Which loo

carl1963

Featured Posts

What amazes me is the weight of the outpourings. I am amazed we can walk aboiut with that much weight in us! Once its out luckily the wife now has decided to do the emptying of the elsans. She often writes to BW complaining about the design of the more modern disposals which were obviously planned by some bloke who has never used one. Her idea of the perfect hell for these people is an ever full elsan and him having to empty it at one of his designed facilities for eternity.

What amazes me is the weight of the outpourings. I am amazed we can walk aboiut with that much weight in us! Once its out luckily the wife now has decided to do the emptying of the elsans. She often writes to BW complaining about the design of the more modern disposals which were obviously planned by some bloke who has never used one. Her idea of the perfect hell for these people is an ever full elsan and him having to empty it at one of his designed facilities for eternity.

I agree, would be alot easier if it was just a hole to poor ya poo in, would be alot easier to hose down and keep clean as well.

I largely carry out my own pumpouts four or five times a year, which involves holding the outlet end of of a 1" pipe (fitted with a lever valve for instant stopping)

whilst an electric submersible pump does the rest.

For the duration of the pump out I have to stand in a pongy atmosphere, not my favorite place to be but not that bad.

I would far rather do this and have a sweet smelling bathroom every time I visit it.

And the cost to me

Pump outs - £0

Chemicals - £0

I largely carry out my own pumpouts four or five times a year, which involves holding the outlet end of of a 1" pipe (fitted with a lever valve for instant stopping)

For the duration of the pump out I have to stand in a pongy atmosphere, not my favorite place to be but not that bad.

I would far rather do this and have a sweet smelling bathroom every time I visit it.

And the cost to me

Pump outs - £0

Chemicals - £0

spot on :lol:

I've not too much experience of pump outs ut will share my experiences. When moored at a certain inner Birmingham pump out location I always stayed upwind after catching a whiff.

After mooring at alvechurch, opposite Scarfield Wharf on changeover day i won't again. having moored next to Mersey motorboat club's facility I didn't.

Sorry but sh*t stinks.

And the cost to me

Pump outs - £0

Chemicals - £0

So, four or five times a year, you have to put up with a pong for some time, and at some time in the future, you have a submersible pump to fix when it goes wrong.

I, on the other hand, have no pong.

You lot obviously have crap (pardon the pun) pump out machines. Ours (at Burton Waters) is fairly new and i have yet to smell anything from it. We are moored down wind of the thing (most of the time) and still dont smell a thing.

We tend to discharge our tank on the tidal Trent/Ouse so dont use the pump out facilities too often but when we do i wouldnt say it is an unpleasant experience.

In a previous discussion on his topic the following link re a self pumpout was given here. I see this as a transportable pumpout not self pumpout thus usage restrictions should not apply after all there are larger cassettes available than the 25l bottle shown - I saw one earlier this year being carried in one of these. Being too heavy to be portable - over 20kg when full being the upper limit for being considered portable, the unit becomes transportable. Perhaps one of the canal magazines could take this up as a DIY article and source suitable components at lowest cost - ought to sell a few more copies! For anyone questioning the use at a "no self pumpout" sanitary station I put this question "If the 25l plastic drum was replaced by a 25l cassette toilet cassette and the contents of the holding tank pumped into it then the cassette subsequently emptied into the disposal unit would this be deemed a nonconforming activity?" Maybe the answer is to lable the drum "CASSETTE"

In a previous discussion on his topic the following link re a self pumpout was given here. I see this as a transportable pumpout not self pumpout thus usage restrictions should not apply after all there are larger cassettes available than the 25l bottle shown - I saw one earlier this year being carried in one of these. Being too heavy to be portable - over 20kg when full being the upper limit for being considered portable, the unit becomes transportable. Perhaps one of the canal magazines could take this up as a DIY article and source suitable components at lowest cost - ought to sell a few more copies! For anyone questioning the use at a "no self pumpout" sanitary station I put this question "If the 25l plastic drum was replaced by a 25l cassette toilet cassette and the contents of the holding tank pumped into it then the cassette subsequently emptied into the disposal unit would this be deemed a nonconforming activity?" Maybe the answer is to lable the drum "CASSETTE"

I see no reason why you can't pump your sh*t into a 25l plastic butt then transport it to an elsan point where you could pour the contents out.

I just can't imagine why anyone would want to.

A cassette is designed to allow excrement to be emptied without a vacuum building up, leading to the inevitable "glug" and splash potential.

A water butt is not.

I have still yet to pump out my tank so I'm going to hold back until I do.

Do I need some sort of card for the machine?

