4 stroke generator oil...

kayDee

Featured Posts

Hi all...

Just been silly and bought a generator and I need some oil for it - its not got any in it from new.

Is any 10W/40 oil okay or has it got to be 4 stroke 10W/40 oil?

I've found some 10W/40 semi-synthetic car engine oil - can I use that? Will that make it happy or unhappy?

Thanx!

Kay

x

Edited by kayDee

Hi all...

Just been silly and bought a generator and I need some oil for it - its not got any in it from new.

Is any 10W/40 oil okay or has it got to be 4 stroke 10W/40 oil?

I've found some 10W/40 semi-synthetic car engine oil - can I use that? Will that make it happy or unhappy?

Thanx!

Kay

x

Hi Kay

'When all else fails read the manual' :lol:

But I would think any of the above would be pefectly OK

Alex

Hi Kay

'When all else fails read the manual' :lol:

But I would think any of the above would be pefectly OK

Alex

I did! It just said 10W/40 oil but with it NOT being a car engine - I wasn't 100% it was the same kind of oil that's all...

Kay

x

I did! It just said 10W/40 oil but with it NOT being a car engine - I wasn't 100% it was the same kind of oil that's all...

Kay

x

It may pay you to check the oil spec.....it should state what rating the oil should be eg SF or greater....I believe S means spark ignition and the second letter denotes the detergent level with A being the lowest......My old generator required a fairly low spec oil.....using a higher spec than required can cause trouble due to a higher detergent level.

What is the make of generator or engine??? you may find more info on the web...some of which may even be right!!!

HTH

Gareth

Any oil of that rating should be OK but don't mix synthetic and mineral oil because it can emulsify into a nasty mix.

Thanks for that. So if I stick with the same oil (semi synthetic) I can use that with no problems then?

Thanks

Kay

x

It may pay you to check the oil spec.....it should state what rating the oil should be eg SF or greater....I believe S means spark ignition and the second letter denotes the detergent level with A being the lowest......My old generator required a fairly low spec oil.....using a higher spec than required can cause trouble due to a higher detergent level.

What is the make of generator or engine??? you may find more info on the web...some of which may even be right!!!

HTH

Gareth

Thanks Gareth. It was from B&Q - Power Performance I think it was called. The box is in the car and its too dark and scary outside to go and look...

It's new name is Jenny - Jenny Raytor... A single bell tolls and a tumble weed blows across my path... I mean towpath...

Kay

x

Thanks for that. So if I stick with the same oil (semi synthetic) I can use that with no problems then?

Thanks

Kay

x

Yes it's not good to mix the stuff, in the real world people do but if it does go wrong the results can cost a lot more than the time it takes to find the right oil.

When I was in the Army they tried to get down to just a handful of lubricants for use in everything we operated, quite commonly folk would liberate quantities for there own use and every now and then someone would end up moaning about some interesting result that had befallen their wheels. :lol:

Yes it's not good to mix the stuff, in the real world people do but if it does go wrong the results can cost a lot more than the time it takes to find the right oil.

When I was in the Army they tried to get down to just a handful of lubricants for use in everything we operated, quite commonly folk would liberate quantities for there own use and every now and then someone would end up moaning about some interesting result that had befallen their wheels. :lol:

Thanks for that Gary - that's my job now then, well... after Spooks has gone off! Trying to get oil into that little stupid hole! Hope it doesn't need more than 1 litre! That's all I've got!

Thanks again for the quick info!

Kay

x

Kay

x

Sorry Chum :lol:

I shouldn't assume you would not realise it is a mini car engine, in fact it is just like a single cylinder motorcycle engine

Alex