Just been sent these

dove

Featured Posts

Hi Andrew

Nice pic's. the first one "Unknown Location" is a Grand Canal Carrying Co. barge 80E or 83E. The E denotes it was transferred to the engineering dept. for use in maintaining the waterways and structures.

I cannot find info on it on the HBA Site (just a quick look though). Also no idea of the location but does not look like anywhere on the Grand that I recognise.

This one

http://picasaweb.google.com/Parabuild/Cana...108015687678226

Is the most interesting

Looks like a "duker" barge but cant make out the name and since there were only ever 6 in the fleet all of which started with Par...... plus the Iris Abbot which was the prototype it should be easy!

It looks like one of the Pimblott built ones that rules out Parelia and Parfield which were built by Yarwoods.

but for the life of me I cant decide which one.

My guess is Parbella but the name looks wrong

More details

http://heritageboatassociation.ie/cms/inde...6&Itemid=64

This one

http://picasaweb.google.com/Parabuild/Cana...108015687678226

Is the most interesting

Looks like a "duker" barge but cant make out the name and since there were only ever 6 in the fleet all of which started with Par...... plus the Iris Abbot which was the prototype it should be easy!

It looks like one of the Pimblott built ones that rules out Parelia and Parfield which were built by Yarwoods.

but for the life of me I cant decide which one.

My guess is Parbella but the name looks wrong

More details

http://heritageboatassociation.ie/cms/inde...6&Itemid=64

It looks like Parderry, blown up.

Some nice photos there, couple of location identifications:-

NB Edgeware is outside the Building Shed at Braunston(now occupied by Roger Farington) before the wall was demolished to build the slipway, so probably in Chris Barney's or Willow Wren's time there.

NB Jaguar is definitely outside David Blagroves Cottage next to the Boat Inn at Stoke Bruerne. (not Braunston)

NB'S Jaguar and Achilles , plus two photos of Willow Wren boats below Braunston Pump House.

NB Curlew is outside the Pump House (Now UCC Workshops) at Braunston

NB Dunlin outside former GUCC offices at Braunston , (Now UCC Office)

Edited by David Schweizer

Interesting collection of photos - can you let us know who took them? I'd date them from around 1971 given the disused Anderton and Blue Line boats and Nutfield painted in Bossington Wharf livery. I was a bit thrown by Cactus though which I think Malcolm Braine has owned since about 1964 so I think this pic must be miscaptioned. I would suggest it is Lamprey or Clematis.

Oh for a 5 megapixel camera in the 1970s though.

Paul H

Interesting, quite a lot of caption errors though :lol:

I'd say Pluto is about right with the date for the Preston Brook pics, maybe 1969?

http://picasaweb.google.com/Parabuild/Cana...107655758604082

shows my old (shared) Short boat Edith behind the BD bank boat.

I'd like to know what the motor barge at the Lighterage yard is:-

http://picasaweb.google.com/Parabuild/Cana...107402195395522

'Marion Tatterson' is one candidate which would fit the circumstances, but the name looks rather like "****** Liverpool"

The Marion Tatterson was one of the last vessels to be slipped there.

One of my customers would probably know (and what the Dukers power barge is in the other pic) but I'm not likely to see him until the weather thaws a bit!

Tim

Thanks for the link, there is a photo of my old boat before I boat her. I suspect the Manchester and Preston Brook photos are c1968.

With a bit more thought, I reckon they were a bit later.

It's after the Railway Shed burned down, which was around the time I finished at University (circa 1970/1).

In

http://picasaweb.google.com/Parabuild/Cana...106103083377458

a Motor Boat is being converted, ahead of the Mabel.The one I can think of is the Snipe, which AFAIR entered service (as a Hotel Boat - edit) in 1973 though may have been 1972.

The yellow car in

http://picasaweb.google.com/Parabuild/Cana...106496129030754

might well be mine, indeed if it's a 100E Popular it probably is. That would again tie the date to 1972/3.

The Anderton fleet, especially the properly painted ones, were looking distinctly tatty so probably getting towards their end.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

No.50 looks like Mr Bray walking across the bridge.

No.52 might have Roger Alsop on Comet.

No.8 & 9 I read Aberystwyth

No.13 looks like X & X COMIC CUT BOAT Co.? Don't recognise that bit of Berko, unless it's around sewerage.

Who's that steering LYNX in No.61?

Nice album. Thanks for posting.

Derek

Interesting collection of photos - can you let us know who took them?

Paul H

They were sent to the HNBOC by a chap called David Easton and then forward to me from Karen off Trout.

Just thought they would be of interest.