If you go to a boatyard and pay someone to do it - no.

If you use a BW pump-out machine - yes. They are on the BW online shop (which I have only just discovered) here for £10, but there are other places you can get them.

If you have never been involved in this process I'd get it done at a marina and go and watch how it is done first.

Richard

I see no reason why you can't pump your sh*t into a 25l plastic butt then transport it to an elsan point where you could pour the contents out.

A cassette is designed to allow excrement to be emptied without a vacuum building up, leading to the inevitable "glug" and splash potential.

A water butt is not.

Reason - to save the cost of pumpouts. Our 60 foot 20 year old boat has a small holding tank because the first owners only planned for 2 people however 5 can be accomodated and with a full crew it can need emptying more than twice in a week generally because visitors have difficulty in minimising water usage - and we can't upset our guests!

The pump action will convert the material to a slurry thus by pouring with the outlet uppermost there will be no vacuum and no "glug"! This assumes a plastic container shaped like a jerry can is used.

So, four or five times a year, you have to put up with a pong for some time, and at some time in the future, you have a submersible pump to fix when it goes wrong.

I, on the other hand, have no pong.

I hesitate to admit this, but in a perverse kind of way I get some satisfaction from carrying out a self pump out.

It is the satisfaction of knowing that I won't have to give any thought to matters sanitary for several weeks to come. (A bit like filling the water tank)

As for the submersible pump comment:- sounds like clutching at straws to support an argument to me. :lol:

Rob

A water butt is not.

I looked at "cassette" in a dictionary: "sealed plastic case: a sealed plastic case containing a supply of something such as ink for insertion into a machine such as a printer" so I looked at "machine": "simple unpowered device: a simple device used to overcome resistance at one point by applying force at another point, e.g. a lever, pulley, or an inclined plane". now, the "U" bend in the plumbing causes flow resistance by the force of the output from the "cassette" above and even without a "U" bend, the head of fluid in the elsan unit pan above the much smaller diamater pipe is applying a force to the material below forcing it along the pipe. Thus the 25l plastic butt is in fact a cassette especially if "CASSETTE" is written on the butt!! And the contents of cassettes can be emptied into Elsan disposal units.

Snipped the irrelevant.........And the contents of cassettes can be emptied into Elsan disposal units.

I never disputed that you would be allowed to empty your container, into an elsan point, I just don't understand why anyone would want to add a process to an unsavoury task and pump their excrement into a container, not designed for that purpose.

If you can just use a dictionary to explain away the fact that a specially designed toilet cassette has a valve, to stop a vacuum forming, which produces an erratic and unpredictable "glug" and your water butt "cassette" doesn't, then there is no point pursuing the matter.

:lol::lol: im fitting a 45 foot narrow beem boat out ive got to the loo witch one pump out or cassete?

Its a matter of personal choice, do you pay nothing and tip it in a tank or pay £10.00 to £15.00 to get a machine to do it ( bloody exorbitant considering it ends up in the same tank) or in the case of Whilton marina pay £2.50 to use the elsan. Use the pub or BP petrol station (BP can definately afford the toilet paper)

They don't like you emptying your cassette, in the pub toilets ,and they went mad when I carried the self pump out hose through the lounge bar.
They might not like it but I don't think any one would wrestle you to the ground. What are the self pump out kits like? are they worth the money?

What are the self pump out kits like? are they worth the money?

As someone who thinks they should be banned, from elsan facilities, I'm probably not the person to ask.

If you are pumping those quantities of sewage, in one go, then it should be a closed system (in my opinion).

I looked at "cassette" in a dictionary:

Me too, you could use one of these :lol:

775px-Kaseta_magnetofonowa_ubt.jpeg

I never disputed that you would be allowed to empty your container, into an elsan point, I just don't understand why anyone would want to add a process to an unsavoury task and pump their excrement into a container, not designed for that purpose.

If you can just use a dictionary to explain away the fact that a specially designed toilet cassette has a valve, to stop a vacuum forming, which produces an erratic and unpredictable "glug" and your water butt "cassette" doesn't, then there is no point pursuing the matter.

I don't consider the task unsavoury - issue resolved!

I'm using a dictionary to validate the concept that the container meets the definition of cassette thus must be acceptable to BW for use in the Elsan disposal units. I simply did not expect to need to explain in this detail in order to be understood.

Using a jerry can style plastic bottle with the outlet towards one end in the top, and pouring with the outlet uppermost also stops a partial vacuum forming and thus no glugs - another issue resolved.

Contents of tank transferred to sewage works without additional cost to me - yet another issue resolved!!

Isn't English wonderful - one word with multiple meanings.