Que Sera Sera

Digipete

Featured Posts

Sorry to hear about the boat.

Whats the latest news on it?

GE

We still have no news - positive negative or otherwise

There are still two threads going, you need to read the other one too (clicky to the most recent page).

Edited by Keeping Up

I have been going through the posts tha refer to possible sightings . Unless I have missed some all seem to have been in the area between Shackerstone on the Ashby ,on the Coventry Canal and on the Trent & Mersey from Fradley down to Burton - all in all this is a relatively small area in canal terms and includes two Bw offices and the boats base at Streethay. All the sightings seem to have been reported to the owners and it does not seem that anyone else has heard anything .

I think we have forum members or members contacts in that area so I would have thought by now that someone other than the owners would have heard something even if it was not an actual sighting .

My point is that I am beginning to wonder if all the sightings are genuine - or is someone feeding the owners misinformation and the boat is somewhere else entirely .

My question to the owners therefore is "Do you know or Do you trust everyone that has reported a sighting to you" ?

I note that despite several requests the CIN No has still not been provided. This will not be visible to the casual passer by, but if someone seeks to sell the boat it will be of great help. Either a Liverpool Boat fitted out by Grantham Bridge Boat Services will come on to the market with an identifying number, or a not-very-old Liverpool Boat with its CIN number removed from the swim with an angle grinder will turn up for sale.

May we please have that number?

I have requested the number from Carole for you. I understand why the number would be of benefit to someone in the trade but I doubt that anyone on this forum would consider parting with cash for a boat which fitted the description of this one with or without a CIN number.

I will update the thread as soon as I get the information. I would also point out that if anyone finds themselves requiring information about the boat then they can always call Carole themselves - her number is published on the thread and she is more than happy to speak to anyone (especially if it might help to find the boat)

I apologise if I had missed your request for the information before. Please - if I have missed answering anyone elses questions and they have a genuine reason to believe the answer might be helpful in locating the boat then do not wait for me to get one the case - just give Carole a ring.

If Distinctive Charters arranged the original fraudulent hire, the booking and the payment, could you tell us what Distinctive Charters are doing about finding the boat or compensating the owners in the meantime?

Following the link to the Distinctive Charters website from the blog, it appears to be further bad news for the owners as the site states

We at Distinctive Charters, would like it to be known that the hire transaction was carried out without the knowledge of Distinctive Charters.

Distinctive Charters pride themselves in carrying out in-depth identity checks of all hirers. In this instance the owners failed miserably, releasing the boat, relying on verbal information and receiving what turned out to be a dud cheque. Further more the insurers of the boat have decided that since the owners bypassed Distinctive Charters with this particular booking they will not cover the loss.

Thank you Roger.

I have queried Distinctive Charters and their vetting procedure at least twice but, as with everything else, answers never seem to come back.

While I fully appreciate everything that Rose has said and the calming influence she has tried to apply, I share everyone else's frustrations.

I still find it quite ironic that a family should give a boat the ultimate laid-back, laissez-faire name and then get so stressed when it goes missing. If they get her back, perhaps they should consider another name.

I have requested the number from Carole for you. I understand why the number would be of benefit to someone in the trade but I doubt that anyone on this forum would consider parting with cash for a boat which fitted the description of this one with or without a CIN number.

I will update the thread as soon as I get the information. I would also point out that if anyone finds themselves requiring information about the boat then they can always call Carole themselves - her number is published on the thread and she is more than happy to speak to anyone (especially if it might help to find the boat)

I apologise if I had missed your request for the information before. Please - if I have missed answering anyone elses questions and they have a genuine reason to believe the answer might be helpful in locating the boat then do not wait for me to get one the case - just give Carole a ring.

Can you put in again, I've just gone through both threads and didn't see it.

Can they be merged once again.

Could the moderators put it in the heading so that it's handy if required urgently.

Edited by johnjo

Can you put in again, I've just gone through both threads and didn't see it.

Can they be merged once again.

Could the moderators put it in the heading so that it's handy if required urgently.

It is in the pinned thread which appears under general boating so it is easily accessible at any time ;

Clicky with original information

from post 1 :-

Registration number 511284

No, they meant her phone number.

Still from post #1:

"12) PLEASE CALL CAROLE ON 07825 331217 IF YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION AND BEFORE SOMEONE SAYS ANYTHING WE HAVE A SEPERATE PHONE LINE FOR PRIVET PHONE CALLS SO ITS FINE TO POST IT ON HERE"

I suppose they could hedge their bets and post the privet number too :lol:

It is in the pinned thread which appears under general boating so it is easily accessible at any time ;

Clicky with original information

Much easier to just post it surely!

