Audio Sound via I Pods

Trish&Doug

Featured Posts

I've used an iPod FM transmitter (clicky) and that's pretty good as long as you remember to place it close to the radio antenna, and a tape kit (clicky)

If I had a radio that had an Aux-In I'd just get a standard iPod dock (clicky)

The radio is a rather old JVC one and even though I could do with replacing it as the volume control is rather fussy there's nothing wrong with the quality (when I get the volume control to behave itself!)

For when I'm going along I use a Labtech portable speaker kit. The iPod can dock it it, but I find it easier to use the iPod connected via the Aux cable. When it's docked it needs two hands to opperate - one to hold the thing in the dock and one to twirl the wheel.

My on-board audio comes from a Sony car radio/cassette player, which doesn'y have an Aux input so I use one of the tape thingies for my iPod. I don't have a docking unit for it. It works very well except that the radio chooses to eject it about once an hour, thinking the tape has come to an end!

Edited to add; When I come to a tunnel I always steal the iPod back and listen to it on the headphones. Choosing the right track (like Bat out of Hell for example) makes the tunnel much shorter. I've got a pair of Griffin Earjams for then, they cut down the sound of the engine and make the iPod sound better too. Of course the radio doesn't work in the tunnel, so as I've swiped the iPod SWMBO has to put a CD in instead!

Edited by Keeping Up

Hi is any one using I pod's and associated kit on board narrowboats, any suggestions before we rush out and buy one, a docking kit and radio attachement. Thanks doug n trish

Hi Doug & Trish

We are not quite on board yet, but we asked a similar question recently. We have now put our entire CD collection (car boot sale for the CD's!) on an ipod but instead of getting a docking station, we have ordered an Alpine iDA X100 head unit (fancy name for car stereo) - these have been designed specifically for ipods and have a small screen that shows a similar interface to the ipod itself including the album artwork when playing. We have not got it yet (only ordered today), but we have been told that these are the best head units for the ipod. We then plan to wire this up to a couple of speakers - not decided what sort yet until we get onboard and see what will look and sound best.

We have no association with Alpine or Car Audio Direct who we brought it from (who seemed to have the best price and deliver to Ireland :lol: ) - just letting you know what we are doing based on advice and info we picked up. Have a look at their web sites and check it out for yourself. Maybe you have found other options we had not considered?

Happy hunting! :lol:

Rach & Chris

For those who use their iPods with different PC's / laptops this may be worth a look

Music Rescue

I splashed out on a Bose docking station that also has an input socket. I went mad and went for the expensive option that has a 20 hour battery pack. Perfect for cruising - sits in the back cabin and the remote is small enough to live in a pocket for flicking through to find the right tracks depending on location/weather/mood etc.

It was a brilliant investment and I don't regret a penny of it!

Sarah

I splashed out on a Bose docking station that also has an input socket. I went mad and went for the expensive option that has a 20 hour battery pack. Perfect for cruising - sits in the back cabin and the remote is small enough to live in a pocket for flicking through to find the right tracks depending on location/weather/mood etc.

It was a brilliant investment and I don't regret a penny of it!

Sarah

must agree . the bose is excellent

I have a blaupunkt dab car stereo, a woodstock 54.

It is all singing all dancing, it has dab radio fm radio, plays mp3 cd's. Has an sd card so you can play mp3's off that. You can also record the radio on to the sd card, clever hey.

It also has two aux inputs, I use on for the Ipod and one for the telly so I get stereo through the roof when watching movies!

It was about £150 on ebay about three years ago, no probs with it so far it really is great and only draws about one amp.

I use a standard dipole aerial from maplin outside the boat for a decent dab signal.

I really love it, a bit of kit that really works, highly recommend it.

try bluespot.co.uk if you want one, I think they have probably upgraded the model by now.

Have to agree - I pod (or similar) is definately the way to go -

we have put most of our cd's and stuff on two of them - I bought a cheap twin speaker bose lookalike at amsterdam airport for 22 euro and it works well and charges the Ipod too (just needed aplug coverter) will probably upgrade to a bose when i can afford...

we both travel for work so can take our music with us.. my car has an Ipod socket and on the home stereos have put ipod connector cables onto the aux input - job done - we have our music where and when required,,, in something the size of a phone (backed up) and saves hundreds of cds that were often getting sctrached/trashed in the cars... etc

also just stand on the back with the head phones and its a wonderful world out there cruising along... in your own space...same on a plane..