sheffield basin

buzz

Featured Posts

Hi,I'm new on sight, could anyone help me.

I'm planning to go to sheffield in July and was wandering if there was any visitor moorings with an electricy supply, or is there a marina I could book into.

Regards Colin

Edited by buzz

Hiya, and welcome to the forum!

Sheffield basin's recently been taken over by Calder Valley Marine and as far as I understand they're only going to have one visitor mooring, which you'll probably have to pay for, at least after the first night (nothing's clear yet). No electric on the visitor moorings (as they were) but if you call Gordon he may be able to get you on the pontoons which have electric - sorry, can't seem to find his number but you can google it. Depends how long your boat is.

Nearest BW visitor moorings are Eastwood Lock in Rotherham, which do have electric (card-operated) and a 9-day (I think) stay. They're about 15 mins cycle from the station in daylight. There may be electric at Doncaster town moorings too, if I remember.

Hope that helps!

Sheffield basin's recently been taken over by Calder Valley Marine and as far as I understand they're only going to have one visitor mooring, which you'll probably have to pay for, at least after the first night (nothing's clear yet). No electric on the visitor moorings (as they were) but if you call Gordon he may be able to get you on the pontoons which have electric - sorry, can't seem to find his number but you can google it. Depends how long your boat is.

Nearest BW visitor moorings are Eastwood Lock in Rotherham, which do have electric (card-operated) and a 9-day (I think) stay. They're about 15 mins cycle from the station in daylight. There may be electric at Doncaster town moorings too, if I remember.

Hope that helps!

I thought BW had to keep visitor moorings available. I really wanted to be in the basin or near it for two weeks and on the electric to save me running the engine everydayThank for the info though, will try to find contact number you sugested. Again many thanks, Regards Colin.

Hope that helps!

I thought BW had to keep visitor moorings available. I really wanted to be in the basin or near it for two weeks and on the electric to save me running the engine everyday. Thank for the info though, will try to find contact number you suggested. Again many thanks, Regards Colin.

Hope that helps!

I would have thought there was some visitor moorings at Tinsley Basin. I will check tomorrow or Wednesday

I thought BW had to keep visitor moorings available.

I'd love to know where this assumption (voiced by other posters) that BW must provide visitor moorings comes from.

You are allowed to moor for up to 14 days on the towpath, except where the towpath has been designated for shorter term use for visitor mooring, or where it has been designated for long term moorings.

In the vast majority of cases where BW designate a visitor mooring, the designation is there principally to impose a shorter than 14 day limit, and there is no obligation to provide formal 14-day visitor moorings with hard edges etc etc anywhere.

No visitor moorings at Tinsley - I asked about them when I was looking for winter moorings.

BW definitely aren't obliged to provide visitor moorings, and certainly not with electric - it's only since i moved up to the SSYN I've seen electric on visitor moorings.

In theory you are free to moor on the towpath outside the basin - except you wouldn't want to for security reasons and its too shallow anyway. So in effect if you want to come into Sheffield you're forced to pay CVM for their moorings. Electric still works on BW cards.

Calder Valley Marine main no is 01924 467976 - the person you need to get hold of is Gordon.

Alternatively, Eastwood Lock at Rotherham's commutable to Sheffield

No visitor moorings at Tinsley - I asked about them when I was looking for winter moorings.

BW definitely aren't obliged to provide visitor moorings, and certainly not with electric - it's only since i moved up to the SSYN I've seen electric on visitor moorings.

In theory you are free to moor on the towpath outside the basin - except you wouldn't want to for security reasons and its too shallow anyway. So in effect if you want to come into Sheffield you're forced to pay CVM for their moorings. Electric still works on BW cards.

Calder Valley Marine main no is 01924 467976 - the person you need to get hold of is Gordon.

Alternatively, Eastwood Lock at Rotherham's commutable to Sheffield

Thanks for the info, will call CVM, don't mind paying for short term mooring, just wanted a week or so to visit my daughter who lives in sheffield.

Regards Colin

Hi, I have a mooring locally it's a BW one, there is no boat on it - see my post as I am looking for a Wide Beam to put on there, I do not think I could loan it out FOC, could I?????

I think it might be classed as sub letting even if no money changed hands.

If anyone knows any different let me know.

I've got a mooring in Birmingham that I'm still paying for even though I've moved to Sheffield (until I know if I want to go back or not). The local BW office in Bham were OK for me to lend it out (with no money changing hands) as long as I got their agreement first. I suspect if you ask nicely to lend it FOC on a temporary basis, your local moorings officer will probably be fine about it. If you don't ask, they may get stroppy. My winter mooring in Sheffield ends end March - I may be interested in coming to some arrangement over Easter!