If anyone has any information then please contact the owner (Carole) on 07825331217 or

contact Staffordshire Police on 0300 123 4455, quoting crime number XA-17173 2009

Edit. Must have taken longer to post than I thought! Still, point made twice!

Edited by johnjo

A Liverpool shell is not exactly distinctive in that there are lots of them on the waterways. And a buyer may not necessarily be a member of this forum. A CIN number would be useful.

from post 1 :-

Registration number 511284

That is the BW registration number. It is easily removed from the boat. The CIN is 14 alpha-numeric characters, starting GB-, and embossed or welded on to the swim. It will be in the owner's manual on the Declaration of Conformity as well. It has been a requirement since June 1998.

Much easier to just post it surely!

If anyone has any information then please contact the owner (Carole) on 07825331217 or

contact Staffordshire Police on 0300 123 4455, quoting crime number XA-17173 2009

Thank you Johnjo -

No easier than what I did actually although I concur that it is easier for people to read. I suspect that if I had done that someone would have asked where the information was and once again complained about how many threads are running so I thought a reminder where we can all find this basic information was due in case it is someone reading this that spots the boat in the morning and needs to locate it fast.

There was no intention to annoy anyone

Thank you Johnjo -

No easier than what I did actually although I concur that it is easier for people to read. I suspect that if I had done that someone would have asked where the information was and once again complained about how many threads are running so I thought a reminder where we can all find this basic information was due in case it is someone reading this that spots the boat in the morning and needs to locate it fast.

There was no intention to annoy anyone

I am sure that was not your intention, we are just getting a little frustrated with an apparent percieved lack of input from the owners, regardless of their PC experience or access.

Edit. Plus, more than one thread dosen't help!

Edited by johnjo

I am sure that was not your intention, we are just getting a little frustrated with an apparent percieved lack of input from the owners, regardless of their PC experience or access.

Edit. Plus, more than one thread dosen't help!

We have just done from the top of Napton Flight to Fenny Compton and no sight of her, we will continue looking to the Thames.

Sorry if the answer to this is on one of the threads.

I was at Mercia on Saturday and was told, by a boater who said they knew the owners of Que Sera Sera, that the car used by the people who took their boat was a silver Audi TT on a 53 plate.

If this is fact it may be something else to keep an eye out for as well.

Could the owners of the boat confirm whether this is correct?

As stated this is what I was told and if it is incorrect I'll delete my post immediately to avoid further confusion.

GB

Edited to show plate is 53.

Edited by Greybeard

Just thinking on,

A number of Liverpool boats passed my moorings over the course of the weekend, and with this missing boat being at the forefront for the past couple of weeks I've taken an interest, in particular, to the easily and not so easily recognisable features of Liverpool boats, and just under half the boats which went past, I noticed, had the rather large drainage holes in the handrail like Que Sera Sera has.

Something to bear in mind as unless something has been changed by a previous owner, Liverpool boats were pretty much standard, with a few design changes now and again during the past years.

In that case, won't the full registration number be on CCTV at the marina?

Or possibly any cctv nearby the marina, local stores or garages. quite an easy make and colour of car to spot if it is indeed the car.

As mentioned it's what I was told and I have no idea if it's fact which is why it would be good to get it confirmed.

It could stop someone else getting conned as well - boat owner or chandlery.

GB

I don't doubt Cheshire Rose's sincere desire to help locate this missing boat.

I'd love to find it too - wouldn't we all?

But there is a great deal to me that simply does not ring true about this whole business. Sightings of the boat undisguised days after the failure to return in the vicinity of the home mooring - a failure to provide information - deep expressions of hurt, anguish and trauma instead of explanation when anyone poses an incisive question.

As for this "we are hopeless with computers stuff", well maybe, but how was it going to work then, with an internet-based business like Distinctive Charters? They would need to contact their members/boat owners by email for example. They would not have been waiting on snail mail to confirm bookings and availability with an owner, would they?

There is something rotten in the State of Denmark here, missing (I refuse to say "stolen") boat or otherwise. The owners requested the help of forum members. In return forum members are surely entitled to credible explanations.

I have now spoken to Carole and I have an important update:

As requested the CIN number - IBCO 2674

At no point have the owners ever claimed that the hire transaction which has led to the dissapearance of the boat was associated with Distinctive Charters. This transaction was carried out completely independantly.

