Toileting - again!

Featured Posts

They are, I think, brand new to the market in the UK.

I suspect you'll not find too many people with one installed yet, but you never know.

Thetford also do one with a porcelain bowl - I forget the model number but it's on the site.

New version of the swively C200 I think, labelled as 'only available to motorhome builders and integrators'.

PC

We have a Dometic vacuum cassette toilet. This has a ceramic bowl which is the same height as the one in the house so comfortable. The toilet seat that comes with it is rubbish being made of compressed wood and sprayed white. It wears at the edges and shows a line of black. We replaced it with a very nice, solid plastic one which is much warmer on your backside.

Thetford also do one with a porcelain bowl - I forget the model number but it's on the site.

New version of the swively C200 I think, labelled as 'only available to motorhome builders and integrators'.

PC

Thetford = owned by Dometic

Therefore the toilet is the same, just branded for different markets.

It is new to the UK and very expensive, but if you are desperate for a ceramic bowl then you might think it is worth it . . .

(oh, and the cassette has wheels on it too . . . .)

Therefore the toilet is the same, just branded for different markets.

It is new to the UK and very expensive, but if you are desperate for a ceramic bowl then you might think it is worth it . . .

(oh, and the cassette has wheels on it too . . . .)

Indeed.

Linky for anyone interested...

http://www.thetford-europe.com/web/show/id=118260/langid=42

And apparently:

Les C-250 sont (pour le moment) vendus uniquement aux fabricants de caravanes et de camping-cars.

118489_622_1214825068433-C250-CB-overlay.jpg

PC

Can anyone give me any idea of comparison prices against a normal cassette loo?

Well, according to Thetford, the bowl is available as an upgrade to a standard C250 for £160...

Available as an upgrade for consumers

The C-250 Ceramic Bowl is now available to the manufacturer and is already being installed by some manufacturer’s in their high-end vehicles. The ceramic bowl will also be introduced as an upgrade* for consumers as from March 1st 2009. This means that owners of a standard C-250 can upgrade their toilet with the ceramic bowl to enhance that homelike feeling even further.

* Estimated price excluding labor cost and VAT £160-. To be installed at an official service centre.

Around the £300 mark for a standard C250...

PC

Edited to add, it appears to be available from Aussie retailers for $750, which Google convert says is:

750 Australian dollars = 384.342291 British pounds

Wonder what delivery would be...

Edited again to add, the Aussie Post Office will ship it via Sea Mail for $138 or £70, excluding UK taxes etc.

PC

Edited by paulcatchpole

I have seen a cassette loo called Dometic, I believe it has a ceramic basin. Much nicer for cleaning!

Has anyone got one, used one or have any pro's or con's.

Many thanks for your help.

Why is it nicer for cleaning? I have a plastic loo on the boat and don't find any difference to cleaning than the ceramic at home.

Puzzled

Sue

They are, I think, brand new to the market in the UK.

I suspect you'll not find too many people with one installed yet, but you never know.

Depends what you mean by brand new? I bought one for my boat 4 years ago.

Very nice it is too. The benefit is soley the asthetic appeal but since my boat is my home its well worth it to me. The only negative I can think of was the price.

We have a Dometic Vacuflush system on our boat comprising of a VacuFlush 5000 toilet

http://www.dometicsanitation.com/productpages.asp?pid=19

and a VacuFlush 2500 Series Cassette Vacuum Tank

http://www.dometicsanitation.com/productpages.asp?pid=82

It's a nice set up and we are very happy with it. One thing though, you must keep the toilet bowl seal clean as any leaks will cause the vacuum pump to trigger, most likely in the middle of the night.

As for being 'New', Lee Sanitation mention our exact set up in one of their news items dated 08/07/2004 :lol:

As for being 'New', Lee Sanitation mention our exact set up in one of their news items dated 08/07/2004 :lol:

The confusion here is that you (and others) are talking about the Vacuflush system - a vacuum macerator toilet, that happens to have a remote cassette as it's "receptacle" rather than a built in holding tank.

But the OP is enquiring about a cassette toilet in the style of the existing Thetford CS200 series, (which is just a dump through into a cassette that slots into the base), but with a ceramic bowl replacing the plastic ones of the CS200 type.

Like this

118284_611_1214821306837-C250CB-sfeer.jpg

These are new to market, as has been said.

Edited by alan_fincher

The confusion here is that you (and others) are talking about the Vacuflush system - a vacuum macerator toilet, that happens to have a remote cassette as it's "receptacle" rather than a built in holding tank.

But the OP is enquiring about a cassette toilet in the style of the existing Thetford CS200 series, (which is just a dump through into a cassette that slots into the base), but with a ceramic bowl replacing the plastic ones of the CS200 type.

