Report Unlicensed Boats!

MartinClark

Featured Posts

also note condition 2.1: seems fairly unambiguous that everyone has to abide by the 14 day rule, not just continuous cruisers as has been suggested elsewhere.

Still, I'm not quite sure what is meant by how little a licence entitles you to, I'm under the impression that mine entitles me to cruise the entire BW network of England and Wales, subject to BW not having had to close if for maintenance or repair, and subject to me not stopping longer than 14 days. I can't see anything in these conditions that says otherwise. That's quite a lot that I am allowed to do...

edited to remove an unfortunate typo

Edited by magpie patrick

Is it half term already? This was the level of debate I used to have in the playground at primary school.

Well, my Dad is bigger than yours and I'm taking my ball back and not playing anymore.

Do simple sentences instantly invalidate a point?

Earlier on in the thread I was asked to simplify a post.

It is not a rule that you should interfere in someone's life by reporting them when you are not furnished with all the facts.

The introduction of a snitchsite (in addition to the dedicated snitchline), by British Waterways panders to the lowest form of busy bodiness.

British Waterways are responsible for the enforcement of the waterways laws, not an unpaid force of curtain twitchers.

Still, I'm not quite sure what is meant by how little a licence entitles you to, I'm under the impression that mine entitles me to cruise the entire BW network of England and Wales, subject to BW not having had to close if for maintenance or repair, and subject to me not stopping longer than 14 days. I can't see anything in these conditions that says otherwise. That's quite a lot that I am allowed to do...

So basically you are allowed to float your boat on any bit of BW water you can access.......

Stoppages

And of course

"The age of the Waterway will inevitably mean occasional unforeseen failure requiring closures.

Essential maintenance work may also require closures but, except in emergencies or for other unavoidable

reasons, we shall try to arrange our maintenance work to cause you the least disruption. This means that

most work requiring closures will be done between the beginning of November and the end of March.

There may be other occasions when, due to causes beyond our reasonable control, we have to close part or,

(exceptionally) all of the Waterway.

and

We will do our best to keep the Waterway open for cruising. The Licence fees are calculated on the assumption that you will be affected by closures from time to time and accordingly refunds of Licence fees will not be made for closures as

described in this condition.

So you can of course float your boat on the water but you may not be able to go anywhere for 5 months of the year.

So basically you are allowed to float your boat on any bit of BW water you can access.......

Stoppages

And of course

"The age of the Waterway will inevitably mean occasional unforeseen failure requiring closures.

Essential maintenance work may also require closures but, except in emergencies or for other unavoidable

reasons, we shall try to arrange our maintenance work to cause you the least disruption. This means that

most work requiring closures will be done between the beginning of November and the end of March.

There may be other occasions when, due to causes beyond our reasonable control, we have to close part or,

(exceptionally) all of the Waterway.

and

We will do our best to keep the Waterway open for cruising. The Licence fees are calculated on the assumption that you will be affected by closures from time to time and accordingly refunds of Licence fees will not be made for closures as

described in this condition.

So you can of course float your boat on the water but you may not be able to go anywhere for 5 months of the year.

so you get 7 months' worth of cruising a 2000 mile canal system, free moorings every night (around 210 nights), all for about £700 for a 55ft boat.

Bargain, or WHAT???

so you get 7 months' worth of cruising a 2000 mile canal system, free moorings every night (around 210 nights), all for about £700 for a 55ft boat.

Bargain, or WHAT???

I don't know, my licence to usde my car on the road is much less and I get to use it all year round and park up for more than 14 days.

I don't want to pay for a licence, I don't want to pay for a mooring. I want to join the group that is exempt. Where do I apply?

Apparently you need to be BW.

"BW does not issue licences to its own workboats. A separate fleet management system includes ensuring that all our boats comply with safety requirements."

According to the BW document,

"Please note that it is also a criminal offence to use or keep a boat on our waterways without a licence."

This might be part of the reason most people choose to pay :lol:

That is interesting.

All the cases I've been to in court, have involved boats put on the canal by persons other than the owners, and moved to where they were either by BW or by agents of BW, and were not being maintained by the owners for fear of committing this offence, as "keeping" requires you to put it there, and to do maintainance. Hence why I previously stated that it was not a criminal offence, I had no first hand experience where it was. I would apologise for any misleading remarks, but would not be entirely sure if this statement in the document is correct anyway!

