Liverpool Canal Link

MartinClark

Featured Posts

it all looks very good, i only live about ten minutes drive from liverpool but have not yet had chance to go for a look at the new link.

any idea when it will be ready to take boats?. it is all very exciting to see the link taking shape i think it will be fantastic for the city.

i went to liverpool last week and cant believe how the city is changing, it is just a shame for those that live in the outskirts that their areas are not getting the same investment as the city itself.

i for one cant wait to take a boat up the new link, as i live in the wirral does anyone know if you will still be able to cross the mersey to the wirral, if so how does one get the required info/permission?

Nik

"any idea when it will be ready to take boats?. it is all very exciting to see the link taking shape i think it will be fantastic for the city."

Martin will probably know better than me, but from what I've read, the link will be completed August/September 2008 (the section in front of the three graces), however the link will not be open to navigation until 2009.

Ben

"any idea when it will be ready to take boats?. it is all very exciting to see the link taking shape i think it will be fantastic for the city."

Martin will probably know better than me, but from what I've read, the link will be completed August/September 2008 (the section in front of the three graces), however the link will not be open to navigation until 2009.

Ben

You are correct, Ben. The Pier Head area is supposed to be finished in September, The whole canal link is scheduled to be completed in December. It will open for navigation in Spring 2009.

• 2 weeks later...
You are correct, Ben. The Pier Head area is supposed to be finished in September, The whole canal link is scheduled to be completed in December. It will open for navigation in Spring 2009.

This is definitely on the shortlist for our 2009 trip - usually 3rd week in May leading up to the Bank Holiday. The problem now is finding a hire base within 3-4 cruising days of Liverpool to enable us to get to Liverpool and back to base in a week.. and with a boat which sleeps 8-10. They seem a bit sparse in the area at present.

Anyboy know what amenities are proposed in the Albert

dock for all the lucky boaters who make the passage.

Because each year what hear that those that came down the

Mersey and into the dock have nothing no power, water,

elsan etc.

Edited by Ian B

Anyboy know what amenities are proposed in the Albert

dock for all the lucky boaters who make the passage.

Because each year what hear that those that came down the

Mersey and into the dock have nothing no power, water,

elsan etc.

water point has been available to boats at the pontoons and the council truck for sewage disposal has been present on a daily basis at the end of the pontoons.

dont know what facilities are planned but i would imagine they will situated someplace before the albert dock or the liver building section , the leaseholders to the albert dock complex will not even allow dogs to be walked on their site.

This is definitely on the shortlist for our 2009 trip - usually 3rd week in May leading up to the Bank Holiday. The problem now is finding a hire base within 3-4 cruising days of Liverpool to enable us to get to Liverpool and back to base in a week.. and with a boat which sleeps 8-10. They seem a bit sparse in the area at present.

You are indeed right they are sparse. Certainly none on the L&L that I know of which sleep 8-10 other than Silsden and they are too far.

The nearest base I can think of which would make this possible is Claymore Navigation at Preston Brook.

You are indeed right they are sparse. Certainly none on the L&L that I know of which sleep 8-10 other than Silsden and they are too far.

The nearest base I can think of which would make this possible is Claymore Navigation at Preston Brook.

There is (or was last year) a small hire company working from the old L&L cruisers site at Heath Charnock near Chorley, but I doubt they have a big enough boat. Can't remember their name.

Claymoore Navigation is certainly within range of Liverpool for a week - only 8 locks to Liverpool and a few swing bridges. Black Prince at Acton Bridge and at a push Alvechurch at Anderton also within range.

Excellent photos, Martin, and a really interesting site. Like it a lot.

Well, thanks!

Will the first section be in water when completed this year, to add to the look?

I don't know that, Chris. There are two locks currently under construction, north and south of the Pier Head section, and these will not be finished when the Pier Head section is complete. However, I think the whole Link will be complete by the end of the year. BW then has to carry out tests on it, so they will need to put water in for that, but I don't know how soon.

• 2 months later...

litherland moorings and services , the last before liverpool is to have a new tesco superstore adjacent to them.

planning permision has now been granted and building work is to begin asap according to tesco spokesman , pedestrian access to the store will see a new bridge built across the canal and on the non towpath side cycle lane will be provided.

bearing in mind the uncertainty about fuel on the canals the tesco will have 24/7 fuel forecourt.

• 2 weeks later...

plans show the new bridge at this location will be a electric operated swing brige at the site of the long gone lift bridge and not an elevated footpath to replace the present dilapadated one.

Edited by gaggle

How fantastic is it that all this is happening so close to home (i live in Wirral), liverpool has gone through some really bad times (and still is in some parts of the city) this is a brilliant and fascinating thing that is happening to the city. i love liverpool and wish i was still living in the city.

like you said Night Hawk, i only live around two miles from liverpool and i too have not been over recently to see the new link take shape (work work work) i feel really guilty to be honest. i will certainly go over on my next day off (ha what are they). if anyone is planning a cruise down the new link when it opens then i will make myself free to assist you on your passage (theres a hint for someone looking for extra crew to assist in the passage).

keep the pictures coming (i will post some of my own if i can get close enough)

Nik

Whereabouts I wonder.....and where d'ya moor your boat?

Concerning the new link.....Stretches of the canal leading up to the new link are utterly dreadful...Folk I've met who've done the trip this season have had to endure all sorts of dreadful things both floating and hurled from the towpath!