Like this

118284_611_1214821306837-C250CB-sfeer.jpg

These are new to market, as has been said.

The confusion has arisen because of assumptions made as to the particular model of toilet that the OP was referring to.

The OP didnt actually mention any particular model of cassette toilet other than it was made by Dometic and had a ceramic bowl. The Vacuflush fits that description as does the Thetford.

Edited by blackrose

Having had caravans for years now they seem to scratch making them look grubby and can at the very worst discolour, ceramic is more pleasing to the eye too and will retain it's shiny appearance.

With a new build boat I want to explore as many options as I can.

Cheers hope you were not too puzzled.

Why is it nicer for cleaning? I have a plastic loo on the boat and don't find any difference to cleaning than the ceramic at home.

Puzzled

Sue

To avoid confusion I am looking at a ceramic loo that is simply a cassette style, not vacumn or other wise.

Many thanks for your help.

The confusion has arisen because of assumptions made as to the particular model of toilet that the OP was referring to.

The OP didnt actually mention any particular model of cassette toilet other than it was made by Dometic and had a ceramic bowl. The Vacuflush fits that description as does the Thetford.

Thetford and Domentic are rival companies. Thetford is not owned by Dometic. Dometic and owned by Waeco and Thetford own Spinflo.

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/DOMETIC-...BOWL_APJP2.aspx

This is the one I think people are refering to.

They have only been around a couple of months and feel very well made.

They have a couple of nice features too like the top coming off the tank so you can clean inside. They also have a nice sliding opening instead of that terrible Thetford blade system.

Thetford and Domentic are rival companies. Thetford is not owned by Dometic. Dometic and owned by Waeco and Thetford own Spinflo.

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/DOMETIC-...BOWL_APJP2.aspx

This is the one I think people are refering to.

They have only been around a couple of months and feel very well made.

They have a couple of nice features too like the top coming off the tank so you can clean inside. They also have a nice sliding opening instead of that terrible Thetford blade system.

I've yet to see one, but from the details, this seems to be a very good alternative to the almost ubiquitous Thetford CS200 model.

Having just looked, it seems that whereas you could not long ago buy the Thetford at "sub £200", prices have rocketed, and it's more usually now sold at over £250.

So it looks like there is a maximum premium fir this new loo over the Thetford of £50 or less. (The extra cassettes also seem to be a little dearer, too, though).

The ceramic "inlay", (it doesn't seem to be the whole bowl ?), will appeal to many who dislike the plastic ones.

My guess is they will start to become at least as commonly fitted as the Thetfords.

That said, whilst I wouldn't argue any loo looks "pretty", the Thetford one looks a bit less Heath Robinson, to my eye - certainly not any more like a domestic one. (But I'm on a boat, so why expect it to be a domestic one!).

Duly upgraded to the Dometic today at a cost of £120.00.

We look forward eventually to the full user report!

I can't see why it will not prove to be a good choice, but it's always interesting to here about any foibles of equipment in actual use.

• 2 months later...

Last night I was 'privy' (ha,ha)to some interesting comments re our potential new loo.

I have been told that the cassette for the ceramic loo has considerably less capacity, does anyone know if this is so???

Thank you.

I have been told that the cassette for the ceramic loo has considerably less capacity, does anyone know if this is so???

Incorrect.

The cassette for the new ceramic bowl model is quoted at 17.5 litres, which is just marginally more than the 17 litres of the various variants of the ever popular C-200/CS-200 model.

I suppose it's possible it has a more powerful flush, so could fill quicker, but I don't know.

If you can get the built in "bench" type (albeit plastic) ones used mostly as original fit in caravans, they are somewhat bigger at 19.3 litres. However many disposal points are poorly though out, and personally I wouldn't want to be emptying anything much larger than the 17 litre tanks, if I didn't want to be in a wet T-shirt competition.

Incorrect.

The cassette for the new ceramic bowl model is quoted at 17.5 litres, which is just marginally more than the 17 litres of the various variants of the ever popular C-200/CS-200 model.

I suppose it's possible it has a more powerful flush, so could fill quicker, but I don't know.

If you can get the built in "bench" type (albeit plastic) ones used mostly as original fit in caravans, they are somewhat bigger at 19.3 litres. However many disposal points are poorly though out, and personally I wouldn't want to be emptying anything much larger than the 17 litre tanks, if I didn't want to be in a wet T-shirt competition.

I think the cs200 is 18 litres. Whatever, they are much easier to handle than the 21 litre bases of the free-standing porta-potti which we used to use, though some of that may be because they are a more sensible shape.

MP.