An alternative canal map

tafkam

Featured Posts

I think I might just have managed all of those alterations.

I'm afraid I've no intention of differentiating between broad and narrow for two reasons.

1. It's trouble enough trying to find enough colours for different canals. Different patterns are incredibly difficult to include.

2. I only use narrowboats, so it's academic to me :lol:

Tafkam,

there is something wrong about the way you are posting images, and I'm not sure what it is. Your avatar shows up for me as a broken link to an image and your map keeps disappearing.

Can anyone explain what is going on?

Richard

Your map is fine in the gallery.

Apologies for those struggling to see the latest view. I can only presume it is because I have just been overwriting the file each time. It is stored as an image in my user gallery. Here is the latest version - I await further corrections:

gallery_3902_484_11593.gif

Why the Mon & Brec, btw, but not other isolated waterways? (Chelmer & Blackwater, for example)

Only because I consider the Mon & Brec to be a "real" canal - a point of contention I'd agree. I've included rivers and canalised rivers where they link with the main canal network, but not further afield. Maybe that's a point to be argued. I'm also reluctant to keep adding new colours! There are only so many shades of green that can be differentiated at that level!

Apologies for those struggling to see the latest view. I can only presume it is because I have just been overwriting the file each time. It is stored as an image in my user gallery. Here is the latest version - I await further corrections:

gallery_3902_484_11593.gif

OK, special pleading here.

You have Huddersfield and Peak Forest grouped in the key, but on the map, you use the colour for the Ashton as well.

Grouping the Huddersfield with the PF isn't a good logical grouping, but grouping the Ashton, PF and Macc under a single colour is (they were operated by the same company for many years). That would leave the orange that you currently use for the Macc free for the Huddersfield.

Superb map! Maybe a silly question but....If I save a copy on my pc and print it the resolution is low and the quality a bit fuzzy. Is there a way to get a higher resolution version?

Edit to say now its solved!

Edited by GeoffS

Apologies for those struggling to see the latest view. I can only presume it is because I have just been overwriting the file each time. It is stored as an image in my user gallery. I await further corrections:

• The Thames is actually navigable for a mile or so above Lechlade
  • Bristol isn't on the Severn! Where you have Bristol is actually Avonmouth - Bristol is a few miles up the Avon
  • Would the Leicester arm of the GU / Soar look better as a straight line?
  • Is the River Derwent and the Pocklington Canal missing?

Chris

Edited by Chrish01

Hi,

Looking great - just a couple of points - the first one:

The Driffield Navigation - can you put North Frodingham straight up, and put Driffield off the left side like Beverley Beck please - it's more geographically accurate and looks a little odd like it is now.

DrffNav_Map.gif

The second one, which is completely not important, but thought I would point it out, that the first half between Fazeley and Fradley is acually the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal - the Coventry Canal owning the other half up to Fradley!

Oh, and any reason why aren't Torkey and Lincoln actually "interchange stations" - shouldn't they be Round Dots?

Cheers and well done,

Mike

Oh - And while you don't really have the room, what about marking the limit of the Tidal Aire as Rawcliffe - a place I'm hoping to get to this summer with my narrowboat!

Edited by mykaskin

Another update which hopefully incorporates all the suggestions - although I haven't marked out an extra stretch after Lechlade. We'll use RyanAir rules - it's vaguely in the vicinity of Lechlade, so we'll call it Lechlade :lol:

I've also changed the use of colours so that hopefully almost every canal has its own colour now - it does mean lots of very close shades, but hopefully still differentiable.

Any more errors? Or any new ones crept in?

gallery_3902_484_24068.png

Edited by tafkam

I reckon tafkam should get some sort of recognition for this work, maybe a pinned forum link?.... or at least a box of toffees

Well if a high definition file was produced, that could be printed up in, say, A3 or bigger, for a poster in my son's room, I'd happily bung a couple of quid in tafkam's paypal account, for it to be emailed to me.

He loves it and already has a laminated copy that he sits and traces routes on (then compares them to his Nicholsons).

Well if a high definition file was produced, that could be printed up in, say, A3 or bigger, for a poster in my son's room, I'd happily bung a couple of quid in tafkam's paypal account, for it to be emailed to me.

Me too!

Thanks for all the comments, folks!

I've certainly no intention of making any money from it, but I'm happy to look at scaling up. Out of interest, what sort of resolution would people need for printing at A3 size? Would 300dpi for an image roughly 11½" x 15" work?

Great map! Even if you don't want to make money out of it, might be fairly grumpy if someone else did after nicking it. A lovely bit of work like this deserves recognition! Publishing 'properly' isn't a bad idea and may not be too hard. There are lots of small-scale publishers out there if you're interested - have a peek at who publishes some of the other waterways/train/other heritage maps on sale. There's bound to be someone on here who knows more about this kind of thing.

Me too!

Me three!

He loves it and already has a laminated copy that he sits and traces routes on (then compares them to his Nicholsons).

oo, somebody else with a laminator addiction.... good idea, but I still think it should be pinned on the forum, then if anybody else tries to lay claim and fortune from it then we can shoot them down in flames and gun shot chips of marble.....

I really do watch way too much tv!

I have quickly sketched out some basics of a much larger scale version - at around a3 size at 300dpi I hope.

Is anyone who is likely to be able to print at that size able to check to see if the quality is good enough - rather than me complete the whole thing and not really get anywhere with it!

I have uploaded it elsewhere as obviously the file size is considerably larger now:

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/7523/trial.png