Time to buy a new engine

TerryH

Featured Posts

I am thinking of purchasing a new engine for my 47 foot NB. Possibly looking a ISUZU 35 OR 47. NB is used for leisure only. Any comments/advice on ISUZU engines would be welcomed

Also, any ideas on engine installation costs?

Thanks

Terry

Our Isuzu has given us little bother unless we have beaten it up with mattresses... It's got just over 3k hours on it so far and no real probs that would have been avoided with better luck or advice. My one qualm would be that water managed to get down into the engine stop switch and nearly burnt out the stop solenoid. make sure the control panel is somewhere sheltered or easily covered when cruising.

It's been said before but the fact that a lot of hire boats use them must say something.

Our Isuzu has given us little bother unless we have beaten it up with mattresses... It's got just over 3k hours on it so far and no real probs that would have been avoided with better luck or advice. My one qualm would be that water managed to get down into the engine stop switch and nearly burnt out the stop solenoid. make sure the control panel is somewhere sheltered or easily covered when cruising.

It's been said before but the fact that a lot of hire boats use them must say something.

Yes it does, the're cheap! :lol::lol:

It seems whether Kubota, Mitsubishi or Isuzu based the modern engine offerings are much the same in terms of performance and longevity. So, it is probably best to see which supplier can offer the best deal either on price or service or indeed if you want a blue, green or red engine! :lol:

Yes it does, the're cheap! :lol::lol:

It seems whether Kubota, Mitsubishi or Isuzu based the modern engine offerings are much the same in terms of performance and longevity. So, it is probably best to see which supplier can offer the best deal either on price or service or indeed if you want a blue, green or red engine! :lol:

;) Hi

Yes they are cheap but also very reliable, our hire fleet of over twenty boats all have Isuzu fitted and get thrashed to death and we get very very few problems... :lol:

Thanks for the responses

I currently only complete about 200 hours a year. THerefore, cannot see the point in spending 6k on a engine, but I do want reliablity though.

I was thinking of the blue engine. Not aware there are other colours.

Any idea of fitting costs?

I am thinking of purchasing a new engine for my 47 foot NB. Possibly looking a ISUZU 35 OR 47. NB is used for leisure only. Any comments/advice on ISUZU engines would be welcomed

Also, any ideas on engine installation costs?

Thanks

Terry

Hi

One consideration is which side your skin tank is on.

Some engines have water outlets to right and some to the left, it can make it awkward running hoses

Alex

Thanks for the responses

I currently only complete about 200 hours a year. THerefore, cannot see the point in spending 6k on a engine, but I do want reliablity though.

I was thinking of the blue engine. Not aware there are other colours.

Any idea of fitting costs?

Hi Terry

Cost will depend greatly on what engine was fitted previously such as how much changing around of such as engine mounts, feeds to skin tanks, plumbing, length of prop shaft etc etc . But suffice to say they are cheap to buy and not hard to work on. You will have to get a quote local to you. Hope this helps, :lol:

Edited by mrsmelly

Is there such ba thing as an "Isuzu 47" ?

Doesn't seem to be in current HMI Isuzu brochure.

Unless you like tackling very strong flows, it's hard to imagine a need for anything more than the 35 in a 47 foot boat.

What engine do you have currently, please, because, as others have said, this may affect costs to replace it ?

:lol: Hi

Yes they are cheap but also very reliable, our hire fleet of over twenty boats all have Isuzu fitted and get thrashed to death and we get very very few problems... :lol:

My comment was rather tongue in cheek. That's the point though they are reliable and so are the other modern types but a commercial operation is going to select the most economic (cheap/service/parts availability) option when faced with most engine offerings being good quality.

That's why when I was looking for a used boat to buy I was not hung up about the engine type/manufacturer (it was unlikely I was going to buy a boat with a Vintage engine) as they are all much the same quality wise. I was buying a boat not an engine. I would have been just as happy if the engine in the boat we settled on was an Isuzu or other it just happened it was a Beta marine one.

I do like the service intervals on the Beta though being 250 hours rather than every 100 hours with some engines.

Should I ever need a new engine (hopefully not) then it will come down to the deal I can reach on price, service and fitting whoever manufacturer that is.

Edited by churchward

Excellent advice so far. Not been put off the idea yet. Great.

I currently have a old ISUZU red engine (1989) only done 1900 hours. but I have no manual, the red paint has peeled off in places and the engine is slightly corroding. However, very reliable. Not sure i can still get parts. Therefore, considering replacing engine.

Looking at the pictures of the ISUZU 35 everything looks on the same side as current engine.

How cheap is Isuzi compared to Beta and others?

I think a standard offering Isuzu 35 is about £4500 in round numbers and the equivilant Beta is about £1000 or so more.

I currently have a old ISUZU red engine (1989) only done 1900 hours. but I have no manual, the red paint has peeled off in places and the engine is slightly corroding. However, very reliable. Not sure i can still get parts. Therefore, considering replacing engine.

Looking at the pictures of the ISUZU 35 everything looks on the same side as current engine.

Assuming you can get the service filters fan belts etc to keep it maintained I would stick with what you have until you get problems you can't fix or it doesn't make sense to spend the money. No point spending £4500 you don't need to.

