Buying a second hand boat from a private vendor

stellar

Featured Posts

I have made an offer that has been accepted. The owner has said that she will give me the keys as soon as my cheque clears. This seems very informal, can anyone tell me about any necessary documentation and how I go about getting the license transferred to me? Do I have to register ownership anywhere?

I have made an offer that has been accepted. The owner has said that she will give me the keys as soon as my cheque clears. This seems very informal, can anyone tell me about any necessary documentation and how I go about getting the license transferred to me? Do I have to register ownership anywhere?

Hi There

You are right it does seem a little casual considering how much money is involved but it is a guide to the sort of people you will meet on the water.

I am sure it will be OK. :lol:

You need to go to the Waterscape site and down load the change of ownership form and return it to BW.

http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/boating/licensing

Hope this helps

Alex

You haven't mentioned either age or cost of the boat, but as you say "I have made an offer that has been accepted" I'm assuming you have purchased the boat without a survey ?

If that's the case, there is no reason why the transaction can't be as you describe.

Again, I don't know the circumstances, and particularly if the vendor was already known to you or not, but probably the strongest warnings given in a case like this are that the boat might not be theirs to sell, (or not fully theirs to sell).

You should attempt to get written evidence of their purchase of the boat, to establish that they are the legal owners, and that it is not security against any kind of loan.

Boats are not "registered" as such, but depending upon the waterway it is on, you need to notify the navigation authority, (generally British Waterways or the Environment Agency), that you now own the boat. Although, if they are sensible, the current owner will do that, so that they are not liable for anything you do. Licences are transferable to a new owner, but if it has expired you will need to buy a new one.

Are you taking over a mooring ? You will likely need to complete a mooring agreement.

Do you have insurance cover already in place for when the cheque clears ? Don't leave it until later, just in case anything happens.

Make sure the record of sale includes everything you have agreed as part of the purchase, such as cruising equipment, fuel, gas cylinders, furnishings, bedding etc. You don't want to take possession and find items are not on board that you are expecting to be part of the sale.

Alan

Hi all,

I'm new to all this so this might sound a silly question.

So when buying a boat is it down to the seller or buyer, or both to inform BW ?

Well if you inform them your selling they wont send another bill to you and they will send a form to the new owner, if you give them their details.

I think that makes sense?

Edited by Troll

Hi all,

Hi Norm,

The form that Steelaway refers to in the post above, (which is downloadable), says "I have sold this boat to".....

So the onus is on the seller. They can either chose to transfer the rest of the current licence to the new owner, or not to, and to get a refund.

So with licences at anything up to £800 plus per year, you need to have a clear understanding with the seller about whether you are going to be able to keep the unused part.

Obviously if a licence is not transferred, you must apply for a new one. You will need to be able to produce details of insurance and BSS [boat Safety Scheme] certificate.

BW moorings are not generally transferable, although private ones very often are.

Alan,

[so there's one I forgot from my original list when completing the purchase. Make sure you see the BSS certificate is handed to you - it should be grey, with a silver hologram with a propellor embossed on it. Any doubts, check the details and validity of the examiner with BSS office]

Thanks everyone for the superb advice which is very helpful. Yes, I have decided not to have a survey as the boat is only 2 years old. I have seen the bill of sale of the boat to the current owner so have no reason to doubt that she is the owner and I feel quite confident that she is a trust worthy person. Any advice out there about choosing an insurance company?

regards

Sylvia

Any advice out there about choosing an insurance company?

regards

Sylvia

Hi Sylvia

If you search this forum for "insurance" I'm sure there are loads of posts with people's recommendations and experiences.

I think most tend to offer similar cover, so to some extent it is a case of ringing around and comparing quotes.

Things to be aware of...

1) Different excesses

2) Some offer some degree of no claims discount, as the years pass, (but nothing like of car proportions, probably maxing out at - 20% or so).

3) You may find cover for personal possessions on board surprisingly low, so, unless covered by a house policy, may want to pay for more cover.

4) Some may limit what you can go on that is tidal, or for how long.

However, whatever you are quoted, is unlikely to be a major component of your boating costs for a year, so it's more important to get cover you are happy with, than to try and squeeze every last penny.

We are with Saga, which is very competitive, but you have to be "of a certain age" to qualify.

Alan

Thanks everyone for the superb advice which is very helpful. Yes, I have decided not to have a survey as the boat is only 2 years old. I have seen the bill of sale of the boat to the current owner so have no reason to doubt that she is the owner and I feel quite confident that she is a trust worthy person. Any advice out there about choosing an insurance company?

regards

Sylvia

It might be false economy not have a survey done for your peace of mind, and if the surveyor is worth his salt he might find enough points to make his fee worthwhile - you may be able to reduce your purchase price by the amount needed to rectify any items for example, and indeed your insurance company and/or finance company might insist on one. A 2 year old boat may be in pristine condition but may on the other hand have a number of defects requiring attention which may not be obvious at first glance.

Howard

Hi

If the boat is only two years old then it must comply with and have an RCD (Recreational Craft Directive) certificate, if it was built by a boatbuilder then it will/should have this, if a self fitout it may but not necessarily, have one.

It is illegal to sell a boat, less than five years old from completion, without an RCD certificate.

Always good to mention the word "Survey" because if the boats at all dodgy they get upset. Also be careful when buying a boat on an exisiting mooring, most of the time on BW moorings the seller has no right to sell the mooring with the boat and you may find yerself without a mooring when BW come along and wave their finger at you.

Hi all,

Both, but the old registered keeper is liable until the new keeper has been registered .....

Best do both to make sure.

D