What do you think of this welding and paint job?

Featured Posts

Guest TerryL
Not all of it is lazy & you should be more understanding of people with problems.

Justme

Well I appreciate that and it's why I don't normally say anything but not everyone has problems, my son is dyslexic but he can spell reasonably well. Many people were brought up in times when it was considered that spelling didn't matter which is unfortunate for them but it does matter. Anyway this is off topic, start a new thread if you want to continue this. :lol:

It's welding but not as we know it! ....
Hehe!

No, serously. My intial reaction was 'Not the best weld, but overall not a bad job, shame about the choice of screw'.

- After reading the posts, i then noticed the run in the paint, which is great and may be more noticable if you actaully there looking at it.

- I didnt notice the painting on back of the boat be asymetrical eather untill it was mentioned, not amazing, but i wouldnt be too fussed about it.

- The screws are a bit poor, espcially the one thats not even in all the way. But they could be changed fairly readly if you wanted to.

- Deformation of the roof. Certainly a risk when doing that sort of work. But without a more 'overall' shot of the area i cant comment really.

If it where my boat i would deffonatly ask them to change the screws for the right ones, or to csk the frame. And expect it to be done.

- I would then question them about the quality of the welding and suggest there best option would be to give me a sensable (£150?) sum of money for rectification at the time of the next repaint.

As for the paint. You didnt mention how much that was (expensive, average, cost affective) if it was an expensive job i might ask for a bit off that too. but if it was a fairly economical job, it doesnt look that bad to me.

I personaly hate to see work being undone just to be done slightly diffrently/better, its just a such a waste. I also find that people are far happier to part with a bit of cash to 'make the problem go away' than do a stack load of remedial work. Hence my suggest actions above.

- Ofcause, if you silly, there not going to give away all the profit in a hurry. And if there short of work, they will be more likly to want to change it rather than rectify it with money!

Daniel.

Are those screws? They look more like bolts for an allen key. Maybe they were spare from putting a bed together or something :lol: If they are screws they seem to have a small hole-thing - maybe he had to use a small philips screwdriver and couldnt drive them in far enough....

I'd possibly part with a grand for two hatches and paint job, but more? Not for that level of finish.

How many hours labour do you get for £350? Do you think think the finish and quality of work justify the time taken?

Are those screws? They look more like bolts for an allen key. Maybe they were spare from putting a bed together or something :lol: If they are screws they seem to have a small hole-thing - maybe he had to use a small philips screwdriver and couldnt drive them in far enough....

I'd possibly part with a grand for two hatches and paint job, but more? Not for that level of finish.

How many hours labour do you get for £350? Do you think think the finish and quality of work justify the time taken?

They're socket head countersunk machine screws, so far as I can see, & very possibly stainless.

Nothing wrong with them for the job, but they need a matching countersink and to be screwed fully home.

Tim

I wonder what we think the cost of the paint job and welding job was in total? Bearing in mind everything that Moggy Jo has had to say about it.

I wonder what Several thousands of pounds amount to.

Too Much in this case???

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know this boatyard and found them to be honest and fair, and they are building a great reputation for themselves.

The owner of this boat has not put any posts on this site. In fact he is upset about it being posted.

The owner is talking to the boatyard directly.

Moggjo is a neighbour, she is doing these posts without the owners permission. She knows that the boat has been taken back to the yard and that most of the work has already been rectified.

The last picture posted is weeks old. I know that Moggyjo knows that this has been repainted and put back on the mooring. So I do not know why she is implying it has not.

It is not good there has been problems, but i think that it is good the way that this yard is dealing with them.

I think that it is unfair in the way this has been posted without giving the yard time to sort out any problems.

Hello boat, and welcome to the forum.

It's such an inevitable question, so I might as well be the one to ask it.

Do you have any connection with, or interest in, the boatyard that did this work, please ?

I see you have chosen to say nothing at all about yourself in your profile.

Alan

They are local to me. I am a customer they have done jobs for me.

Fair enough!

You must forgive my suspicious nature, but there have been recent examples on the forum of "the trade" pretending not to be "the trade".

I would hate to think that a voice popping up to defend the boatyard was actually, erm, the boatyard.

Perhaps Moggyjo will respond ?

Alan

• 4 weeks later...
I know this boatyard and found them to be honest and fair, and they are building a great reputation for themselves.

The owner of this boat has not put any posts on this site. In fact he is upset about it being posted.

The owner is talking to the boatyard directly.

Moggjo is a neighbour, she is doing these posts without the owners permission. She knows that the boat has been taken back to the yard and that most of the work has already been rectified.

The last picture posted is weeks old. I know that Moggyjo knows that this has been repainted and put back on the mooring. So I do not know why she is implying it has not.

It is not good there has been problems, but i think that it is good the way that this yard is dealing with them.

I think that it is unfair in the way this has been posted without giving the yard time to sort out any problems.

So, moggyjo.................is this true??

The work was apparently done "In Banbury". Though I am not often in Banbury, I can't think of any boatyards there apart from Tooley's. Surely they, who were set up to replicate the craftsmanship of a bygone era, were not responsible for this very moderate and seriously overpriced work?