ashby canal

mikevye

Featured Posts

Our mooring terms require us to be out and about for a few months a year which is no problem and we're thinking of heading towards Leicester any recommendations particularly the Ashby Canal or alternatives?

The Ashby is very nice, if a little shallow in places. Can recommend "The Lime Kilns" at Hinkley; mooring, good beer, great food, and free 'net access (available from the mooring if you don't mind sitting outside). Stoke Golding is a nice village, and all three pubs are in the 'Ok, but nothing to write home about' category.

The Ashby is very nice, if a little shallow in places. Can recommend "The Lime Kilns" at Hinkley; mooring, good beer, great food, and free 'net access (available from the mooring if you don't mind sitting outside). Stoke Golding is a nice village, and all three pubs are in the 'Ok, but nothing to write home about' category.

Good start chris, as we're very used to shallow water where we live we know the problems so forwarned is brilliant.

Our mooring terms require us to be out and about for a few months a year which is no problem and we're thinking of heading towards Leicester any recommendations particularly the Ashby Canal or alternatives?

At the end of the Ashby it is interesting to walk the route of the proposed route into Measham. Measham itself is nothing to write home about but it does have a Tesco Express!

Tim

At the end of the Ashby it is interesting to walk the route of the proposed route into Measham. Measham itself is nothing to write home about but it does have a Tesco Express!

Tim

I've told my club card Tim and its trembling at the thought of getting points somewhere new!

As well as Stoke Golding (and the White Swan is very good - homely, friendly and with a varied menu), there are excellent moorings at the Battlefield site, at Shakerstone as well as just before asnd after the tunnel at the end.

Market Bosworth is a bit of a walk (15 mins) but worth it for a range of small shops - butcher, greengrocer etc as well as a small Co-op - but nowhere for your clubcard I'm afraid

It is a great little canal - particularly once past Hinkley. Enjoy.

The only thing I can recall about the Ashby is Bosworth Field..

I should not have felt disappointed really, 'It's a field', what else should I have expected.

You shouldve had Richard Holmes from War Walks with you. That wouldve livend it up a bit.

I seem to remember they do have a couple of Flags at either end of the field.

The only thing I can recall about the Ashby is Bosworth Field..

I should not have felt disappointed really, 'It's a field', what else should I have expected.

I was up there just after Easter, when the snow hit again, which was why I "couldn't be bothered" to go that far up ... it's a field! (Though, apparently, the info-centre is meant to be pretty good and so are the tours. Must try and get there again when the weather is more condusive to walking round fields!)

I was up there just after Easter, when the snow hit again, which was why I "couldn't be bothered" to go that far up ... it's a field! (Though, apparently, the info-centre is meant to be pretty good and so are the tours. Must try and get there again when the weather is more condusive to walking round fields!)

Still think the place is a bit boring, the local historical society down there can't be up to much, couldn't they at least litter a few plastic corpses around the place just to add a bit of atmosphere.

Still think the place is a bit boring, the local historical society down there can't be up to much, couldn't they at least litter a few plastic corpses around the place just to add a bit of atmosphere.

I really enjoyed visiting the site. The visitor centre had closed when we arrived and it was more meaningful to me standing in a cornfield and looking at the flagpoles representing the opposing forces then watching the sunset.

The information on the signboards allowed us to explore the area in our own time and in the order we wanted.

The same was true of Normandy earlier this year - unobtrusive information.

unobtrusive information.

I agree.

Armed with the knowledge of the site provided by the information boards you simply need to stop and look. If you use some imagination to try and recreate in your mind what conditions would have been like for the men involved at the time it starts to come to life.

The beauty of the area is a suitable memorial for the people who lost their lives in the battle. It is far better unspoiled by any Disney style effects.

I agree.

Armed with the knowledge of the site provided by the information boards you simply need to stop and look. If you use some imagination to try and recreate in your mind what conditions would have been like for the men involved at the time it starts to come to life.

The beauty of the area is a suitable memorial for the people who lost their lives in the battle. It is far better unspoiled by any Disney style effects.

Hear, hear.

I very much doubt that John could ever be accused of wanting Disney Style effects, Just a few abandoned arrows stuck in the ground would probably surfice or the bloodied remains of Richard of York lying in a heap, After all, We lancastrians love a good tale of beaten Yorkists

Many thanks for your responses. After many months of not contributing its nice to see nothings changed upon my return. Genuine and helpful responses in the main spoilt by a flippant borderline off topic remark then followed on by others and the genuine topic goes pear shaped! ! would wager that 90% of the forum find it as exasperating as I do!

You have to do the Ashby even if it only once and only to get to the end. Thge last few miles are the best arlound, and you are lost in the woodlands. The fact that the canal is norrow adds to that atmosphere once you are passed the industrial bit through Hinckley.

The Limekilns is great and there is also a water point just before the bridge. The ashytrip people near sutten cheney are excellent if you want water and a stop off for a spot of lunch as well.

The battle field is good, and they have improved the visotor centre and there is a converted barn there now with a very nice restaurent where you can grab a bite to eat. Well worth it after trekking round the fields. They put on some great re-enactments a couple of times a year as well (August time, usually Sat or Sun) which are well worth a visit if you can time it).

But the trip to the end is the best bit. Nothing like it .