Gas cooker installation

Featured Posts

I am trying to install a Hotpoint HW170LIW Free Standing Gas Cooker. The manual indicated to make the LPG connection to the left hand side. Having now cut the pipe :lol: to fit the connection on the left-hand side looking from the front, I am having second thoughts about the wording in the manual. It states the following:

"Gas connection

The cooker should be connected to the gas-supply by a corgi registered installer. During installation of this product it is essential to fit an approved gas tap to isolate the supply from the appliance for the convenience of any subsequent removal or servicing. Connection of the appliance to the gas mains or liquid gas must be carried out according to the prescribed regulation in force, and only after it is ascertained that it is adaptable to the type of gas to be used. If not, follow the instructions indicated in the paragraph headed “Adaptation to different gas types”. On some models the gas supply can be connected on the left or on the right, as necessary; to change the connection, reverse the position of the hose holder with that of the cap and replace the gasket (supplied with the appliance). In the case of connection to liquid gas, by tank, use pressure regulators that conform to the regulation in force. The gas supply must be connected to the left of the appliance. Be sure that the hose does not pass through the rear of the cooker touching hot parts."

cooker.png

I have contacted the manufacturer but they will only offer an opinion on the wording of the manual (which they believe implies left, from the rear) rather than explain the reasoning behind the technical requirement.

1. By 'left of the appliance', do they mean port or starboard?

2. Why does it matter for LPG, but not for other gas?

3. Has anyone else fitted a similar cooker, and which way round have you done it?

Thanks in anticipation of any advice.

Edited by spindle

Okay, I'm only guessing here, but after reading those instructions three times and staring at the illustration I'd say that the 'normal' connection, and the 'only' one for LPG is how they've shown the pipe connected. That is, to the left hand side as looking at the rear. Which could of course be argued as being the right hand side :lol:

On the right hand side (as illustrated) there appears to be a vent below the alternative connection point. Perhaps that's why they don't want LPG connected on that side - but that's just another guess.

Or you could take the advice from the first line of the instructions....

T :lol:

Do you mean this bit:

The cooker should be connected to the gas-supply by a corgi registered installer.

because if you do the 'Corgi' does not exist any more, they changed their name. :lol:

Also the said qualified person would also need to qualified in LPG fitting.

Otherwise I agree with Wotever.

I don't suppose the mythical CORGI (or whatever .... ) will have any better idea that you, even after reading the manual.

Is this a new purchase? I would persevere with Hotpoint (who probably can't be bothered to get clarification from the Chinamen who probably built the cooker and wrote the manual) and insist on a proper answer. Ditto the supplier who owes you a duty of care.

Do you mean this bit:

The cooker should be connected to the gas-supply by a corgi registered installer.

because if you do the 'Corgi' does not exist any more, they changed their name. :lol:

And qualified to work on boats!

That being said I can see no reason why you couldn't connect either side. If you remove panels you'll probably find the pipes are connected inside.

The 'vent' in the drawing - I would guess is an electrical connecting point (for spark generator)

Mike

Do you mean this bit:

They still exist and still regulate installers in Northern Ireland, and still write to all Gas Safe registered installers trying to get us to sign up with them and keep them in the lifestyle to which etc....... They just don't have any teeth any more in mainland UK

Mike

Is this a new purchase? I would persevere with Hotpoint (who probably can't be bothered to get clarification from the Chinamen who probably built the cooker and wrote the manual) and insist on a proper answer. Ditto the supplier who owes you a duty of care.

Thanks ChrisPy. My sentiments exactly. I tried the supplier, he had no idea and didn't offer to enquire. I shall persevere with Hotpoint, oops I mean Indesit, oops I mean Glen Dimplex. :lol: Hopefully someone online may have actually installed the same model (correctly) and can clarify.

It is my intention to have the installation certified on completion.

Maybe it's the pipe type that is at fault here, although of course the manual seems typicly mysterious!

I don't see why the pipe being left or right should make much difference, as you'd want to use a double armoured hose in a pre-made length that bolts the cooker to you'r easily accessed shut off switch. This should enable you to pull the cooker out to check the back without disconecting it, and cosequently give enough play for connecting to either side.

my interpretation is that it is left when looking at rear of cooker i:e same as the drawing. the reasoning as far as i can see is the vent on the right being able to exceed 50 degrees which is the temperature stated as a maximum for LPG hoses. hoses used must conform to BS669 part1 or flexible hoses to BS3212 type 2 (max length 1mtr)

kev

I am a gassafe registered engineer and that is my opinion.

my interpretation is that it is left when looking at rear of cooker i:e same as the drawing. the reasoning as far as i can see is the vent on the right being able to exceed 50 degrees which is the temperature stated as a maximum for LPG hoses. hoses used must conform to BS669 part1 or flexible hoses to BS3212 type 2 (max length 1mtr)

kev

Are you Gas Safe registered to work on boats? These are a bit thin on the ground and it is always useful to know where one can be found. Unfortunately you are a wee bit far away from my region to recommend to my BSS clients.

kev

That seems likely, I was trying to point out that the piping style being used could be at fault, those BS nos. should be a usefull cross refrence too. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I asked the same question of Hotpoint by email and received the following less than helpful response:

Dear Spindle

Thank you for your e mail,

Unfortunately we are not able to assist with any technical advice or information due to health and safety issues.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Yours sincerely.

Customer Care Team

Indesit UK

Being somewhat disappointed at this I managed to elict a slightly better response following a few cross phone calls:

Dear Spindle

I have received the following response since my telephone conversation with you this morning. I hope this is of assistance to you.

This has thermocouples on hobs and oven so can be used.

The connection viewed from rear on this model should be on the left. Although the Handbook states left or right it also states hose must not be at any point in length on the hot spot which is created by this model

As for the technical reasons, I'm still none the wiser.

For the benefit of anyone thinking of fitting this cooker, another problem I seem to have found is the fact that the 12.9 KW rating, on calculation, necessitates 1/2 inch supply tube and that 1/2 inch fittings seem extremely difficult to come by particularly when trying to keep joints down to a minimum.

For the benefit of anyone thinking of fitting this cooker, another problem I seem to have found is the fact that the 12.9 KW rating, on calculation, necessitates 1/2 inch supply tube and that 1/2 inch fittings seem extremely difficult to come by particularly when trying to keep joints down to a minimum.

where have you sourced this from?

all gas installations are sized by length, elbows, bends and the maximum load attached

i:e 12.9 Kw would give you approx 8 metres on 10mm tube, but 21 metres on 15mm tube

i don't have the charts for imperial pipes to hand!

I based my choice on the pipe sizing chart from Calor Marine Shop.

I have a pipe run of approximately 30 feet. The cooker is rated at 12.9 KW. As far as I can see from the chart, 3/8" pipe will only deliver 8.43 KW, and 1/2" pipe 24.18 KW at this length.

I would like to be proven wrong on this as it would be much easier in 3/8" pipe!