wigan locks

Tim F

Featured Posts

There is a BW user group meeting at the Wigan office this Tuesday 16th March starting at 7.00pm. Most of the managers and supervisors attend so you could get your answer there.

You may be able to get a contact number for someone actually working on the locks.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
I know, came down on friday, still the usual nightmare.

Nightmare as in what way?

there are still 21 in the flight and it is a long steady plod up or down.

There has been a lot of work done this winter with new lock ladders and if I remember correctly

six new sets of gates.Did you have a problem with the equipment or was it just hard work due to the numbers?

Nightmare as in what way?

there are still 21 in the flight and it is a long steady plod up or down.

There has been a lot of work done this winter with new lock ladders and if I remember correctly

six new sets of gates.Did you have a problem with the equipment or was it just hard work due to the numbers?

We once went up in the Norman 20 in two and a half hours; booked an 'assisted' passage with BW (remember them?) and was supplied with two BW operatives for the whole flight.

My wife went on to the next lock and set it ready with one bottom gate open whilst the two lockies opened all four paddles (gate and ground) from the start whilst I held the Norman at the bottom of the lock on the engine (I had plenty of power), and did each lock in under 12 mins all in. Boat bounced around everywhere but revelled in it, great fun.

Set off at 8am, at the top for 10.30, no-one else going up!!

Stopped at Red Rock for lunch and Johnson's Hillock for the next night.

Been up and down a few times but the worst was in November one year on my own with very little water in the pounds and temperatures just above freezing. Got to Appley Bridge just after dark (about 5pm I think) after setting off from Red Rock at 7am. Nightmare that one. Those old lock ladders beat any step aerobics any day.