Calorifiers and Morcos

Featured Posts

We have both and the setup we have it that they are in parallel.

- Inlets (cold) and out lets (hot) are commoned together. With a ball valve on each of the cold feed.

- To change over you simply turn the feed to one of and the supply to the other on and jobs a gooden.

You could replace the two ball valves with the single threeway valve for operational simplicity but there slightly harder to find. Clearly you really need also to make sure the morco/paloma is turned off before cutting its cold feed! And theres a non return valve on the calofiers feed.

The other way of cause it to have them in series but the interrelationships could get more indepth.

- With the morco first you would have to displace nearly all of the cals cold water before it ran hot (usless) and with the cal first you could end up feeding the morco with hot water which it might not like if it where on!

Daniel

You could replace the two ball valves with the single threeway valve for operational simplicity but there slightly harder to find. Clearly you really need also to make sure the morco/paloma is turned off before cutting its cold feed! And theres a non return valve on the calofiers feed.

Which is why it is better to have any stop valves or two way valves in the outlet of both the calorifier and the Morco, not on the supply too them.

Do that, and there is no possibility of anything untoward happening, even if the Morco is left lit. (When you have calorifier selected, the Morco is in exactly the same situation as it would be anyway, if connected, but all hot taps turned off).

Put the valves you normally "switch" in the outlet. If you have "inlet" valves (in addition) they can be used to isolate and drain either appliance, if you need to, but not touched in normal use of the water system.

I'd still recommend turning the Morco pilot light off unless you are actually selecting it as your "hot" source though - they do waste appreciable gas if left running, but no hot water is being drawn.

Which is why it is better to have any stop valves or two way valves in the outlet of both the calorifier and the Morco, not on the supply too them.

Do that, and there is no possibility of anything untoward happening, even if the Morco is left lit. (When you have calorifier selected, the Morco is in exactly the same situation as it would be anyway, if connected, but all hot taps turned off).

Put the valves you normally "switch" in the outlet. If you have "inlet" valves (in addition) they can be used to isolate and drain either appliance, if you need to, but not touched in normal use of the water system.

I'd still recommend turning the Morco pilot light off unless you are actually selecting it as your "hot" source though - they do waste appreciable gas if left running, but no hot water is being drawn.

Yes, I see your point, valves in the outlet seems to make sense for switching between systems, excellent, I can see a project for spring coming on!

The other way of cause it to have them in series but the interrelationships could get more indepth.

- With the morco first you would have to displace nearly all of the cals cold water before it ran hot (usless) and with the cal first you could end up feeding the morco with hot water which it might not like if it where on!

Daniel

The Boat Safety Scheme explicitly prohibits the Morco being fed from a calorifier. Otherwise your Morco, which is a constant temperature rise device, might make the water coming from the calorifier hot enough to boil, with undesireable consequences for the Morco and is not much fun if you are in the non-thermostatic shower.

N

The Boat Safety Scheme explicitly prohibits the Morco being fed from a calorifier.

That settles it then. Not only a bad idea, but in breach of the bss.

Dont do that then, would be advice!

*made into FAQ

Daniel

Yes, I see your point, valves in the outlet seems to make sense for switching between systems, excellent, I can see a project for spring coming on!

If you want to make a real project out of it - I motorised the L port valve using a car electric window motor

and a couple of limit switches ! In reality the existing plumbing meant that the best place for the L port valve

was right behind the fridge & therefore not very accessible - I could have arranged a mechanical extension

handle but a friend had the motor lurking around and it seemed a good idea.

springy

• 1 year later...

That settles it then. Not only a bad idea, but in breach of the bss.

Dont do that then, would be advice!

*made into FAQ

Daniel

I had a look at the BSS documents listed here but couldn't find any bit that explicitly forbids supplying a gas water heater with pre-heated water from a calorifier.