It has been confirmed to me by Carole that there is doubt over the validity of their insurance policy on the boat at this time. I think this fact is demonstrable evidence that this is not a scam.

If they do not find the boat then they have not only lost their pride and joy they have also lost a valuable asset and a source of income with no realistic hope of replacing it without valid insurance.

Please let us try and avoid any further speculation and do what we can to assist these people in their efforts to locate the boat if at all possible.

Edited by cheshire~rose

As mentioned it's what I was told and I have no idea if it's fact which is why it would be good to get it confirmed.

It could stop someone else getting conned as well - boat owner or chandlery.

GB

Hopefully it would be, but bearing in mind a lot of CCTV systems work on a loop system, unless someone has done the rounds of likely places and asked for the media to be kept for the period that matters it could all have been wiped by now, and alas if my memeory serves me correctly wasn't the PC covering this incedent on TWO WEEKS hols and no-one else assigned in the meantime. I PM'd the owners last week about this but have no idea if they acted on it.

I don't doubt Cheshire Rose's sincere desire to help locate this missing boat.

I'd love to find it too - wouldn't we all?

But there is a great deal to me that simply does not ring true about this whole business. Sightings of the boat undisguised days after the failure to return in the vicinity of the home mooring - a failure to provide information - deep expressions of hurt, anguish and trauma instead of explanation when anyone poses an incisive question.

As for this "we are hopeless with computers stuff", well maybe, but how was it going to work then, with an internet-based business like Distinctive Charters? They would need to contact their members/boat owners by email for example. They would not have been waiting on snail mail to confirm bookings and availability with an owner, would they?

There is something rotten in the State of Denmark here, missing (I refuse to say "stolen") boat or otherwise. The owners requested the help of forum members. In return forum members are surely entitled to credible explanations.

I think it said on the other thread that Distinctive Charters did NOT hire out this boat, or have denied they hired out the boat. Again what is actually what is a mystery LOL

IMO one of the biggest clues to this is the hire deal.

I have now spoken to Carole and I have an important update:

As requested the CIN number - IBCO 2674

I think you will find that is LBCO - for Liverpool Boat Co. It is not the CIN - it is the number LBC applied to the shell when they sold it as a shell with the Annexe IIIA. Which means that almost certainly this boat is not RCD compliant as it has no CIN number. Fine if the owners fitted it out for their own private use without professional help and did not sell it on for 5 years once finished. However, they have stated it was professionally fitted out at Hillmorton. Furthermore they are chartering it to third parties. If so, that is a criminal offence. So I repeat, is there a 14 digit CIN, issued by the person(s) who completed the build? If that was the owners, it will begin GB-RYA*********. And a signed Declaration of Conformity?

If it's a Liverpool Boat it will be GB-LB not IB as a prefix.

Chris

My mistake sorry - The text I received was in small case and I misread it as ib when now I look again it says lb - Carole has said that is the "hull identification number"

I think you will find that is LBCO - for Liverpool Boat Co. It is not the CIN - it is the number LBC applied to the shell when they sold it as a shell with the Annexe IIIA. Which means that almost certainly this boat is not RCD compliant as it has no CIN number. Fine if the owners fitted it out for their own private use without professional help and did not sell it on for 5 years once finished. However, they have stated it was professionally fitted out at Hillmorton. Furthermore they are chartering it to third parties. If so, that is a criminal offence. So I repeat, is there a 14 digit CIN, issued by the person(s) who completed the build? If that was the owners, it will begin GB-RYA*********. And a signed Declaration of Conformity?

Thanks Dominic - this is the problem - it is the blind leading the blind - I asked for a CIN number not really understanding what one was or what it should look like - I got a hull identification number and accepted it as the information we required.

Now it is a bit late to be texting Carole again right now I think and although I can text her tomorrow that whole description that you just posted would be very much easier to relay to Carole in a conversation than it is via text and so from my point of view it will now have to wait until tomorrow evening - that is unless someone else who knows what they are on about (unlike me) can give Carole a call and get the information during the day?

I will have to check and see if it has been done tomorrow night and will speak to Carole again if not.

Sorry if the answer to this is on one of the threads.

I was at Mercia on Saturday and was told, by a boater who said they knew the owners of Que Sera Sera, that the car used by the people who took their boat was a silver Audi TT on a 54 plate.

If this is fact it may be something else to keep an eye out for as well.

Could the owners of the boat confirm whether this is correct?

As stated this is what I was told and if it is incorrect I'll delete my post immediately to avoid further confusion.

GB

I can confirm this to be correct - except it was a 53 plate