gas locker location

spindle

Featured Posts

Hi, Im looking for advice/views on the problem I may/may not have caused myself. The plan was as per photo to locate 2 small gas bottles in the housing as shown. I am about to install the gas system to a cooker only. (to be checked by CORGI). Whilst I am sure that I can comply with the BSS (the bottles etc. will be below the the opening) I note that BS EN ISO10239 says that "cylinder lockers when closed will be vapour tight to the craft interior openable only from outside the craft". The housing has two external bottom vents. Should by some means gas escape over the lid then no doubt it would drain out through the cockpit vents. The photo is an old one, I am now on the water so am loath to alter my original design. The housing lid and raised water tank lid were intended to, and do, provide ideal access steps for my elderly mother.

Whilst not keen on gas, I was happy with the safety aspect of my intended cylinder location, however ISO10239 has put doubt in my mind. Other views would be appreciated.

Gaslocker.jpg

Its the starboard bow of the boat outside the front of the cabin built into the gunnel.

if its above the waterline and able to vent overboard from the bottom should be ok it looked to me like it was welded onto the base plate in the stern below the rear doors 82.gif must get these glass eyes polished201.gif

Hi, Im looking for advice/views on the problem I may/may not have caused myself. The plan was as per photo to locate 2 small gas bottles in the housing as shown. I am about to install the gas system to a cooker only. (to be checked by CORGI). Whilst I am sure that I can comply with the BSS (the bottles etc. will be below the the opening) I note that BS EN ISO10239 says that "cylinder lockers when closed will be vapour tight to the craft interior openable only from outside the craft". The housing has two external bottom vents. Should by some means gas escape over the lid then no doubt it would drain out through the cockpit vents. The photo is an old one, I am now on the water so am loath to alter my original design. The housing lid and raised water tank lid were intended to, and do, provide ideal access steps for my elderly mother.

Whilst not keen on gas, I was happy with the safety aspect of my intended cylinder location, however ISO10239 has put doubt in my mind. Other views would be appreciated.

Gaslocker.jpg

:lol: Hi

Gas is heavier than air, for leakage treat it like water so it shouldnt leap out the top of the locker ( Might smell a bit ) if it falls to the bottom of the gas locker and vents out to the outside of the shell I understand that to be ok. I AM NOT A CORGI or any other kind of dog so ask one of them guys,

Regards

Tim

Provided the construction of the front access is above the drainage holes in the cratch, I cannot see any issues regarding the gas installation. Any gas leaking is able to vent overboard through the drainage holes without entering the cabin if there is at least an inch or two below the door opening.

Even if a cratch cover was fitted, the drainage holes are still there and the cratch is still outside the cabin.

Thanks for the interest & comments. The future addition of a cratch cover was of concern. The new photo should clarify things and shows one of the two locker vents. the upstand to the cabin doors is a couple of inches with ventilation louvres in the doors 3 or 4 inches above that. I am looking at installing 2 x 3.9kg cylinders, regulator, valve plus bubble tester below the lip of the cranked lid.

GLshowingVent.jpg