Thetford Cassette Toilet "Tank Full" Light Not Working.

Featured Posts

Our Thetford CS-200 loo seems to have stopped displaying a red light when the cassette is near full.

No disasters yet, but I'd like to avoid one. :lol:

The manual does not say how it works, but I suspect some kind of magnet on a float inside the removable cassette, which activates a reed switch inside the toilet base.

There is power to the loo, as the electric flush works fine.

Best guess is the magnetically (?) operated switch has failed, or a bulb has. (I don't think it's a problem with the cassette, as we have two, and neither seems to produce a "full" warning.)

Has anyone experienced this, and how was it fixed, please.

(Suggestions that we need a dipstick for the loo, as we currently have for diesel and water tanks have so far been ignored! :lol:)

Our Thetford CS-200 loo seems to have stopped displaying a red light when the cassette is near full.

No disasters yet, but I'd like to avoid one. :lol:

The manual does not say how it works, but I suspect some kind of magnet on a float inside the removable cassette, which activates a reed switch inside the toilet base.

There is power to the loo, as the electric flush works fine.

Best guess is the magnetically (?) operated switch has failed, or a bulb has. (I don't think it's a problem with the cassette, as we have two, and neither seems to produce a "full" warning.)

Has anyone experienced this, and how was it fixed, please.

(Suggestions that we need a dipstick for the loo, as we currently have for diesel and water tanks have so far been ignored! :lol:)

Hi Ours has done the same this weekend and i can not see how it works

David

Ah, good - That helps.

So it's definitely a magnet on a float operating a reed switch via the side of the tank then.

Strange they seem to cover failure of the LED, or the float inside the tank, but not the reed switch, as far as I can see. I'd have thought the switch as likely as anything.....

Not sure I fancy investigating the float(s), (hand through hole(s).... :lol: )

I think if it's the LED replacement, people might think I have finally cracked, (hair drier in the back of the loo :lol: )

Ah, good - That helps.

So it's definitely a magnet on a float operating a reed switch via the side of the tank then.

Strange they seem to cover failure of the LED, or the float inside the tank, but not the reed switch, as far as I can see. I'd have thought the switch as likely as anything.....

Not sure I fancy investigating the float(s), (hand through hole(s).... :lol: )

I think if it's the LED replacement, people might think I have finally cracked, (hair drier in the back of the loo :lol: )

As both are not working, more likely to be on the toilet! How about trying a magnet near the switch or shorting it out? If the LED has gone (they normally have a long life), I assume its because of the voltage variation on a boat (in a caravan not likely to be using the loo when the engine is running!).

If the LED has gone (they normally have a long life), I assume its because of the voltage variation on a boat (in a caravan not likely to be using the loo when the engine is running!).

Good point!

We have recently replaced the domestic battery bank, and added a higher rated alternator, so it's possible voltages when the engine is running are higher than we were achieving previously.

I tried waving a magnet near it, with no success. (But was using a Sea Searcher, so didn't want to put it too close, for fear of ripping switch internals to pieces).

Trouble is everything appears to be sheathed in heat shrink type insulation, so doesn't appear easy to get a meter connected across either switch or LED.

I was hoping not to have to uninstall it, (it is sealed to the flooring, and there is no surplus length on the "plumbing"), but guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet.

Alan

The float in side the cassette that activates the switch can be thrown 'over centre' by the action of vigorous shaking when there is a *ahem* reluctant deposit to dislodge during emptying.

The trick is, once the cassette is clean, open the slider and grope around inside to manipulate it gently back.....

There seems to be a stop of some sort, as the float seems to click over something on its journey back to the correct position.

The float in side the cassette that activates the switch can be thrown 'over centre' by the action of vigorous shaking when there is a *ahem* reluctant deposit to dislodge during emptying.

The trick is, once the cassette is clean, open the slider and grope around inside to manipulate it gently back.....

There seems to be a stop of some sort, as the float seems to click over something on its journey back to the correct position.

This is not the answer I was hoping for!

But, yes, errm, there probably has been some fairly vigourous shaking of both cassettes......

Ho hum! Rubber glove time!.........

Seriousy though - thanks for what is probably the correct answer.......

This is not the answer I was hoping for!

But, yes, errm, there probably has been some fairly vigourous shaking of both cassettes......

Ho hum! Rubber glove time!.........

Seriousy though - thanks for what is probably the correct answer.......

Defineteley a hand in job. It is the correct answer.

Happens on both my cassettes.

Best way is to do as Denis said.

Refit the cassette and put your hand inside the trap when fitted.

You can then reach the float and by lifting check it operates.

Be careful of the bogey man though when putting your hand in !!!

Pinkatpole

Be careful of the bogey man though when putting your hand in !!!

Pinkatpole

I don't know It looks a very small hole, and my hands are quite large.

I'm currently still trying to convince my OH that her slender hands and supple wrists are much more suited to the task. :lol:

Thank god for bucket and chuckit ! :lol:

Oh I don't know.

As a student job I once worked on the local cesspit emptying lorries.

A serious misoperation one day resulted in the discharge hose rising from a man-hole cover, and giving me a serious soaking.

The thought of battling with a used, but emptied and flushed Thetford cassette sounds quite mild by comparison!

