How do I find a good boat builder?

Lady Muck

Featured Posts

We are just in the process of finding a boat builder, seen some very nice examples and some not so nice. We have decided to up the amount we are going to spend in order that we get what we want. currently like Top Notch, Milburns & Elton Moss, we are now arranging to meet Beacon Boats as they seem to have some good reviews. We will not be arranging for a build spot before house is sold but need to do a lot of leg work now.

Did you decide on your builder? I think one of the most important things is to speak to their customers to see if they (after a couple of years) are still happy with their boat.....and have some faith......enjoy :-)

Unfortunately, Beacon Boats must now be removed from your short list.

:(

Just to clarify for anyone who does not know, this is due to us reluctantly closing the business due to ill health of my co-director. Business being appropriately wound up.

Edited by Ally

sad.png

Just to clarify for anyone who does not know, this is due to us reluctantly closing the business due to ill health of my co-director. Business being appropriately wound up.

That's very sad news, sorry to hear that you've had to cease trading.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Are you saying this is a bad thing? Is this a fact?

Ian.

Bad thing, yes, painting at minus 22 is bad.

I have seen 3 aqualines with serious paint deficiencies, after they were finished in Poland at these kind of temperatures.I have spoken to the owners.

Two, I know have had complete repaints (over here)within 3 years of manufacture, the other one has had most panels repainted but still looks shabby in some areas.

• 2 weeks later...

We have had two new boats built and, whilst there were minor niggles on both occasions, we were blissfully unaware of the horrors which were befalling some prospective buyers. Without wasting words, I can thoroughly recommend Devizes Narrowboat Builders, run by Tim Wickenden, who pulled all the stops out to fit out 'Batto' for us in 2001, and Mel Davis Boatbuilders, who built 'Trojan's shell and installed her Gardner engine in 2006. Both these concerns were honest, pleasant and almost punctual! DNB just do fit-outs (we used a Liverpool shell) and MDB just do steelwork but can recommend fitters (we used Mark Gravil whose craftsmanship was breathtaking and whose lack of any sense of time was almost as breathtaking, so Fox Boats finished the fit-out very competently and quickly).

hi could you tell me the shell builder pls as aim having one made by john white boats

• 2 months later...

I'm an outsider but to my mind there's only one outfit in Uxbridge that (possibly) could do that sort of work and it's Uxbridge Boat Centre.

I'm an outsider but to my mind there's only one outfit in Uxbridge that (possibly) could do that sort of work and it's Uxbridge Boat Centre.

Perhaps if you made your requirements less specific, you might get more helpful responses if you said 'near to' or gave some distance that (it might be safe to travel to) you might consider.

Again I'm not on the GU, but recent discussions on another topic indicate that High Line at Iver or a yard a bit further up the GU might have facilities.

hi could you tell me the shell builder pls as aim having one made by john white boats

Alex, I have named the shell builders of both our boats in the post which you quoted.

Please note that Devizes Narrowboat Builders may have closed down (the post which you quoted was five years old).

• 4 weeks later...

No recent experience but they were customers of mine many years ago. Decent honest people to deal with in my opinion (assuming still run by the same board of directors!)

They don't build boats though, they import shells built in Poland IIRC. Quality is (or was) very good although the styling of the bows is frankly weird and 'foreign' looking :)

• 2 weeks later...

No recent experience but they were customers of mine many years ago. Decent honest people to deal with in my opinion (assuming still run by the same board of directors!)

They don't build boats though, they import shells built in Poland IIRC. Quality is (or was) very good although the styling of the bows is frankly weird and 'foreign' looking :)

Their most recent wide beams have come from Collingwoods, at least the ones craned in here at Mercia have.

Just to clear the New and Used side up.

Their most recent wide beams have come from Collingwoods, at least the ones craned in here at Mercia have.

They still deal the Aqualine Boat range built in Poland. But also carry a range that is built by Collingwood this includes the Eurocruiser derivatives.

Sadly at the moment the Aqualines don't seem to come to Mercia in a demo range which is a shame.

Bad thing, yes, painting at minus 22 is bad.

I have seen 3 aqualines with serious paint deficiencies, after they were finished in Poland at these kind of temperatures.I have spoken to the owners.

Two, I know have had complete repaints (over here)within 3 years of manufacture, the other one has had most panels repainted but still looks shabby in some areas.

I suppose this depends when the boats are built. Ours was built in summertime so shouldn't have this problem. If this is a known problem perhaps a little forethought when to get the boat built could be in order.

• 7 months later...