Grimy/mildew covers

weeble

Featured Posts

I have a green "woven canvas type" cratch cover, cruiser stern cover and cruiser stern wrap-around skirt which have been fitted for about 2.5 years. The stern cover is removed when the boat is occupied but the "skirt" has remained continuously in place since I fitted it and there is a noticeable 3-4 inches of dark green gungy looking mildew/mould now forming on the bottom edge where it gets the wettest. (Same on cratch cover to a lesser extent).

Does anyone have any tips for cleaning. or tried putting this type of material in a washing machine?

mike

Jet washing would probably shift the crud and if the canvas is discoloured you could try this:

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?pro...ductName=Renovo Colour Reviver (1 Litre)&catID=&frostCat=&frostSubCat=&subCatID=

Frost are a bit on the expensive side but I imagine there are similar products available from elsewhere.

Edited by bag 'o' bones

Jet washing would probably shift the crud and if the canvas is discoloured you could try this:

I'd be wary about using a jet washer - it will quickly eat through any stitching on the canvas.

I use a sweeping brush and a bucket of water with detergent in it.

I have a green "woven canvas type" cratch cover, cruiser stern cover and cruiser stern wrap-around skirt which have been fitted for about 2.5 years. The stern cover is removed when the boat is occupied but the "skirt" has remained continuously in place since I fitted it and there is a noticeable 3-4 inches of dark green gungy looking mildew/mould now forming on the bottom edge where it gets the wettest. (Same on cratch cover to a lesser extent).

Does anyone have any tips for cleaning. or tried putting this type of material in a washing machine?

mike

For my sins, a few years ago I valeted floating Gin Palaces for a while and we cleaned canopies (made of similar material to cratch covers) by the following method.

Dampen all over with water and using a pump up or hand operated sprayer applied Boat Wash in a Bottle.

Leave to soak in for a few mins and then scrub with a stiff brush.

Hose off and repeat if needed.

It amazes me that more people do not use products designed for marine applications. Special boat scrub brushes have bristles which wear to produce an excellent scrubing surface. We would never use a pressure washer anywhere on a boat other than very lightly on teak decks.

Phil

Sorry to repeat myself, but.....

I'd give it ago with simple soapy water with a semi-stiff brush.

Why spend money if perhaps you may not need to do?

Martyn

Hi Martin

The reason being is with any mould you will need to sterilise and remove any mould spores.

Is your hood red and do you go riding in it??

Only joking really. I'm sure there are lots and lots of additives to water that will breakdown dirt particles therefore allowing for an easier removal of the grime.

Martyn (wiv a 'Y') not being pedantic onest guv.

Edited by Nightwatch1

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. There's one or two products there I hadn't heard of so will take a further look. I must admit I'd not given a thought to re-proofing, but I suppose it's something I'll also have to look at. Just got me wondering now if it's necessary to reproof the cratch cover every couple of years as a matter of course. Does anyone else do this as "preventative maintenance" or wait until things get a bit damp inside?