Andrew

edited..fat thums

Edited by dove

I was a bit thrown by Cactus though which I think Malcolm Braine has owned since about 1964 so I think this pic must be miscaptioned.

1963 :lol:

Looked at pic again. 95% sure not Cactus. Wrong colour and wrong end of the country. Will ask Malcolm though.

Andrew - maybe you could match it up to the bit of Cactus that was left on the front end of Dove at Braunston! :lol:

Edited by Satellite

Wonderful stuff.....

For the Berkhamsted photos.....

Comet & Betelgeuse are passing the old Berkhamsted outdoor swimming pool in one, (place of a mispent youth when I should have been working on A levels). Also of interest is one of the then still surviving double telegraph poles that paralled the route.

The other is of course Broadwater Lock - I had quite forgotten the advertising hoardings at that location.

For the "Comic Cut Boat Ltd", I agree with Derek - I think it must be somewhere between Bottomside and Sewage, south of Berko, though there is not much in the picture to distinguish it.

The Ian one is of course not Berkhamsted, as captioned, but by the Ship, near Red Lion Bridge, Marsworth.

The boats at the piling depot are undoubtedly Aynho and Ayr - who is in charge would depend on the date, but they don't look scruffy enough for the Browns / Dakins!

For the Braunston pictures.....

Nutfield had been bought by whichever of the Griffin brothers worked at Blue Line at the time - James, I think - Allan Jones will know.

I also think it's Arthur Bray on the bridge into Blue Line.

Apart from Rose Whitlock clearly visible in Lucy, I think Laura Carter can just be seen in the other picture.

EDIT

Clearly there is a fair date spread on the pictures, as most of the Blue Line ones show the boats after they had ceased trading, but the picture of Raymond and (presumably) Nutfield is earlier. At first I had convinced myself that (apart from her build!), it didn't look a lot like Rose Bray, but blowing the picture up, I guess it almost certainly is. (David S will be able to confirm, I'm sure).

Until Neil said it, I'd failed to spot the reversal of some of the Braunston images! :lol:

Edited by alan_fincher

1963 :lol:

Looked at pic again. 95% sure not Cactus. Wrong colour and wrong end of the country. Will ask Malcolm though.

I'm sure it's not Cactus.

Same boat in pic6, labelled 'Mendip and Lindsay' which is clearly neither.

Might be Clematis, though my memory is of green cabin sides. I can ask the present owner if he recognises it. The big motor on the inside might be the Stirling?

These pics at Anderton look like boats tied up out of use, probably when ACCCo had finished?

The old tug at the bottom of the lift will be the France Hayhurst.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Wonderful stuff.....

For the Berkhamsted photos.....

Comet & Betelgeuse are passing the old Berkhamsted outdoor swimming pool in one, (place of a mispent youth when I should have been working on A levels). Also of interest is one of the then still surviving double telegraph poles that paralled the route.

The other is of course Broadwater Lock - I had quite forgotten the advertising hoardings at that location.

For the "Comic Cut Boat Ltd", I agree with Derek - I think it must be somewhere between Bottomside and Sewage, south of Berko, though there is not much in the picture to distinguish it.

The Ian one is of course not Berkhamsted, as captioned, but by the Ship, near Red Lion Bridge, Marsworth.

The boats at the piling depot are undoubtedly Aynho and Ayr - who is in charge would depend on the date, but they don't look scruffy enough for the Browns / Dakins!

For the Braunston pictures.....

Nutfield had been bought by whichever of the Griffin brothers worked at Blue Line at the time - James, I think - Allan Jones will know.

I also think it's Arthur Bray on the bridge into Blue Line.

Apart from Rose Whitlock clearly visible in Lucy, I think Laura Carter can just be seen in the other picture.

EDIT

Clearly there is a fair date spread on the pictures, as most of the Blue Line ones show the boats after they had ceased trading, but the picture of Raymond and (presumably) Nutfield is earlier. At first I had convinced myself that (apart from her build!), it didn't look a lot like Rose Bray, but blowing the picture up, I guess it almost certainly is. (David S will be able to confirm, I'm sure).

Until Neil said it, I'd failed to spot the reversal of some of the Braunston images! :lol:

Yes. Definitely Rose Bray, you are probably in doubt because she is not wearing yhe Head Scarf which she nearly always wore. I have one photo of Arthhur not wearing his Trilby and it is also quite difficult to recognise him.

I believe photos 34 & 35 are reversed. It's Bottom Lock at Braunston, but the buildings are on the wrong side of the cut.

Yes, I recognised the buildings but thought that they were ouit of place, well spotted. I should have recognised it though, Our boat was built in that shed, and we moored there for quite a long time.

Edited by David Schweizer