Edited by alan_fincher

We have a similar problem! When we bought the boat, and being novices, we set off for the first journey withl friends on board,confident that we would know when the loo needed changing as the light would come on! Not the case, and ended up a bit of a mess to clean up when one of our friends advised the loo looks rather full!!

It never worked but we became vigilant and no more mishaps! Then one day we noticed the light on when the loo empty! Now ours seems to work in reverse, so when the light goes out it's time to change cassette!

Think we will leave well alone at the moment don't fancy investigating further!!

We have a similar problem! When we bought the boat, and being novices, we set off for the first journey withl friends on board,confident that we would know when the loo needed changing as the light would come on! Not the case, and ended up a bit of a mess to clean up when one of our friends advised the loo looks rather full!!

It never worked but we became vigilant and no more mishaps! Then one day we noticed the light on when the loo empty! Now ours seems to work in reverse, so when the light goes out it's time to change cassette!

Think we will leave well alone at the moment don't fancy investigating further!!

Youve shook it to much. The sensor has now decided it ldoes not like looking at whats below ans so has decided to spend life lying upside down.

It can be rectified with an elongated probing into the tank and a bit of careful manouevering backwards.

As you can see Ive spent a lot of the time with my arm up Mr Thetford.

Have fun !!!!

I too have had this problem, if you go to the web link earlier in this topic there are a number of downloadable instruction sheets on how to maintain the cassette, including how to remove the blade and seal thus making the hole bigger. Well worth downloading and reading.

In my case it was a case of the magnet having come off the arm and lying in the bottom, a spot of super glue and problem solved!!

Good luck, by the time you've washed it out its not too bad but you won.t be able to do it in situ if you want to remove the seal and blade.

Martin

• 5 years later...

Having not investigated the inside of one before, I was a shade over enthusiastic when attempting to locate the float arm in a C200 cassette with the result that the float arm has parted company with the bracket that holds it.

I have tried to re-locate the float arm in the bracket but as I'm working blind I haven't managed to do so.

The illustrations in the Thetford manual aren't too clear so I'm not too certain whether the float arm and the holding bracket can be replaced or not. The way I interpret the manual the whole assembly (or the mounting bracket minus float arm) can be unclipped with a screwdriver, removed from the cassette and, I presume, have the arm refitted and then slid back into place.

Has anyone replaced the entire assembly and is my understanding correct?

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone with a thetford c200 cassette, where the warning light HAS continued to work over an amount of time. All 3 of our cassettes have stopped causing the light to work, but to be honest, we just look to judge if it's time to change it or not. You can fiddle and ...erm....mess with it, get it going, then it stops again a while later, so not reliable enough to my thinking, to be assured of.

Our best technique if it does over fill, which happened to us once (first time the light failed) is to leave the cassette in place, pull the spout round with a washing up basin under it (not being used for washing up!!!) and ease the cap gently loose, but not right off. The pressure from the 'extra' in the loo itself will push enough fluid out to then empty the loo so the cassette can be safely removed, and emptied as normal. The 'overflow' fluid can then be tipped down the toilet into the next empty cassette.

We have 2 casettes. Both level indicators dont work. It's easy to see when they are getting full...it only takes a few seconds to look down the hole. For that reason, I wouldnt even spend 5mins trying to fix the indicator issue:)

The boat concerned is a charity boat that provides play sessions when moored up. The play workers are not boaters and are not used to cassette toilets let alone how they work!

The warning light has always worked prior to the most recent incident and I feel morally obliged to repair damage that I caused.

All I'm hoping is that someone can tell me whether the whole assembly can be changed and, if so, confirm how it is done.

Our best technique if it does over fill, which happened to us once (first time the light failed) is to leave the cassette in place, pull the spout round with a washing up basin under it (not being used for washing up!!!) and ease the cap gently loose, but not right off. The pressure from the 'extra' in the loo itself will push enough fluid out to then empty the loo so the cassette can be safely removed, and emptied as normal. The 'overflow' fluid can then be tipped down the toilet into the next empty cassette.

Now this is useful! I have had to use a portable bilge pump once; doing this with a hangover is not recommended!

And yes, the lights always fail.

Somewhere on the forum is, I think, a photo of the operation. Good luck!

Be aware that the actual light can fail. If the light doesn't work with any of the cassettes, then the problem may be the actual red LED in the toilet. This has happened to ours, and others on here have reported the same thing. The LED is a slightly strange one with a built-in resistor, but can be replaced with bog-standard (haha) LED and 1k-ohm resistor by someone with a little electrical and soldering knowledge.

MP.

Be aware that the actual light can fail. If the light doesn't work with any of the cassettes, then the problem may be the actual red LED in the toilet. This has happened to ours, and others on here have reported the same thing. The LED is a slightly strange one with a built-in resistor, but can be replaced with bog-standard (haha) LED and 1k-ohm resistor by someone with a little electrical and soldering knowledge.

MP.

This is how it all began! The red light was reported as not working so a little investigation revealed a number of possible causes. The first appeared to be the float in the cassette being dislodged. Having attended to one cassette today we now know that we have one with a properly positioned float. It would be nice to get the other cassette in a similar state. Part of the problem is that the boat is used infrequently and the cassettes only need emptying about three times per year each.

At least now we can see what happens when the cassette currently fitted fills - if it does before the end of the "season" - at which time it will be emptied come what may (although we may try topping it up with water if it isn't full to see if the warning line comes on).