I just hope that this new link isn't just a grand waste of cash after next season draws to a close!

A

i have met one off these boaters who claim to have had bricks thrown at them at litherland on the way through to eldonian , i met him as a lot of boats were held up at hall lane bridge when it was broke and no passage through could be made.

as i wondered up and asked how the trip from liverpool had been he went on to ramble about kids at litherland throwing stones , unknown to this man i was on the boat behind him as he approached litherland.

no kids were seen by me on the towpath but i did see the man stop at the moorings there to use the facilities so the kids he imagined or made up the story about could not have threatened them that much.

i have talked to loats of people who have moored in the eldonian village and not heard of any boats being attacked , i make it my business to ask if they had any trouble and the worst i have been told is that some kids playing hide and seek were on my boat , they explained the kids went away when asked.

a lot of debri and rubbish is in the waterway but no worse than say blackburn or burnley , i have been down the weed hatch no more than once on each trip back and forth to liverpool from the maghull pick up point.

if you yourself have not made the trip how can you state the stretch is utterly dreadful , do the trip and then say it if you find it to be true.

the new link is not about next season , the millions have not been spent just to let boaters pop into liverpool for one year.

it is not just about the link , the aim also includes the regeneration of the canal corridor through the sefton area of merseyside.

as nbw have been so kind to point out yet another £1.9 million has just been injected and this is a whole coastal package.

its not perfect ,but where is.

:lol:

i have met one off these boaters who claim to have had bricks thrown at them at litherland on the way through to eldonian , i met him as a lot of boats were held up at hall lane bridge when it was broke and no passage through could be made.

as i wondered up and asked how the trip from liverpool had been he went on to ramble about kids at litherland throwing stones , unknown to this man i was on the boat behind him as he approached litherland.

no kids were seen by me on the towpath but i did see the man stop at the moorings there to use the facilities so the kids he imagined or made up the story about could not have threatened them that much.

i have talked to loats of people who have moored in the eldonian village and not heard of any boats being attacked , i make it my business to ask if they had any trouble and the worst i have been told is that some kids playing hide and seek were on my boat , they explained the kids went away when asked.

a lot of debri and rubbish is in the waterway but no worse than say blackburn or burnley , i have been down the weed hatch no more than once on each trip back and forth to liverpool from the maghull pick up point.

if you yourself have not made the trip how can you state the stretch is utterly dreadful , do the trip and then say it if you find it to be true.

the new link is not about next season , the millions have not been spent just to let boaters pop into liverpool for one year.

it is not just about the link , the aim also includes the regeneration of the canal corridor through the sefton area of merseyside.

as nbw have been so kind to point out yet another £1.9 million has just been injected and this is a whole coastal package.

its not perfect ,but where is.

My school just about overlooks a stretch of it!

There's a panel factory that makes those huge square insulated industrial panels....kids had nicked several and were using them as rafts...a suzuki 4x4 had been pushed into the cut....and, sadly, kids nearby regularly use passing boats as target practice....I really do hope that the run into Liverpool is regenerated.....You're right in that boaters should give it a go and make up their own minds....

the panels are roofing profile sheets taken from a derilict factory in bootle and i dont see boats passing through that regular never mind kids throwing at them for target practice.

if the 4x4 you refer to is in vauxhall it haas been in the water for some time now and i assume bw have a problem removing it but have moved it right out of the channel.

i did have the numbers for boats that have made the passage through to liverpool for the last couple of years and they could not be said to be regula

it may happen but i have not seen it happening and it has not happened to us on on the many times we have done the trip on the boat.

the community support officers are to be seen regular around the vauxhall area and funds have been provided for rangers patrols and cctv to be installed through the rimrose valley and sefton.

whatever is wrong huge efforts are being made at improvements in the run up to the link opening.

bootle is where the bugs wore clogs and the kids played tick with hatchets it is said but things are changing.

edit to add

stoppoge notice out now shows a car is in the canal at ring of bells bridge 34 , thats out in lathom ,countryside.

it,s not just vauxhall .

Edited by gaggle

Night Hawk, i live in bromborough just near to the village hotel.

unfortunately i dont have a boat at the moment but i did have one a couple of years ago it was "moored" on my driveway (yes it was a tupperware one).

the canal link and the massive regeneration to the city centre can only be a good thing for liverpool i for one cant wait to see the outcome of all the money spent. i think it will be fantastic.

has anyone been to the new liverpool one shopping centre? and also seen the Echo Arena? liverpool is definately on the up.

when a city is spruced up a bit and new shopping centres are built that is generally it but if you just look at the regeneration of the city centre it is astounding the amount of things that are changing. can anyone tell me the last major Uk city that has had a new canal built as part of its regeneration? the Echo Arena is hosting the world famous MTV music awards coming soon to the city, this event is huge and will probably never be held again in liverpool, like i keep banging on about this city is definatley going up up up. about time too!!!

any way enough of that, back to the Pinot

Nik

The new shopping areas are spectacular...if you like that sort of thing...Sad that the trams won't be calling there....Like my fellow Bromborarian from this side of the Mersey, I'm thrilled to see my favourite city on the up...

The Liverpool section of the L&L canal has always been held in mild derision by the locals!...according to my cleaner at work who's lived in a house by the cut for decades!