Applying Vinyl Stripe

Badger

Featured Posts

Hi, I am looking for tips. I am repainting my boat shortly. and intend to replace the painted on stripe. I have brought a 1.5 inch vinyl stripe to apply to the cabin sides. The present painted stripe is about as straight as a donkeys hind leg, so I am looking for tips as to how to apply the tape in a straighter line as possible. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards Badger

I anticipated difficulties but it was so easy.

The adhesive is pressure sensitive, so you have opportunity to adjust it.

I made pencil marks at a fixed distance to get lines parallel to the top edge of the cabin side.

(Initially I fixed a builder's string line, to extend the marks into a continuous line. Not necessary. The tape is so light that it does not really sag much.) Pressed one end firmly to the cabin side - this acted as an anchor.

Unrolled about 4 metres and stretched it tight, fitting it to the first mark, pressing it gently into place. Continued for the second and third marks.

Squinted along it and made minor corrections.

Firmed it down along its length.

One of those jobs that seems difficult until you actually do it.

I anticipated difficulties but it was so easy.

The adhesive is pressure sensitive, so you have opportunity to adjust it.

I made pencil marks at a fixed distance to get lines parallel to the top edge of the cabin side.

(Initially I fixed a builder's string line, to extend the marks into a continuous line. Not necessary. The tape is so light that it does not really sag much.) Pressed one end firmly to the cabin side - this acted as an anchor.

Unrolled about 4 metres and stretched it tight, fitting it to the first mark, pressing it gently into place. Continued for the second and third marks.

Squinted along it and made minor corrections.

Firmed it down along its length.

One of those jobs that seems difficult until you actually do it.

How far apart was each mark ?.

Badger

I agree.

This was a job that I was not looking forward to some years ago.

It was really easy. Make sure all your lines are the same distance from the known edges of the boat and hey presto job done.

I have in the past, but not on a boat but the same priciple is a quick squirt of washing up liquid. this then dries and the "sticker" sticks as it say on.............

Martyn

I agree.

This was a job that I was not looking forward to some years ago.

It was really easy. Make sure all your lines are the same distance from the known edges of the boat and hey presto job done.

I have in the past, but not on a boat but the same priciple is a quick squirt of washing up liquid. this then dries and the "sticker" sticks as it say on.............

Martyn

If I may just ask a question. Can you enlarge on the washing up liquid bit? Don't quite understand what you mean. Also where is a good place to get quality tape?

Thanks

Edited by Guest

Good vinyl suppiers have plenty of it. Find the numbers in magazines. "Boat Names" or "SAC" are two that come to mind.

The washing up liquid I usually squirt on the wife for later.

Sorry, just a little to lubricate the surface of the boat to allow "movement" to get into the right place. I used this method to apply large boat names etc. but painted the coach lines. I think they look better than stickers. I wasn't clever enoegh to paint the name.

That's if you are being serious and not winding me up.

Martyn

Edited by Nightwatch1

If I may just ask a question. Can you enlarge on the washing up liquid bit? Don't quite understand what you mean. Also where is a good place to get quality tape?

Thanks

SAC mention the use of washing up liquid in their instructions.

SAC mention the use of washing up liquid in their instructions.

A while back we used some self-adhesive, opaque, vinyl film to 'frost' our bathroom window.

The instructions for this called for washing up 'slip' solution - and we nearly didn't apply enough to be able to get the bubbles out. Presumably it's easier on a small stripe than a large window.

Biggest problem we had was keeping the surface dust-free - and, erm, we didn't, completely... :-)

PC

Good vinyl suppiers have plenty of it. Find the numbers in magazines. "Boat Names" or "SAC" are two that come to mind.

The washing up liquid I usually squirt on the wife for later.

Sorry, just a little to lubricate the surface of the boat to allow "movement" to get into the right place. I used this method to apply large boat names etc. but painted the coach lines. I think they look better than stickers. I wasn't clever enoegh to paint the name.

That's if you are being serious and not winding me up.

Martyn

Dead serious, never heard of it before :lol: Would have thought it would stop the stuff from sticking, but obviously not.

Dead serious, never heard of it before :lol: Would have thought it would stop the stuff from sticking, but obviously not.

OK for lettering, etc. but I wouldn't use it for stripes which you want to position once and fix without slipping or sagging.

The other question I forgot to ask was...... What is the right thing to do at the corners, just butt joint, or lap, or a mitre ?.

Badger

Not sure whether it's boaty practice but I like the Art Deco style corner decoration which has the advantage of being all straight edges. Basically you stop both lines short of joining and then put lines at 90 degrees extending inwards to form a small square on the inside of the corner.

I'm way to lazy to draw this and then go through the Photobucket rigmarole, so try this link: http://www.golem-baukeramik.de/eng/art_nou...-332/index.html

The small solid square on its own is an optional extra - personally I think it looks better without.

Edited by sociable_hermit

The other question I forgot to ask was...... What is the right thing to do at the corners, just butt joint, or lap, or a mitre ?.

Badger

I overran the corner with both tapes, then trimmed off square with a stanley knife.

The end that you pull tight may get distorted when you stick it down, so the bad bit is cut off.

I believe in the K.I.S.S. pricniple.

Would recomend lap joints at corners. Calenderised self adhesive vinyl (as opossed to cast vinyl) is made by stretching vinyl out into sheet form and as a consequence of this the vinyl has a tendancy to shink back a little over a period of time. Butt joints would thefefore show a thin line of the base paint after a period of time as the vinyl shrinks a little.

When I applied the stripes to our boat I just placed small pieces of masking tape at about 1m spacing to act as a guide. Try not to stretch the tape as you apply it though.

Mike

Stick on Signs