Should Forced diesel heating be banned from being used late at night?

nbfiresprite

Should forced Diesel Heating be banned from being used between 10pm and 7am  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Should be banned?

• No
    • What did you say?
    • Yes

Featured Posts

They have siliencers fitted so doubt they will. It is one of the perks of owning a modern boat, modern equipment.

The reason most become noisy is not the lack of a silencer but lack of maintenance, to the silencer.

Hopefully your neighbours will be as diligent, in the maintenance of their craft, as you are.

The reason most become noisy is not the lack of a silencer but lack of maintenance, to the silencer.

Hopefully your neighbours will be as diligent, in the maintenance of their craft, as you are.

So Carl, are you arguing for a ban on using forced diesel heaters late at night?

They are. Its part of boat ownership keeping it well maintained. Why else would be pay a grand or more to have them serviced once a year, for the fun?

They are. Its part of boat ownership keeping it well maintained. Why else would be pay a grand or more to have them serviced once a year, for the fun?

Then there are obviously no badly maintained, noisy diesel heaters and this thread is completely pointless.

So what are you arguing for?

See post 193:

I think it's fair to say that there are noisy and quiet systems but, if you know you've got a noisy one and it is your only form of heating, then you should consider others and moor in remote spots.

The same with generators. If they are your only source of power (or heating) and you don't own a quiet suitcase genny then moor away from others.

If someone moors up next to you and subsequently complains then I believe the "I was here first and there's a lot of canal" rule should apply.

I believe we should show consideration for others and this doesn't require draconian rules

Maybe you could show them some consideration and not moor near to them. Then all would be happy.

That is exactly what I would do.

If I was mooring up and the boat already moored was making more noise than I wished to listen to (heater, genny, kids, music or whatever), then I would carry on to a quieter spot.

Because Carlt says that he would prefer noisy heaters not to be used where they would annoy other boaters, but that he wouldn't want to see that made into a rule, while Phylis says stuff everyone else, I just want to run my heating.

Phylis - repeat after me... "I'm a troll, fol-de-rol, a wicked mean old troll".

Yes, but she's a shockingly bad one. I think she's had Dave Mayall and Carlt in agreement about her in three seperate threads... I thought trolls tried to sow disagreements.

Edited by estwdjhn

The issue here is that there ARE noisy diesel heaters. Noise at whatever time of day CAN disturb users of the waterways. Anyone generating excessive noise SHOULD be considerate of others.

For those who generally are not considerate of others you should not be asking for new enforcement rules.

I was canoeing on my way back from collecting wood for my stove when I heard a noise I thought was my neighbour at the time's generator. He was having trouble with his engine and using a noisy generator during the 'legal' times. I was approximately 1/2 mile up the canal at the time and was astonished at how far the noise was travelling. As I approached where I was moored I realised it was not my neighbour's noisy genny, but actually a diesel heater, that once on my boat I could still hear even though it was moored 3 boats away, approximately 50m away. Being inside the times I was allowed to use my engine to heat my water and charge my batteries I cranked my engine up. I could still hear the diesel heater over my engine which has a cocoon around the engine and a hospital silencer (which were luckily installed when i bought the boat as I couldn't have afforded to fit them myself). I went back to the boat with the diesel heater simply out of curiosity to find that I could not hear my engine over the noise emanating from the diesel heater. Being relatively new to boating I was stunned by this and also smiled to myself about how lucky I was to have a nice quiet engine. I switched off my engine and listened to music to drown out the heater. However when I went to bed at around 11pm the noise from the diesel heater went on throughout the night and eventually I became used to the drone and managed to sleep, rather later than usual. This boat fortunately had gone the next morning.

If my calorifier ran my radiators why should it be ok, rules aside, to run a noisy diesel heater through the night, but not my quieter engine?

A few weeks I encountered another boat on a permanent offside leisure mooring, using a similar heater. This was used until later than the normal times allowed for running an engine, but seemed to be switched off at around 10pm, I presume in consideration of all the other boat users in the vicinity. This is surely acceptable, but what to do about those who don't consider others? Rules should only be put in place if they are fair... Should all boats have a decibel meter? Should vintage engines be banned? Should all diesel heaters be banned?

