Walking along the canal

AlanJ

Featured Posts

We're going on holiday soon (unfortunately not on the canal) and were thinking about having a walk along the towpath at some point on the way back; the question is where to go...

We're travelling up the M5, M42 and onto the M1 through the midland region; anyone got any suggestions where we can get to the canal easily that has some nice stretches to stretch our legs on?

A wet one :lol:

Seriously though - I don't really mind. It is simply that we are passing through the area and enjoy being around the canals. A rural one would be more preferable to an urban one.

It's the accessability to the major trunk roads that is more important as we don't want to be trecking too far out of the way

You'll pass over or close to many canals on your route, is just getting to them that's the problem! One of the things I like about my Garmin GPS is that is shows all the waterways, and even names them.

If you come off the M5 at J6, the Worcs and Birmingham canal is very close. Take to road towards Droitwich and you'll see the Offerton Locks. You could walk up the locks towards Tibberton, going under the M5.

Alvechurch isn't far off the M42 either. I'd probably be tempted to head for the Tardebigge flight, and have a walk there. In fact, with a decent map you could probably work out a way of cutting off the M42/M5 corner and going cross country via canal stops. That's if you've got a reasonable amount of time.

We're going on holiday soon (unfortunately not on the canal) and were thinking about having a walk along the towpath at some point on the way back; the question is where to go...

We're travelling up the M5, M42 and onto the M1 through the midland region; anyone got any suggestions where we can get to the canal easily that has some nice stretches to stretch our legs on?

Top of my head

from A42 / M1 junction you are very close to Trent Lock / Erewash / Sawley neck of the woods - Park at Sawley Marina walk down to the locks over the footbridge by the railway and down the Trent to Trent Lock and the Erewash Canal/ Soar/Trent

or head for Shardlow for the old working boats and a stroll up the Trent and Mersey

how long do you want to walk for?

Probably an hour or so. We'll be in the car most of the day so it will be good to stretch the legs properly and let the kids run around

Thanks for some excellent suggestions; it's wonderful to be able to tap into local knowledge like this :lol:

Keep the suggestions coming!

Edited by AlanJ

M42 J4 you would have a choice of the North Stratford around Hockley Heath or Lapworth Locks or the Grand Union at Knowle all within a few minutes of the motorway . Another possibility would be a short detour down the M40 from the M42/M40 Junction which would allow a visit to Hatton .

If you go South...

Stop at Watford Gap Services, park in the corner of the car park (North Bound), hop over the fence and turn right and you are on the Leicester Line at the Watford Flight. Or go left down to Norton Junction.

Junction 15A Services and you are on the Northampton Arm.

ha ha

watford gap services. go out of the access roads onto the A5 and stop at the New Inn , buckby Top lock.

The barriers at WatGap havn't worked for two years, they wouldn't let me spend the money to fix them and then they made me redundant, so I'm the only person who knows the codes and company who installed them :lol:

If they do get fixed, you can be sure I will post the codes on a Forum near you !! :lol:

From the New Inn you can wander up the Leicester Line to the Watford Flight (not accessible by road, down the Buckby flight to Whilton Marina or along the lovely new towpath towards welton wharf and braunston Tunnel, depending on time, you could walk across the top where the old horse track is still there and down into Braunston itself.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I don't think we'll be heading down towards Watford Gap as it's a bit too far out of the way really.

I suspect we'll probably head either around Lapworth/Hatton or Shardlow as we'll be cutting from the M42 up towards Nottingham