CanalplanAC - Site off air

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Unless there's something I don't know, the excellent CanalplanAC site seems to be down.

I couldn't access it yesterday (evening) either.

Is it me, or has it moved ?

Alan

Unless there's something I don't know, the excellent CanalplanAC site seems to be down.

Alan

I may be wrong but I believe Nick runs his own server, either from home or from a friends so good chance this should be back up again as soon as they know about it.

Regards

Alan

I've just read elsewhere that he's moving the site to another server for whatever reason.

I hope it's back online soon :lol:

It is certainly off-line at the moment. Hopefully this very useful facility will be restored shortly.

Alan

From another newsgroup:

Chris Morgan View profile

More options Jun 1, 7:00 pm

Nick Atty's Canal Route planner (Canalplan AC) will be unavailable

for a bit because I have to move the server.

Just completing final precautionary backups in case the current

server never comes back to life (it has been mostly up and running

for over five years and is just a homebuilt PC in my basement) -

RAID, RAS, dual-redundancy? I've heard of 'em...

Once backups are done (v.soon now) it will go down and will

physically move today.

The new location, however, does not currently have internet service.

We're impatiently waiting for that any day now (it's a three-vendor

proces no less).

Hope the users of Nick's amazing service can pardon us whilst we get

over this inconvenience.

Cheers

Chris

Tim

Yeah deffonatly.

- Glad we rattled off a load of estimated trip times for this year on friday! Would have hated to have calc'ed them by hand.

Its such an excellent and powerfull service. Anderton to autherley, autherley to shackerstone, shackerstone to mirfield, and home.

- But what if we didnt to shackerstone, what about a detour via, how much further to wakefield, which of the routes from autherley to the ashby? Job done.

Daniel

The RCR Planner disappeared a while back - it was very good too. It is amazing how you miss them when they are gone!

I have the Thames Ring and the London Ring downloaded from Canal Plan AC if anyone needs them in the interim.

We will likely need a new URL to find the new server - do let us know what it is.

thanks

We will likely need a new URL to find the new server - do let us know what it is.

I'm guessing that the

http://www.canalplanac.org.uk

address may well still work, (once service is resumed!), but redirect you to somewhere different from where it used to.

I'm also guessing that the "mihalis.net" one may not, although I could be wrong.

Edited by alan_fincher

There's no need to change the domain name, or URL when you change servers. I beleive Jon has changed CWF's server at least once and it's still on the same domain. Once the new/fixed server is back up and online it's just a case of changing where the domain name points to. Once the changes have propogated over t'internet, usually 24-48hrs it'll be back up online again.

Well you could all try clicking HERE :lol:

Now I'm confused!

That doesn't seem to be the usual "live" version.

Seems to be some kind of "beta" development version.

Completely different look and feel to the one I'm used to, and doesn't on the face of it seem to allow the usual customisations, (how long per mile, how long per lock, how many hours a day to travel, etc, etc).

I'm kind of assuming the "live" version will reappear....

Now I'm confused!

That doesn't seem to be the usual "live" version.

Seems to be some kind of "beta" development version.

Completely different look and feel to the one I'm used to, and doesn't on the face of it seem to allow the usual customisations, (how long per mile, how long per lock, how many hours a day to travel, etc, etc).

I'm kind of assuming the "live" version will reappear....

Correct, that is the "test" or "beta" version of the site with the future look + feel for Canal Plan AC.

If Chris hasn't got his internet connectivity back soon I'm going to work with nick about getting a backup copy running on my server. We used to have this set up in the past but when I rebuilt earlier this year I didn't rebuild the backup site as it was rather out of date.

It contains incorrect and misleading information.

:tongue_in_cheek_smiley:

So of couse does CanalPlanAC, although I seldom find it gets it wrong by much more than a couple of locks for trips I want to do.

(I am aware that if yoy say "starting from Lock nnn" there is an issue about whether it counts that one or not, but I sometimes get discrepancies even when start and end point are not an actual lock).

Not knocking CanalPlanAC, by the way - it's a fabulous resource, and much missed at the moment.

It also seems to contain the CanalPlan back end... which of course its linking to so it doesnt work but it took about 3 minutes to render the back-end options page

Edited by StephenA

So of couse does CanalPlanAC,

I saw on that site:

"Dukinfield

Max boat length of 56 feet on the Huddersfield canals"

That is incorrect in many ways. The maximum boat length on the Huddersfield Narrow Canal is 70 ft. The maximum length of a wide beam boat on the Huddersfield Broad Canal is 57' 6" although narrowboats of up to 60 ft can navigate it with care.

I also see on that site:

"Getting through Manchester has its own set of hazards. Locals being one of them.

(especially if approaching via Dukinfield aka Ashton Canal)"

That is misleading and insulting. There are regular threads here and elsewhere about the Ashton Canal and it is no worse than many other urban canals. The overwhelming majority of the "locals" are friendly, helpful and certainly not a hazard to boaters. Who wrote that stuff?

After reading those things, I didn't bother looking any further at the site.

Does CanalPlanAC have incorrect and misleading information of that nature?