Shower tray's that don't cost the earth...

estwdjhn

Featured Posts

The shower tray on my boat has a split in it - I found this when I took it out to deal with the gravel ballast.

Simple I thought - so I measured it, and then went to Wickes. No joy, nothing that small, try the Pumbing centre...

Tried them - nothing that small, we could get one specially made, only about £300. Try the local marina/chandlers.

They could get them, special order, only £94.

Given that a 700mm square shower tray is about £30, but is rather too big for most narrowboats (I've a centre gangway, shower one side, toilet the other boat), has anyone got any suggestions for getting one the right size, at a reasonable price?

Failing that, I'll may my own from some MDF and some tiles, any suggestions on the easiest way of doing that.

what size does it need to be?

ah I didn't see it in the thread title... :lol:

I'm guessing 500mm... :lol:

Only place I've seen is Chandleries or Caravan/camper van suppliers. In the end I dumped the idea of going for an undersized tray as I wanted the elbow room in the shower. This may not be possible for you, as you're re-fitting.

The shower tray on my boat has a split in it - I found this when I took it out to deal with the gravel ballast.

Simple I thought - so I measured it, and then went to Wickes. No joy, nothing that small, try the Pumbing centre...

Tried them - nothing that small, we could get one specially made, only about £300. Try the local marina/chandlers.

They could get them, special order, only £94.

Given that a 700mm square shower tray is about £30, but is rather too big for most narrowboats (I've a centre gangway, shower one side, toilet the other boat), has anyone got any suggestions for getting one the right size, at a reasonable price?

Failing that, I'll may my own from some MDF and some tiles, any suggestions on the easiest way of doing that.

Don't use tiles on MDF.

Water will penetrate the grout and cause the MDF to swell.

At least use waterproof or marine ply.

Have you thought of getting a sheet steel (which you could paint) or alloy one made from an offcut.

My local steel stockist carries all sorts of offcuts(?)

Don't use tiles on MDF.

Water will penetrate the grout and cause the MDF to swell.

At least use waterproof or marine ply.

Have you thought of getting a sheet steel (which you could paint) or alloy one made from an offcut.

My local steel stockist carries all sorts of offcuts(?)

Yep, we had a custom built shower room in my mum's old house and the floor was made using regular plywood and the poor thing, although very nice, leaked like a sieve, wasn't such a problem for the ceiling below though as that was already ruined by the hot water tank bursting, but having a shower in the dining room while someone above is showering wasn't a nice thought... :lol:

You could also try to repair your existing one using fibreglass body repair stuff you can get from a car shop, my brother used something like it, which came with fibreglass webbing and some resin gel or something, to repair his bath after his *ahem* slightly overweight partner put a big crack in it, worked a treat too... :lol:

You could also try to repair your existing one using fibreglass body repair stuff you can get from a car shop, my brother used something like it, which came with fibreglass webbing and some resin gel or something, to repair his bath after his *ahem* slightly overweight partner put a big crack in it, worked a treat too... :lol:

If you go down the repair route, after laminating it, spray the underneath with expanding foam so it is solid which will prevent anymore splitting.