I was involved in these cases as I was trying to help these people get their boats compliant, and coming across such pitfalls as mentioned above! :lol:

But still you won't answer the question...Is there a point at which you will say "Enough!" and protest at what you see as a state-endorsed injustice?

I believe that I have answered the questions posed.

As to the new question, which you have now asked....

Yes, there is a point at which I will protest against things that I believe to be wrong.

However, you haven't been very specific in your question, as you draw no distinction between lawful protest, and breaking the law in the process.

Indeed I am making it clear.

Although we all enjoy differing opinions, thankfully,

this licencing issue has nothing to do with criminal acts.

Failure to licence a boat is contrary to BW bye-laws, and can be dealt with by a criminal prosecution and fine in a magistrates court.

I believe that I have answered the questions posed.

As to the new question, which you have now asked....

Yes, there is a point at which I will protest against things that I believe to be wrong.

However, you haven't been very specific in your question, as you draw no distinction between lawful protest, and breaking the law in the process.

Well I am protesting, lawfully, against something I believe is wrong. Therefore, you may disagree with my opinion but respect my right to lawfully protest.

Shame, I had a few expletives about foxhunters ready to post.

Save them for the anglers.

So if the government tells you to kill your children in the name of population control you'll be complying then?

If you would care to quote an analogy that is even remotely possible, I might answer.

Creating ridiculous and impossible scenarios to prove a point isn't a game that I will play.

If you would care to quote an analogy that is even remotely possible, I might answer.

Creating ridiculous and impossible scenarios to prove a point isn't a game that I will play.

So, if you lived in Herod's time...... (tongue in cheek smiley)

To all the spys/snoopers/snitches out there...

Can any one of you honestly claim to never have broken a single law (however minor) in their entire lives?

If not, did you get away with it?

If the answer is no and yes respectively, then it would be a bit hypocritical to start snitching on others for the minor crime of an unlicenced boat wouldn't it?

To quote Terry Pratchett 'everybody is undoubtedly guilty of something'

I can claim never to have deliberately flouted the law.

another piece of BW misinformation.

Keeping a boat on BW waters without a licence is contrary to BW bye-laws.

Breaches of these bye-laws is a criminal offence (dealt with by a criminal court, and fines)

Well I am protesting, lawfully, against something I believe is wrong. Therefore, you may disagree with my opinion but respect my right to lawfully protest.

Deliberately entering information into a web page with the intent that the database behind it will be filled with bogus information.

Well, let us see....

s1 Computer Misuse Act

Deliberately entering information into a web page with the intent that the database behind it will be filled with bogus information.

Well, let us see....

s1 Computer Misuse Act

I have no intention (nor the technical know-how) to deliberately fill a database with bogus information. What little data I have provided the (presumed) database is certainly not enough to measurably disrupt its performance so your unqualified assumption that I am flouting the Computer Misuse Act is wrong.

Edited by carlt

Well, let us see....

s1 Computer Misuse Act

can you point me to where this is state in the Computer Misuse Act ? as I can't seem to locate anything regarding entering bogus information into a database via a web-site?

Really?

Never broken a speed limit? Never dropped a piece of litter? Practice archery every Sunday?

You truly are whiter than white and an example to us all!

I have never deliberately broken a speed limit. I may well have done so due to inattention, but if I do so, then I have no complaint about receiving the appropriate penalty.

No, I have never dropped litter. I have regularly picked up other peoples' litter though.

The laws requiring Archery practice were repealed in 1863. http://archery.mysaga.net/archlaws.html

I have never deliberately broken a speed limit. I may well have done so due to inattention, but if I do so, then I have no complaint about receiving the appropriate penalty.

No, I have never dropped litter. I have regularly picked up other peoples' litter though.

The laws requiring Archery practice were repealed in 1863. http://archery.mysaga.net/archlaws.html

So you do respect my right to peaceful protest? Do you, also concede that, until you can find legislation to the contrary, I am not, deliberately, breaking any law?

Edited by carlt

I have no intention (nor the technical know-how) to deliberately fill a database with bogus information. What little data I have provided the (presumed) database is certainly not enough to measurably disrupt its performance so your unqualified assumption that I am flouting the Computer Misuse Act is wrong.

You are deliberately using the page to cause a computer to store invalid data.

That is a breach.