best engine

ukrizla

Featured Posts

We are currently looking to buy a liveaboard but don't know about what engine is most suitable. We would be wanting to have little trips most weekends and then a couple of good cruises during the summer. What's best for durability and fuel consumption, and best BHP. What can anyone suggest? Also, apart from looking at service reports, how do you tell how good they are?

Mtia Ukrizla

are you building new or buying second hand?

if new you could consider lister or izuzu......... talk to Chris at marine engine services, uxbridge

second hand lister, bmc or perkins.................. talk to same person for advice and spares

but if you are mechanically minded then vintage

as to how good and service reports a lot of owners don't record services!

Shame. I like the idea of a single-cylinder diesel-engined motor bike firing once every twenty feet and blowing a lovely smoke ring from the exhaust...

Richard

I'd like to put it into a car, one that looks like a very old steam car.. But it's probably got to be sold. May sell the BSA YD1 too..

It was a joke trouble with old bikes for me and ive had lots is, when I go out now I can clock up hundreds of miles in a night, the most being 500 in 9hrs last summer, I couldnt do that on my old m21

Oh yes you could! The M21 was a dead simple, reliable thumper - that is why it was chosen by the RAC in the late 40's and 50's!!

I've owned a rigid M20, a plunger B31 and an ex-works DB34 trials bike, all, ultra reliable, but!! I've also had a C10L (Utter crap) and a C11G, which was a good bike!

The M20, C11G, B31 and C10L all cost under £20.00, if ONLY I had kept them! But a guy I used to work with had Squariels, Black Shadows, Rudges, Manx Nortons, AJS 7R, Sunbeams, all bikes to make you swoon over, if he had kept them, he'd have been a very wealthy man now!

Rob

Edited by Byeckerslike

Oh yes you could! The M21 was a dead simple, reliable thumper - that is why it was chosen by the RAC in the late 40's and 50's!!

I've owned a rigid M20, a plunger B31 and an ex-works DB34 trials bike, all, ultra reliable!

Rob

Its not the reliability its a question of speed these days, if I want a leisurely tootle then the m21 is the girl, but for lots of miles quickly its the bonneville...

Edited by soldthehouse

Shame. I like the idea of a single-cylinder diesel-engined motor bike firing once every twenty feet and blowing a lovely smoke ring from the exhaust...

Richard

What you need is a 650 Panther.

Having followed one on a 1400 mile trip through France last year and can confirm that they fire every other lamp post. However stopping in the same county as the one you applied the brake on is a little more of a problem

Richard

I had a ride on the Robin diesel motorbike, when they were playing with them at a workshop in Brixworth, in the 90s.

It was just like you'd imagine, riding a motorbike, with a single cylinder diesel engine fitted. Not very nice.

What you need is a 650 Panther.

Having followed one on a 1400 mile trip through France last year and can confirm that they fire every other lamp post. However stopping in the same county as the one you applied the brake on is a little more of a problem

That's OK though, isn't it? My friend with a Triumph assures me brakes are only for decoration.

Richard

It was a joke trouble with old bikes for me and ive had lots is, when I go out now I can clock up hundreds of miles in a night, the most being 500 in 9hrs last summer, I couldnt do that on my old m21

Aaaah, M21--- Apart from an NSU Quickly, that was my first bike. Ex AA with coffin shaped sidecar still attached. Reg No YUC 724. Stolen from me in 1970. If anybody see's it, grab it back - ITS MINE

K