River Thames

saltysplash

Featured Posts

Any one give any info on the state of the river between Teddington and Oxford?

The EA site is still showing Red boards over much of the river weras the very useful Teddington lock website updated yesterday is showing their stretch all clear.

We've still got till saturday before we set off but like to keep upto date with it as it will depend on wether we turn left or right at Cowley Peachy

We were stuck at Benson for 4 nights but got away on Sunday morning and had a clear run to Oxford (yellow boards only).

We are currently in Oxford and it has been raining here all night so there is a very real danger that the river will go back to red. The best source of info is the lock keepers if you can get their telephone numbers. Best of luck.......

I would give the flood line a call -

For current conditions and closures on the River Thames, call Floodline on 0845 988 1188 and when prompted, press 1 followed by the quickdial number:-

- 011131 for river conditions and strong stream conditions

- 011132 for river works and lock closures

- 011133 for river events

there was a lot of rain yesterday, and the river has risen a bit over night, and I'd imagine it will rise some more from the run off.

Yellow at Temple lock. A lot of rain here overnight. I think it will go to red boards again soon because the mental agency want to run the water off quickly rather than allow the level to rise. This interferes with navigation but prevents flooding to houses which is more important than a few boats unable to progress, in theory. I think the agency is scared [word removed]less of bad TV pictures.

Yellow at Temple lock. A lot of rain here overnight. I think it will go to red boards again soon because the mental agency want to run the water off quickly rather than allow the level to rise. This interferes with navigation but prevents flooding to houses which is more important than a few boats unable to progress, in theory. I think the agency is scared [word removed]less of bad TV pictures.

Would be interested in updates to this as we are planning to take Fulbourne from Reading To Oxford this Saturday.

Tim

Would be interested in updates to this as we are planning to take Fulbourne from Reading To Oxford this Saturday.

Tim

I think you may be dissapointed, it depends on what rain is falling in the Thames headwaters catchment area, IME it takes three days for this floodwater to effect the middle reaches. It hasn't stopped raining in the Kennet Valley all morning, if the cotswolds/thames valley is getting the same, the Thames will swell.

I was aiming to get on the Thames by next Monday, but i think I may be dissapointed. Keep an eye on the EA sites though, as well as the recorded messages there is a number you can ring and have a chat about river conditions.

Paul

oodles of gloriously delicious rain here but the river in Abingdon is not rising rapidly... it is on the other hand flowing very rapidly. So rapidly I thought a boat that went past was on jet propolsion.....

We made it back to Cowley. Left Chertsey Meads Sunday 10am Arrived Packet Boat Marina Water Point MIDNIGHT!

Did you stop for a nice long lunch then ???

Ducks.....COAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

London & South East England:

Oxfordshire

W Berkshire

Heavy bursts of rain will continue during the first part of the afternoon, bringing a further 15 to 25 mm. The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the relevant transport authority for further advice on any travel disruption and to the Environment Agency Floodline for further advice on any flooding.

Issued at: 1155 Tue 3 Jun

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/se/...t_warnings.html

We made it back to Cowley. Left Chertsey Meads Sunday 10am Arrived Packet Boat Marina Water Point MIDNIGHT!

does that mean someone's on your mooring then.......

...............oops sorry wrong thread :lol:

simon.

River has risen by 6 or 7 inches in the last couple of hours at Abingdon. Time to get the wellies out again!

I agree with Magnetman - the lock keepers are fabulous when it comes to knowing the river conditions and expectations

Our daughter, son-in-law and Granddaughter are/were between Town Lock and Thames Lock on the River Wey. They wanted to get out on to the Thames today, however, given the amount of rain failing over night/this morning I advised them to speak to the Lock Keeper at Thames Lock. His advise was not to attempt crossing the weir below Shepperton Lock (those that have done it when the river his running will understand why) and to go back beyond Town Lock at Weybridge and moor in the cut to avoid the floods. I understand that yellow boards were up but the Lock Keeper anticipated that this would soon be changing to red boards given the amount of rain that we had last night/this morning.

Mike and Lorraine

For information on river conditions i'd be inclined to phone a lock keeper and ask them because they know whats actually happening on the river.

not if they have there way and sell the lockkeepers houses off :lol:

I am sat on the Meadow mooring at Abingdon (North of the bridge) Last wednesday we watched the water rise 8/10 inches in a few hours. It dropped over the next few days. This afternoon, Tuesday, still in the same place (lockie said stay put) the water is over the hard edge by about 14 inches. access is by plank only. The river is set to rise and I am looking for a couple of scafffold poles to stop me getting beached on the field.

Culham weir is fully drawn (Edit) Abingdon is on red boards. The River OCK is about to flood. I think coming this way would be foolhardy there is an awful lot of water coming your way over the next few days Salty.

Edited by Maffi

The ybw thames forum is handy for info as well. I believe it was red down to Bray last night and Abingdon being a bit damp makes it look like a few days before we see yellow again. Its up about 8-10 inches at Cookham/Bourne End. Flowing quite well too, for a wide bit. How to measure the flow? I was thinking cast a GPS out on a fishing line and let it drift for a while then take a maximum speed.

lower it gently from a bridge - and hope a boat does not swoop and carry it off!

btw - doing Teddington to Brentford this afternoon, stream and tide together, should be quick!

Edited by WJM