If money were no object

Daftmare

Featured Posts

I think I'm building it

FMC Stafford currently at Narrowcraft 's factory being fitted out

Josher Hull

Kromhout 3LW

Modern Conversion

Currently on webcam being fitted out and yes everything's for sale.

No hotbulb powered washing machine then !

I also would put S M Hudson as my first choice and currently trying to scrape the money together, but money is an object for me so I may have to be a little more realistic.

But have you actually compared a Hudson or, say, a Hawkins boat with those of any of the builders mentioned in post 94?

There's no denying those big names are good, but there's a whole other league, who you don't see very often, who don't advertise, and with whom time as well as money would have to be no object, but whose work is little short of sublime.

But have you actually compared a Hudson or, say, a Hawkins boat with those of any of the builders mentioned in post 94?

There's no denying those big names are good, but there's a whole other league, who you don't see very often, who don't advertise, and with whom time as well as money would have to be no object, but whose work is little short of sublime.

I cant say I know all of those mentioned or that I have the patience to want to do business with them all either.

Certainly I like Brinklow and all those mentioned there but not so sure that I like the style of work from Keith Ball, but that is only my personal view of what I have seen. The quality of all of these I am sure is exceptional, but equally my personal taste is what we are talking about and not the world's best ditch crawler builder?

I have to say that I did not like what had been done to Dover on the interior as it did not seem very practical so this may have tipped the balance a bit.

So that is why I would come back to SM Hudson, hopefully I would love the end result and have the patience.

Yes you are right, but it made an interesting bit of TV I suppose, I am just sorry for the boat.

Did they ever manage to sell it as I saw it a Braunston recently?

Yes, I think they sold it just before Braunston last year. Wonder what they took for it in the end though.

The consolation is that the 'damage' is pretty superficial and reversible.

Shows what can happen though when money is no object!

Dave Harris - Yes

Brinklow Boats - Yes (Rex Wain did the opriginal fitout on my boat)

Ian Kemp - Not sure I have seen any of his boats so cannot make a personal judgement, but if Phil Speight says he is good, that is good enough for me.

Norton Canes - not sure. I don't like all that fussy stuff on the ends of the cants.

I don't think anyone would dispute the above.

However for a couple of names to discuss/nominate for inclusion how about.......?

(apologies if if missed a post)

Roger Fuller.

I've seen some very nice work by this guy but also heard about time and cost overshoots.

(Not uncommon elswhere either)

Graham Pearce at Stockton Dry Dock, formerly Warwickshire Fly Boat.

If money were no object...

Canals.....an original boat an butty fully restored for summer cruising in the uk

Salty........a new turkish Gulet for cruising the med

and then a square rigged Brig for cruising the Caribbean.

The brig would be based at my own island residence on the spanish main....It would also have a fully working gun deck in order to repel boarders

Your wish is my command - cluck

Your wish is my command - cluck

Not quite a Brig, but she does have at least a few square sails, so I suppose I shouldn't complain too much. :lol:

I do wonder why she was abandoned though - If I were buying her I'd want to make very sure that there wasn't an outstanding marine mortgage, or other lien over the vessel (unpaid bills, etc), not to mention that she's been abandoned for over a year, so she's likely to need a reasonable amount of remedial maintenance at the very least.

Not quite a Brig, but she does have at least a few square sails, so I suppose I shouldn't complain too much. :lol:

I do wonder why she was abandoned though - If I were buying her I'd want to make very sure that there wasn't an outstanding marine mortgage, or other lien over the vessel (unpaid bills, etc), not to mention that she's been abandoned for over a year, so she's likely to need a reasonable amount of remedial maintenance at the very least.

All that has been dealt with. Yes, she will need maintenance. Find me a ship like that that doesn't! There's a rigging survey being carried out at the moment.

That's a lot for a hull and a nicely rebuilt and painted cabin.

edited to add: But mustn't forget the new RN!

I never saw the series, but think I heard they had several attempts at the cabin steelwork ?

I don't know if that's true, but even the finished result never looked quite right to me. I can't put my finger on why, but the proportions seemed wrong, somehow.

It's still infinitely better than whats been done to many of them though, I'll admit.

If you can afford the £120K undisclosed sum, I guess you can even afford the £50 "wide beam" surcharge on the licence.

THATS what I wanted!! Would they accept a ONO as in ONO I havent any money??

It is a lovely ship. It has suffered from two years of neglect and, as you would know better then I, she needs a good attack with a varnish brush. Last rigging survey, 18 months or so ago, showed her to be sound apart from rot in one yard. She will probably end up back in charter and I too would love to experience sailing her. I don't claim to be an expert on tall ships, I'm not, but I know a beautiful boat when I see one. Irresistible.

I have to go along with others and say that if money was no object then I would have my dream boat built by Norton Canes Boatbuilders.

But if money was a problem.....then I'd still have a boat from NC.

Hang on! I've just remembered....NC start my new boat next year...Phew, thats a relief!

:lol:

East

I have to go along with others and say that if money was no object then I would have my dream boat built by Norton Canes Boatbuilders.

But if money was a problem.....then I'd still have a boat from NC.

Hang on! I've just remembered....NC start my new boat next year...Phew, thats a relief!

East

Its easy to go off people who brag you know.