Eco-Fan, doe's it work?

captain rosie

Featured Posts

The brief research I have done on these suggests you put them between the processor and heat sink in a PC, so the 320 Watts could mean anything. No way is it the electrical output if you hot it up.

Richard

the 320w is probably its power consumption when at the max rated temperature which its states somewhere as 138degrees

Its intended to cool a chip.

Edited by Pretty Funked Up

• 2 weeks later...
Eco-fans use the heat from a stove to drive the fan blades around.

Its just a circulatory thing.

They do work but only by spreading heat and reducing hot spots.

Well, sort of. They use the thermoelectric effect where if you have a circuit of dissimilar metals and the junctions are at different temperatures a voltage is produced. Connect lots of these together and you have what is called a thermopile. You need to keep the junctions at different temperatures which is the reason for the cooling fins on the top. The electric current produced drives a small electric motor.

Nick

Well, sort of. They use the thermoelectric effect where if you have a circuit of dissimilar metals and the junctions are at different temperatures a voltage is produced. Connect lots of these together and you have what is called a thermopile. You need to keep the junctions at different temperatures which is the reason for the cooling fins on the top. The electric current produced drives a small electric motor.

Nick

It's not actually dissimilar metals nowadays but a special semiconductor junction which utilses the Seebeck-Peltier effect. If you heat one side of the junction and "cool" the other (well less hot) then a voltage is produced. It works the other way round too....... if you apply a voltage across the junction, one side gets hot and the other cold. That's how the picnic cool boxes work.

Just out of interest, when my Eco-Fan (3-bladed) is going really fast it generates about 1.1v.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
hi all, my mate has "lent" me her eco-fan, it cost her £75. I can't seem to tell if it makes my boat any hotter? I think it's warmth is purely phsyco-sematic (spelling?) It spins so i feel warmer! I've used a thermometer (because i'm a bit geeky like that) but the readings are very similar. Whats the science behind it? Before i buy it from her i want to make sure it's a sound investment? Any thoughts? Are Eco-Fans any good?

The hubby swears ours works brilliantly - something to do with the "science of wafting" (???)

Beer aids all understanding... :lol: