A Different twist on an old charging question

Timleech

Featured Posts

Not the Simms 1750 surely? I just cannot believe it :lol:

By an amazing coincidence, never having seen one before and nothing to do with the one under discussion, the donor knew nothing about it, I've just been given another one!!

Tim

But did it have that satisfying 'clunk' when you shut the doors?

The door close was the best thing about the Maxi...

You are kidding, right?

My memories of the 1750HLS Maxi must be somewhat different to yours then. It managed to inherit reasonable handling together with the ability to go pretty quick and carry 8' planks inside with the doors shut.

Richard

Maybe the fact no-one expected Maxis to go quick added to the fun

You are kidding, right?

... It managed to inherit reasonable handling together with the ability to go pretty quick and carry 8' planks inside with the doors shut.

Didn't it also inherit the awful auto-deflating hydrolastic suspension?

Edited by WotEver

Please explain "awful" in your sentence.

Richard

Hmmm... let's see... abominable, alarming, appalling, atrocious, deplorable, depressing, dire, disgusting, distressing, dreadful, fearful, frightful, ghastly, gross, grotty, gruesome, grungy, harrowing, hideous, horrendous, horrible, horrific, horrifying, nasty, offensive, repulsive, shocking, stinking, synthetic, unpleasant and, more imprtantly, unreliable.

I wasn't a fan of hydrolastic suspension.

Neither were BL eventually.

Hmmm... let's see... abominable, alarming, appalling, atrocious, deplorable, depressing, dire, disgusting, distressing, dreadful, fearful, frightful, ghastly, gross, grotty, gruesome, grungy, harrowing, hideous, horrendous, horrible, horrific, horrifying, nasty, offensive, repulsive, shocking, stinking, synthetic, unpleasant and, more imprtantly, unreliable.

Hydrolastic outlasted BL by many years.

Richard

It only went off the MGF because the cost of the hydrolastic units became too high after the Mini went out of production

• 8 years later...

Hi Chaps

William here. I'm new to this forum

I have a 1971 VanLent with two 1969 Cummins which were Marinised by Parsons

I was wondering what the w/l ect. meant and I read the above tech which is fantastic however I was just checking  if the regulator as attached below is  what is being discussed .

Kind regards

Liam 

20171202_112235.jpg

just noticed something a bit odd in the photo.  The Hi, Med, Low positive t6erminals. They are used to set the charging voltage for different climates so only ONE should have a wire attached at any one time.  he photo looks as if there might be two but there may br no cables on any and rubber insulating caps on two.

4 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

just noticed something a bit odd in the photo.  The Hi, Med, Low positive t6erminals. They are used to set the charging voltage for different climates so only ONE should have a wire attached at any one time.  he photo looks as if there might be two but there may br no cables on any and rubber insulating caps on two.

Yes it does look as if there’s a wire on each, doesn’t it?

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Yes it does look as if there’s a wire on each, doesn’t it?

I am not sure because I think some of the MOD ones had rubber caps on them. The HI + terminal looks a bit odd with the way the red cable is to one side and I can't see the tip of the female bald as you can on other terminals through the slot in the male blade..

37 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I am not sure because I think some of the MOD ones had rubber caps on them. The HI + terminal looks a bit odd with the way the red cable is to one side and I can't see the tip of the female bald as you can on other terminals through the slot in the male blade..

They both look as if they have some spiral wrap going to them but as you say it’s difficult to tell. 

On 27/11/2009 at 16:49, WotEver said:

Post '78 Maxis had Hydragas suspension as did the Metro which had non interconnected units I believe. I think BL had probs with this kind of suspension due to cost cutting.