring and £300 odd for the BW permit. Secure, safe, facilities, and cheap.

There is another yard I know with full electric (metered), water, you name it, for only £40 a month, and thats if you pay monthly!!

The sailing club that I currently sail from has tidal jetty moorings for any size boat up to over 45 foot odd for £200 a year plus £90 a year for club membership. Yes, there is no electric on the jetty, but water is handy, and there are showers, toilets, bar, big slipway with lift to get your boat out, full facility yard in other words.

Either there are people who just have infinate amounts of money, of they get a much higher salary that the average wage round here!!

I love Audlem, having spent my 40th birthday there on the visitor moorings, really nice pretty village and moorings by the way.