Modification of a Morso Squirrel before fitting.

Odessa

Featured Posts

Hi All

I'm in the process of replacing my Villager Puffin with the Morso Squirrel 1410 complete with back boiler.

A friend of mine, a very well seasoned narrowboater, has told me to remove the smoke hood to improve the draught. Once the stove is fitted I'm told this part cannot be removed or replaced. Although as a fair novice I'm happy to take advice, i have searched the net and found no mention of this modification. I have read the fitting instructions and it mentions to remove the smoke hood when using the rear flue outlet and obviously I'm using the top outlet.

Anyone had this experience with this mod?

Regards

Mike

Hi All

I'm in the process of replacing my Villager Puffin with the Morso Squirrel 1410 complete with back boiler.

A friend of mine, a very well seasoned narrowboater, has told me to remove the smoke hood to improve the draught. Once the stove is fitted I'm told this part cannot be removed or replaced. Although as a fair novice I'm happy to take advice, i have searched the net and found no mention of this modification. I have read the fitting instructions and it mentions to remove the smoke hood when using the rear flue outlet and obviously I'm using the top outlet.

Regards

Mike

I've got that stove. What's the "smoke hood". Show me which bit it is and I'll see if it can be removed easily on one that's already fitted.

Gibbo

Hi All

Regards

Mike

I assume this refers to the baffle plate, which i would not recommend removing as the draught on a Squirrel is pretty damn fierce even with a short flue. You would bend the poor thing without it and lose most of your heat.

In any case the back boiler replaces the baffle plate so you can't.

To replace or get to either you need to remove the top plate which is fixed with 4 nuts, one in each corner that you reach through the door. If your back boiler is fitted then it is tricky to get at the two at the rear.

When I fitted my Morso back boiler I seem to remember that there was a baffle plate and a smoke hood (a bulbous piece of metal) both of which interferred with the location of the boiler. I queried it with the very helpful chap at Morso who advised removal of both items. I recall that I was given the impression that the smoke hood was a new innovation by the manufacturers. The Morso chap also sent me fitting instructions for the boiler - a series of photographs which were very helpful. As I wouldn't like to try and reinstall everything I hope you are advised the same.