I think a standard offering Isuzu 35 is about £4500 in round numbers and the equivilant Beta is about £1000 or so more.

Assuming you can get the service filters fan belts etc to keep it maintained I would stick with what you have until you get problems you can't fix or it doesn't make sense to spend the money. No point spending £4500 you don't need to.

Yes - definitely put the decision off for as long as possible to see what the "new" fuels end up being - i.e. how much Bio they will contain and whether the fuel system needs adapting to cope...

Nick

I am sure the HM Isuzu company started in 1999. I believe isuzu engines were marinised by beta marine in 1989 that is why yours is painted red.

Hi TerryH

There were 3 Isuzu based Beta engines, based on:

3KR1 1422cc 3 cyl 32hp

2KC1 653cc 2 cyl 14hp

3KC1 980cc 3 cyl 22hp

Hope this helps in determining the availability of spares

Steve

People have suggested Isuzu, Beta, Kubota etc. - is it not a sign of the times that no one has even mentioned a range of engines which are modern, have a reputation for reliability and are BRITISH: Lister! I do not know how they compare with Jap models for price though.

People have suggested Isuzu, Beta, Kubota etc. - is it not a sign of the times that no one has even mentioned a range of engines which are modern, have a reputation for reliability and are BRITISH: Lister! I do not know how they compare with Jap models for price though.

Lister Canalstar 30 approximately £4500 inc vat depending on specification ( delivered)

as with all thing best to give an expert a ring ......

Chris

www.marineengine.co.uk

or we can have a chat about Isuzu's as well ....

Edited by Baldock

No it's a sign of the OP he asked for comments on Isuzu engines.

Hi TerryH

There were 3 Isuzu based Beta engines, based on:

3KR1 1422cc 3 cyl 32hp

2KC1 653cc 2 cyl 14hp

3KC1 980cc 3 cyl 22hp

Hope this helps in determining the availability of spares

Steve

I have a 3KC1 engine.

I can get the serviceable parts easily but what about items like water pump, head gasket etc?

When I purchased the NB the surveyer told me to change the engine because it was a 3 cylinder and there was a lot of vibration (I replaced the engine mounts). I have always liked the engine.

I am sure the HM Isuzu company started in 1999. I believe isuzu engines were marinised by beta marine in 1989 that is why yours is painted red.

You are correct the engine was installed by beta

Thanks

Lister Canalstar 30 approximately £4500 inc vat depending on specification ( delivered)

as with all thing best to give an expert a ring ......

Chris

www.marineengine.co.uk

or we can have a chat about Isuzu's as well ....

Can I have a Lister in a semi trad?

When I purchased the NB the surveyer told me to change the engine because it was a 3 cylinder and there was a lot of vibration (I replaced the engine mounts). I have always liked the engine.

Vetus at least still sell 3 cylinder engines. They are prone to vibrate a bit and are best fitted with oil-damped mounts which are a bit more expensive.

If it's only done 1900 hours I would keep the £4000 in the bank - chances are the engine will happily go on for another 5,000 hours which, at your usage, is another 25 years ...

Vetus at least still sell 3 cylinder engines. They are prone to vibrate a bit and are best fitted with oil-damped mounts which are a bit more expensive.

An Isuzu 25 today would still be a 3 cylinder beast.

So are the Barrus shire 33 and 35, I think, (both Yanmar marinisations).

Or a Beta 28, (Kubota).

Nowt wrong with a 3 cylinder!

If it's only done 1900 hours I would keep the £4000 in the bank - chances are the engine will happily go on for another 5,000 hours which, at your usage, is another 25 years ...

Me too! I think you'll save a great deal more that £4K too, by the time you have paid all the costs associated with fitting a new engine of a different type.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, unless you have had a recent lottery win.

I have a 3KC1 engine.

I can get the serviceable parts easily but what about items like water pump, head gasket etc?

You are correct the engine was installed by beta

Thanks

Can I have a Lister in a semi trad?

Yes if you want.

Be warned most Lister Petter Alpha Canal Stars though very good engines require 100 hr oil and filter change.

An Isuzu 25 today would still be a 3 cylinder beast.

So are the Barrus shire 33 and 35, I think, (both Yanmar marinisations).

Or a Beta 28, (Kubota).

Nowt wrong with a 3 cylinder!

Me too! I think you'll save a great deal more that £4K too, by the time you have paid all the costs associated with fitting a new engine of a different type.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, unless you have had a recent lottery win.

Quite, nothing wrong with 3 cylinders. Bukh is another (and good example) of a marine 3 cylinder. Although not seen commonly in a narrowboat context.

Edited by churchward

Quite, nothing wrong with 3 cylinders. Bukh is another (and good example) of a marine 3 cylinder. Although not seen commonly in a narrowboat context.

Yeh, but I doubt the OP would be happy at the price of a Bukh. However I would rather have one of them (as I do) than either of the other two makes I would consider first. That is unless Beta have made their starters far easer to extract. I am sure Isuzus are fine but I have heard the odd mutter that aligning the pump rack on the individual injector pump engines can be a bit of a bind.

OK, I coming round to keeping my engine (anyway, I don't like spending money). However, I would like to fit a calorifier to provide hot water via the new engine. Can I run this from my existing engine? if so, what do I need for the engine attachments? if not, what are my alteratives available?