BCN Moorings

plainsman

Featured Posts

Any advice/information regarding 'safe' overnight (or a couple of nights) moorings on the BCN? I am planning to travel from Warwick to Adderley Junct or Warwick to Fradley Junct via the Fazeley canal. I know about Cambrian Wharf and Gas Street but also I notice Nicholsons shows [M] in various places indicating moorings (Hills Bridge on the Wolves Level, offside near Dudley Port Bridge, below Smethwick locks and near St Vincent St Bridge on the B'ham main Line etc) , However I have not heard these (or any others) mentioned by boaters or referred to in the forum as far as I can see.

Any info would be much appreciated

Regards

Alex

Any advice/information regarding 'safe' overnight (or a couple of nights) moorings on the BCN? I am planning to travel from Warwick to Adderley Junct or Warwick to Fradley Junct via the Fazeley canal. I know about Cambrian Wharf and Gas Street but also I notice Nicholsons shows [M] in various places indicating moorings (Hills Bridge on the Wolves Level, offside near Dudley Port Bridge, below Smethwick locks and near St Vincent St Bridge on the B'ham main Line etc) , However I have not heard these (or any others) mentioned by boaters or referred to in the forum as far as I can see.

Regards

Alex]

Most people would consider the moorings at the Black Country Museum on the old Main Line and at Cuckoo Wharf, below Aston Locks on the Birmingham & Fazeley, to be "safe" as are those on the Main Line between Old Turn and St. Vincent Street and on the Oozells Street Loop in central Brum. Opinions are more divided on those at Wolverhampton Top Lock, although I've used them myself for an overnight stop without any problems. There are "secure" moorings opposite Broad Street depot in Wolverhampton but they have the disadvantages of 1) being next to an urban motorway and 2) having no means of getting to the outside world from your boat.

Edited to remove my reply from the box containing the original post.

Edited by Jim

Left the baot at the top of farmers locks in the basin opersite bw for a while without any harm.

- Also stayed the night at the top of factory locks, just a boat lenght up towards the bclm way as well, pub there does adaquite live music from time to time.

Daniel

Regards

Alex

Thanks everyone for your information. Very helpful

Alex

Opinions are more divided on those at Wolverhampton Top Lock, although I've used them myself for an overnight stop without any problems. There are "secure" moorings opposite Broad Street depot in Wolverhampton but they have the disadvantages of 1) being next to an urban motorway and 2) having no means of getting to the outside world from your boat.

We moored at Wolverhampton top lock, and saw another boat moored there reversing back to the Broad Street mooring. We found out why when we awoke in the small hours to find our boat untied and nudging the top gate. :lol:

Places on the BCN where we moored overnight this year with no trouble were:

Main Line: Near St Vincent St Bridge

Soho loop: Hockley Port

Wyrley and Essington: Anglesey Basin, Lane Head Bridge

Edited to add: also at the top of Perry Barr flight

Edited by Keeping Up

• 4 weeks later...

Regards

Alex

We've moored several times on the mooring above Wolverhampton top lock and never had any problem. We usually moor back by the BW yard so you're out of sight of the open space by the top lock. It was very noisy once as we didn't realise that there was a nightclub above the old BW yard, but the last time we were there, it was shut. Don't know if it was just shut that day or if it had closed down.. Incidentally, it's not marked in Nicholsons, but you can actually wind in the entrance to the BW yard. We sucessfully winded a 70' there.. in 1997... just..

Winding in the entrance to the basin is easy, any problems there might have been with doing that have long disappeared. Several people advised us it was OK to moor in the basin overnight but I noticed a number of "no mooring" signs so I'm not sure ...

• 5 months later...

Moored overnight in Walsall Town arm last year, there is a secure pontoon there - there's not much to do around there at night, and a fair walk to a shop.

Going on the BCN next week and aiming to come in the GUC route for a change, the thing is we'll get to C.de.B at about lunch time. The question, is that then too late to carry on?

Moored overnight in Walsall Town arm last year, there is a secure pontoon there - there's not much to do around there at night, and a fair walk to a shop.

Going on the BCN next week and aiming to come in the GUC route for a change, the thing is we'll get to C.de.B at about lunch time. The question, is that then too late to carry on?

I think there are secure moorings at the service point at the top of Camp Hill locks (can anyone else confirm?). Should make that by nightfall. Not the most exciting mooring, though walking distance from a million curry houses....

I think there are secure moorings at the service point at the top of Camp Hill locks (can anyone else confirm?). Should make that by nightfall. Not the most exciting mooring, though walking distance from a million curry houses....

Yes we passed them last year. Didn't stop there though.

Thanks for the replies. I'm mooring at the top of Hatton due to meeting friends for the evening and heading through Birmingham via Tame Valley and a forced stop at C.de.B may mean speeding through Birmingham.

There was no Tawny Owl at Hatton 3 days ago when we left SG Boats. Camp Hill sanitary station very secure but you will have to moor on the water point, unless you are shorter than 45 foot, as there is a boat permanently moored on the visitor mooring. There is a BW man on site during the day but I don't know what he is supposed to do. Everytime we have moored there he has kept to his room drinking tea. He certtainly doesn't clear the rubbish from the locks or sort out the water levels.

The site is fenced but I haven't been able to find a way out except onto the lockside and down the flight to Bordesley.

We left there this morning to go to Cuckoo and then onto Brownhills via the Manor Arms!

There was no Tawny Owl at Hatton 3 days ago when we left SG Boats. Camp Hill sanitary station very secure but you will have to moor on the water point, unless you are shorter than 45 foot, as there is a boat permanently moored on the visitor mooring. There is a BW man on site during the day but I don't know what he is supposed to do. Everytime we have moored there he has kept to his room drinking tea. He certtainly doesn't clear the rubbish from the locks or sort out the water levels.

The site is fenced but I haven't been able to find a way out except onto the lockside and down the flight to Bordesley.

We left there this morning to go to Cuckoo and then onto Brownhills via the Manor Arms!

If you left Stephen Goldsborough boats, weren't you at Knowle, not Hatton?

Otherwise I'm starting a new Que-Sera-Sera thread

Richard

You can moor under the canopy of the warehouse in a 70' boat at the top of Camp Hill

If you left Stephen Goldsborough boats, weren't you at Knowle, not Hatton?

[color="#000000"]Of course we were. This rain and lack of alcohol has affected 
my brain! Still raing but now I'm drinking.[/color]

Otherwise I'm starting a new Que-Sera-Sera thread

Richard

You can moor under the canopy of the warehouse in a 70' boat at the top of Camp Hill

Surely you then have to walk along a tiny ledge and through a locked gate, not BW key, to get off.

Strangely, if you walk round the back of the derelict warehouse there are number of pontoon moorings stacked up. Perhaps we should watch this space

Edited by pearley