Large Magnets

plainsman

Featured Posts

Does anyone recall a trader at Crick 2009 selling large magnetic mounts ( to hold tunnel lights, aerials, washing lines et al)? If anyone can recall this do you have contact details/www please? I've looked on the Crick Show web page but nothing stands out.

Thanks Alex.

BTW thanks to those who gave me info on mooring along the BCN. I came through earlier this month and found the info very useful

Does anyone recall a trader at Crick 2009 selling large magnetic mounts ( to hold tunnel lights, aerials, washing lines et al)? If anyone can recall this do you have contact details/www please? I've looked on the Crick Show web page but nothing stands out.

Thanks Alex.

BTW thanks to those who gave me info on mooring along the BCN. I came through earlier this month and found the info very useful

I didn't see it but people into radio things use what are called "magmounts" to put aerials onto car roofs. The larger aerials use 3 circular ( up to 7" diameter !!) magnets on a triangular frame and have a grip far stronger than you could pull off ...

Typical vendors include ML and S at Chertsey ( Martin Lynch and Sons), Waters and Stanton out in Essex somewhere, South Midlands Communications around Romsey / Totton area, all of which have ( used to have) good websites

Not sure if this was exactly what you were looking for.... or try by Googling "Magmounts"

E.g. http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/magnetic_mounts.htm

Nick

:lol:

Edited by Nickhlx

Hi Plainsman,

I think you mean ...

http://www.narrowboat-services.org.uk

Ben

Worrying that that site refers at some points to tunnel lights based on "spot lights".

Proper "spot lights", (with a powerful beam to the front), are in my view unsuitable as tunnel lights. They blind steerers coming the other way, but still fail to illuminate the tunnel arch near your boat well.

A "fog lamp", makes a much more appropriate tunnel light than a "spot light", as it throws it's light more widely, illuminating the tunnel arch well, without sending a piercing light straight into the eyes of people trying to come the other way.

If you are going to spend a substantial three figure sum, (ouch!), on a tunnel light, please make sure that it casts an appropriate beam. :lol:

Worrying that that site refers at some points to tunnel lights based on "spot lights".

Proper "spot lights", (with a powerful beam to the front), are in my view unsuitable as tunnel lights. They blind steerers coming the other way, but still fail to illuminate the tunnel arch near your boat well.

A "fog lamp", makes a much more appropriate tunnel light than a "spot light", as it throws it's light more widely, illuminating the tunnel arch well, without sending a piercing light straight into the eyes of people trying to come the other way.

If you are going to spend a substantial three figure sum, (ouch!), on a tunnel light, please make sure that it casts an appropriate beam. :lol:

seconded... oops love Smelly (although I'll bet Bp will third it for the sake of a peaceful life)

I think lights shining sideways are the best bet, in fact I am in the process of refitting mine like this. As for a forward light all I will need, I think, will be a light that can be seen by another boater about to enter tunnel from the other end. To achieve this I could do with a spot that carries a distance but doesn't dazzle, maybe a 24v bulb powered by 12v? I have seen approaching lamps from a long distance which seemed a little dim, but not dazzling, close up.

Edited by nb Innisfree

Point them towards the roof rather than 'down' the tunnel, much more friendly :lol:

We have our fog-lamp pointed down in front of the boat which lights the surface of the water and the tunnel sides. The reflection from the water then lights the tunnel roof.

I get plenty of illumination, no-one gets the light straight in their eyes. What could be better!

Richard

We have our fog-lamp pointed down in front of the boat which lights the surface of the water and the tunnel sides. The reflection from the water then lights the tunnel roof.

I get plenty of illumination, no-one gets the light straight in their eyes. What could be better!

Richard

Have you looked down the canal towards it in the dark?

Richard

Mine was similarly set until I had a complaint from an oncoming boater that he was being dazzzled by the reflection. I raised it to be almost level and I have had no complaints since then.

Mine was similarly set until I had a complaint from an oncoming boater that he was being dazzzled by the reflection. I raised it to be almost level and I have had no complaints since then.

Or alternatively, you haven't met another boater that has given you any feedback yet?

I'll have a look at our light in the dark, but how I'm going to check on how the light is reflected from the ripples in a tunnel I'm not sure...

Richard

Thanks Alex.

Not sure of the company name but i can remember they were based in Polebrook Northants have a look at the exibitors list for the National Festival at Red hill as i saw them there.

Not sure of the company name but i can remember they were based in Polebrook Northants have a look at the exibitors list for the National Festival at Red hill as i saw them there.

I guess that would be Narrowboat Servies as per post #3?

Or alternatively, you haven't met another boater that has given you any feedback yet?

I'll have a look at our light in the dark, but how I'm going to check on how the light is reflected from the ripples in a tunnel I'm not sure...

Richard

I always shout Hello to everyons I pass in the tunnel. If they reply Hello then I take that as meaning that they have no complaint. I don't expect anyone to say "I think your spotlight is wonderful".

When mine was reportedly too low, looking at the walls in the tunnel you could see the flat beam travelling downwards and then back upwards to the roof. Now you can see the beam gradually reaching the water a long long way in front, and the reflection is invisible on the walls.

Thanks Alex.

If you want something perfectly adequate for a lot less money, have a look at

http://www.thetoolboxshop.com/0-538-55-rou...itch-1279-p.asp

This is a 'work light' so gives a wide spread, I've used one as a tunnel light and they're fine. There's a spotlamp version for those who are into dazzling the opposition :lol:

I see that some of the 'narrowboatservices' lamps are offered with 100W halogen bulbs.

The mind boggles as to why anyone would need that level of illumination on a canal!!

Tim

A friend of mine has built his tunnel light from, AFAIR, a Citroen 2CV headlight with either the innards or the bulb inverted. This enables him to have a spotlight OR a tunnel 'roof' light (upside down dipped headlight). I can't remember his switching arrangement though.

Edited by dave69700