Oozells loop

HYBRID

Featured Posts

Does any one know if oozells loop is open at each end? or does it only have one entrance & exit, also can you moor in the loop as a visitor.

Thanks

It has a beginning and an end and a boatyard and moorings in the middle. If you turn in at the Sealife centre there are moorings before you get to Oozels proper. More practical there as most of the loop is taken up with moored boats anyway under the boatyard umbrella. Between the two entrances there is plenty of good safe moorings so between St Vincent Street bridge and Sealife centre. Mooring on both sides. CCTV around there as well.

Does any one know if oozells loop is open at each end? or does it only have one entrance & exit, also can you moor in the loop as a visitor.

Thanks

Aaahhhh! Oozels Street Loop. Our first ever canal trip began and ended there (Brummagem Boats - remember them?) about 1980.

Mac

Hi

Oozels St loop is best accessed at the crossroads with the Sea life Centre..turn left from Gas St, right from Wolverhampton or straight ahead from Farmers Bridge. Sherborne Wharf control most of the moorings and run trip boats from there. The contact is Earle Wightman and the phone No 0121 455 6163. The stretch between the junction and the start of Sherborne Wharf, about 150 yards is private on the right and public to the left. As has already been said, lots of security bods around and CCTV too. If leaving the boat for a while, I'd try Earle for a temporary mooring

Cheers

Dave

I found when turning out at the other end to the one Dave describes, if you want to cut back towards Deep Cuttings Junction (and Farmers Bridge), that it seemed pretty tight to get round in one, and we are only 50 foot.

I think if you wanted to "turn right" out of the loop at that end with a full length boat you might have to do a bit of shunting backwards and forwards, particularly if like when we did it boats are moored abreast on both sides of the loop, right up close to the end.

I also believe most, if not all, the public mooring is on the left as you go in from Deep Cuttings junction - certainly most of that on the right is private, even before you go under a bridge into the boatyard area.

Last time we used that on the left, another boater came up to us and suggested we didn't use it , as there was a (I think) £12 per night charge. That's bo**ocks, and I've no idea where they got that from, though they clearly believed it - there is quite probably an overstaying charge, however.

Good moorings, if you can get on them - some of the best around there.

Last time we used that on the left, another boater came up to us and suggested we didn't use it , as there was a (I think) £12 per night charge. That's bo**ocks, and I've no idea where they got that from, though they clearly believed it - there is quite probably an overstaying charge, however.

Good moorings, if you can get on them - some of the best around there.

The last time I tied up there circa. 2003, the mooring rings were simply screwed to the block paving bricks and had no substance. :lol:

I guess they have improved them in the last few years?

19Sept002.jpg

Here's Debdale on one of the moorings at the end of the Oozels Street Loop. We'd come in the other end and stopped at the boat yard for diesel etc. There's only enough room for about three boats -- one had already left by the time I took this photo. You can also see that there are mooring bollards now, not rings screwed to the ground.

There are the good public moorings near to the Deepfields junction. Reasonably secure but no more so than any public mooring.

The private moorings between the bridge and the St Vincent Street end. that are run by the boatyard. are very secure. If they've got space you could leave the boat there for a while. You need a key to get to them through the gate. They found us a mooring there for a couple of nights when we broke down 2 years ago, including electric hookup because we couldn't charge our battery. I think we paid them £5 a night.

There's no difficulty getting in an out to or from any direction at the Deepfields end (sound your horn though or you may be T-boned by the trip boats). As Alan says, the 300-degree turn at the other end is not possible with a longish boat; you have to go for about a quarter mile until you reach the entrance to an old basin where you can wind. There is a full-length winding point half-way through the loop though.

Last time we used that on the left, another boater came up to us and suggested we didn't use it , as there was a (I think) £12 per night charge.

Obviously some cove had approached them each evening and relieved them of £12 - strictly cash.

Thanks

Long distance visitors:

http://picasaweb.google.com/PeterJohnScott...398531627462082

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

19Sept002.jpg

Here's Debdale on one of the moorings at the end of the Oozels Street Loop. We'd come in the other end and stopped at the boat yard for diesel etc. There's only enough room for about three boats -- one had already left by the time I took this photo. You can also see that there are mooring bollards now, not rings screwed to the ground.

Not good.

Bollards are for holding on for a short time. They are not for tying to overnight. Far too easy for miscreants to throw your ropes off a bollard.

I have vague recollections of there being a gym along that mooring, though think it was nearer to the junction. Do those buildings have car parking underneath?

Only on a contract basis and considering the cars that park there I'd imagine it's rather expensive. There aren't any moorings by the gym which is probably a good idea for the scantily clad worker outers and visually impaired boaters :lol:

Good secure moorings on Oozells St, if you need parking we can usually sort something out however you'll need to give us some warning; depending who's got a pass spare there might be a small charge but I've never seen that pass used, we can usually get another. There's us liveaboard types on Cambrian Wharf at the top of Farmer's Bridge and we have little bother, although you might need to tolerate a bit of late engine running and a noisy pub in the summer. There's usually space.

The police boat was down for both Labour conference in '07 and Tory :lol: in '08.

Sherborne Wharf does charge and is relatively secure however the local miscreants have figures out how to get round the fence, although it's very rare that they do. I believe the CCTV and very active security puts them off outside Sherborne. It's only a BW key to get in.

If it were me I'd stop at Brindley Place as it's off the beaten track of the weekend drinkers & I've never heard of any trouble there in 3 years mooring around the corner.

Hi

Oozels St loop is best accessed at the crossroads with the Sea life Centre..turn left from Gas St, right from Wolverhampton or straight ahead from Farmers Bridge. Sherborne Wharf control most of the moorings and run trip boats from there. The contact is Earle Wightman and the phone No 0121 455 6163. The stretch between the junction and the start of Sherborne Wharf, about 150 yards is private on the right and public to the left. As has already been said, lots of security bods around and CCTV too. If leaving the boat for a while, I'd try Earle for a temporary mooring

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for the tip Dave.I am taking my Ownerships boat Farndon up to Birmingham and will be overnight the day before Christmas Eve so i was wondering if I might find a secure mooring I will give Earle a call tommorow. :lol:

Thanks for the tip Dave.I am taking my Ownerships boat Farndon up to Birmingham and will be overnight the day before Christmas Eve so i was wondering if I might find a secure mooring I will give Earle a call tommorow. :lol:

I wouldn't spend money on a mooring in Birmingham if it's just an overnight stop. We've stopped there loads of times and never had any trouble. There's CCTV and security patrols, and if you moor at the end of the Oozels Street Loop or in the residential area at the start of the main line you're well away from the clubs.

Thanks for all the replies, I did read them just never got chance to reply before our trip, just got back from 4 days out we did the Black Country museum, Birmingham and the German market and then on to Merry Hill, before returning Kevs (Florence) boat back to Oldbury today.

Hi all.

Just a quick post to agree with an earlier one ----- Brum is a fine place to moor; have never had the slightest bother. Only mooring place I would miss is the row just beyond Worcester Bar (Heading towards Wcr.). The clubbers can be a little boisterous on exiting. Not malicious -- just thoughtless. Absolutely no need to pay for a mooring for security sake.

An equally defamed place that we've never had any bother at is Wolverhampton Top Lock and associated moorings. Maybe the odd curious wino, but that's about it.

Mike.

PS. Hybrid --- was it you I passed just by the Brades Hall Jnc and the gauging island on Monday -- you mentioned Merry Hill ? If so -- hello again !

Edited by onthecut