A bit of live and let live is surely necessary, but please consider others everyone

A few weeks I encountered another boat on a permanent offside leisure mooring, using a similar heater. This was used until later than the normal times allowed for running an engine, but seemed to be switched off at around 10pm, I presume in consideration of all the other boat users in the vicinity. This is surely acceptable, but what to do about those who don't consider others? Rules should only be put in place if they are fair... Should all boats have a decibel meter? Should vintage engines be banned? Should all diesel heaters be banned?

A bit of live and let live is surely necessary, but please consider others everyone

Maybe they went to bed?

I agree a bit of live and let live, so let the people with diesel heaters live for christ sake. Some dont have the option of changing heat source or mooring leave them alone. They have as much right to be on the waterways as anybody else. Why is smoke from solid fuel stoves not seen as a problem. I find this far more offensive than diesel heaters im afraid.

Some dont have the option of changing heat source or mooring leave them alone. They have as much right to be on the waterways as anybody else.

I think it was you who said:

If you dont like the noise of your neighbours heater move. Its a boat it can be moved to a new location.

Consideration works both ways and boats with noisy equipment can move too.

OK, philosophy.

Firstly, although I'm not an expert in the field of aesthetics, beauty is not purely in the eye of the beholder, i.e. not purely a matter of opinion. Carl's lifeboat is not ugly (and nor is its setting), and Phylis is not only very rude in saying that it is, but also demonstrates a lack of aesthetic sense.

As for rules, I'm on surer ground here. We could all get together to agree on a set of rules that we would all follow, or even just agree to be considerate, or do do unto others etc. But having done that, it is in every individual's interest to break those rules, whether others do or not. If the others stick to them, and I break them, then I gain an advantage. If others also break them, I put myself at a disadvantage by keeping them. So we might all want to stick to the rules, but none of us will unless we can be sure that the others will. So we set up someone with the authority to enforce the rules, and then all of us can keep to the rules we've all agreed, secure in the knowledge that no one else will break them. That's the Hobbesian argument anyway, which I find persuasive. It means that even if we all share the same set of goals, we still need some kind of enforcement.

Where we start if we don't share those goals, values etc... well, in boating terms it's fairly easy; we can just take ourselves off and find a group that we feel more comfortable with.

Sorry if that's a bit off topic... must confess I skipped quite a few posts.

Edited by WarriorWoman

OK, philosophy.

Firstly, although I'm not an expert in the field of aesthetics, beauty is not purely in the eye of the beholder, i.e. not purely a matter of opinion. Carl's lifeboat is not ugly (and nor is its setting), and Phylis is not only very rude in saying that it is, but also demonstrates a lack of aesthetic sense.

As for rules, I'm on surer ground here. We could all get together to agree on a set of rules that we would all follow, or even just agree to be considerate, or do do unto others etc. But having done that, it is in every individual's interest to break those rules, whether others do or not. If the others stick to them, and I break them, then I gain an advantage. If others also break them, I put myself at a disadvantage by keeping them. So we might all want to stick to the rules, but none of us will unless we can be sure that the others will. So we set up someone with the authority to enforce the rules, and then all of us can keep to the rules we've all agreed, secure in the knowledge that no one else will break them. That's the Hobbesian argument anyway, which I find persuasive. It means that even if we all share the same set of goals, we still need some kind of enforcement.

Where we start if we don't share those goals, values etc... well, in boating terms it's fairly easy; we can just take ourselves off and find a group that we feel more comfortable with.

Sorry if that's a bit off topic... must confess I skipped quite a few posts.

Where is the rule saying how you can heat your boat. I must have missed that one.

Aesthetically speaking i dont find the lines of an aged lifeboat pleasing much as i dont really like the lines of many narrowboats either. Its a matter of choice as you clearly stated yourself.

Aesthetically speaking i dont find the lines of an aged lifeboat pleasing much as i dont really like the lines of many narrowboats either. Its a matter of choice as you clearly stated yourself.

true, much like how I find the boat you have to look rather ugly - it's all a matter of opinion and taste.