Power Saving Tips

NB Alnwick

Featured Posts

How much power have I wasted having my laptop on to read this drivel

I ask myself that often on t'internet, but like a moth to a candle flame....

Simple solution: If we don't like it don't read it. I must learn to follow my own advice.

Edited by Guest

Can't help with the inverter question, Terry, but you can save power using a wide neck thermos flask to make your breakfast porridge. For two people, a cup of porridge oats, pinch of salt, a dessert spoon of dried milk powder and three cups of boiling water left overnight will need hardly any reheating in the morning.

It's our early morning start standby.

Doug

We save power at home using our thermos flask, by filling it with boiling water first thing in the morning and using that water to make hot drinks through the day. As the kettle which boils the water is on the Rayburn (I put it on the hob last thing at night) which heats up in the morning anyway, no extra power whatsoever is needed.

Careful, Athy, or Phil Ambrose will be telling you 'get a grip'! The thermos is good for overnight cooking/soaking of dried peas, beans etc for soups and stews, used to save gas and condensation. A cabin seems nice and warm on a September evening after a days motoring but at 6 a.m. there's usually moisture running down the scuttle glasses. WEshall miss our woodburner for the same reason when we relocate next month to U.K.

Doug

Edited by Chubberdog

There, it's now official! Two years is not too old, Phil has said so, glad he's cleared that up, our secret moderator has spoken, time you learned, Phil, that being old is no excuse for being rude. I would suggest you try Loch Ness in mid-September before you start pontificating.

Most days I am forced to add another name to the list of people who pi$$ me off, and today has been no exception.

Doug

There, it's now official! Two years is not too old, Phil has said so, glad he's cleared that up, our secret moderator has spoken, time you learned, Phil, that being old is no excuse for being rude. I would suggest you try Loch Ness in mid-September before you start pontificating.

Most days I am forced to add another name to the list of people who pi$$ me off, and today has been no exception.

Doug

Often been all over Scotland with my job, at all times of the year. So glad to have pissed you off, seems like a lot of people do, perhaps now we can avoid each other, I shall not miss your thermos flask recipes so it's a win win situation.

Phil

No, it's only you so far , had several PMs offering polite greetings and assistance, including some from people listed as 'friends' in your profile.

With over 11,000 profile views since 2009 you seem to have given a lot of people an itch, maybe it needs a newbie to express displeasure at being treated as you have treated my posts.

I shall be more than happy to lack your attention.

'Most days I am forced to add another name to the list of people who pi$$ me off, and today has been no exception' comes from Watterson's 'Calvin and Hobbs' series, a simplistic view of life featuring a small boy and his tiger who wants the whole world to march to his tune.

'Caps' and 'wear it' come to mind.

Doug

So, you think that just because a number of people have viewed my profile it means I have upset that number of people.......wrong

You seem very intent on knowing all about me to the extent of noting those people who are on my friends list, by even noting my age, whereas I have absolutely no desire to get to know anything about you. It's laughable the amount of interest that you are showing in me, your life must be rather empty if you can devote so much time and effort into trying to gain an insight into me.

Why not put a similar amount of effort into actually checking the dates of the last post on a thread and realise you may have dredged up a thread that has died off.

If you need to post recipes may I point out there is a sub forum of recipes.

Again may I suggest that you avoid me by putting me on ignore, that way you won't have to see my posts and I shall not have you stalking my profile , we can then both be happy without each other.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose
  • Greenie 2

Why not put a similar amount of effort into actually checking the dates of the last post on a thread and realise you may have dredged up a thread that has died off.

One man's "dredged up" is another man's "revived and reinvigorated".

• Greenie 1

Can't argue with that Athy, though you must admit it's a bit of a pain when you click on a thread only to find you've read it some years ago.

Phil

I see what you mean - though many of us have forgotten about threads which we read two or three years ago, so (re-) reading them becomes a new and exciting experience.

Yes O.K., I should get out more.

• 3 months later...

Hey guys!
Im currently Doing my Final Major Project at University and would love to get as much feed back as possible from my Canal boat themed questionnaire. It focuses on problems and difficulties on the canals . I hope you can all give it a blast! The more detail the better. Many thanks!

https://surveyplanet.com/5850067922b714057516560f

• 8 months later...
On 22/08/2009 at 10:34, alan_fincher said:

That would be our top money saving tip, as well as being an obvious power saver too, (assuming you have a water cooled engine and calorifier).

We try to aim to have as much washing up, clothes washing, showering, etc, as possible completed at least half an hour before we tie up for the night. This gives time for the hot water to replenish, and usually means we still have piping hot water available before we head off again the next day.

Given that this heat is otherwise only warming the canal, if you are cruising the hot water is then "free". In three weeks we did not once heat domestic water by another means, a big saving over costs of running the LPG Morco, (still available if we ever have "non cruising" days).

Another idea....

We picked up a mains driven "slow cooker" pot at a recent boater's auction. I was cynical with it's 100W power rating that it would cook anything, but it will actually produce a delicious stew, (or other dishes), in maybe 5 or 6 hours, (a bit longer is even better). OK it means having an inverter turned on all day, (our inverter is 300W, as we meet most power needs directly from 12 volts), but it can be run when the alternator is on, so no additional battery drain. You can get bigger, more powerful versions of these, and have subsequently bought a 200 watt model for home, which cooks a bit faster and takes a bigger payload. This would be fine on our inverter too, but the 100W model suffices for our boat needs.

Another plus point with the "slow cooker" is that the preparation is already done, and the cooking complete - no further work in the evening - meal ready to serve.

I wonder that no one mentions washing up [obviously as a woman it is what I do best.]

For the slow cooker there are bags, for the oven , there are bags, so the food cooks, the receptacles stay clean, and if you were alone, you could stick the bag on a plate [paper?], eat a la  KFC with  fingers, so no washing up.

and you should have a quadrant shower so you can shower with the guy next door [Tom looked pretty HOT]

Edited by LadyG