WEBASTO NIGHTMARE - COULD IT BE RED DIESEL ?

Paul Sylvan

Featured Posts

Quite separately and "out of the blue" I rang Jason, who I met and talked to at the recent NEC show, about Webastos and fuel, and current thoughts...

Summary of the discussion was that the Webasto was fine on red or white diesel and also on 28 second domestic heating oil which is cleaner.

He also said the Webasto had to be rested ( hence my other post on "resting" ) and said it was that "was what boilers need" although couldn't really explain why ( now answered) - Your domestic boiler gets rested by being on twice a day and in the same way so does the Webasto need this...... Actually our domestic boiler gets shoved on constant day and night when outside temps drop below -7 deg C and we do get this ( around -10 deg C minimum a few times this winter when a burst would be catastrophic for the sake of a bit of fuel)

I pinged him on rumours that some people seemed to be having issues and he indicated that this seemed to be emanating from quite a small geograpical area in the main and this might suggest quality of fuel supply... he couldn't / wouldn't be more specific but suggested that fuel bought from established sources with good turnover should result in no problems...

I can read between his lines where his suspicions lie

Nick

That's not correct for Webasto - they specify red diesel or white diesel. BK Marine told me this week that red diesel is definitely and categorically OK for the Webasto. What isn't OK is lower quality heating oil as sold by some working boats and some disreputable marinas (his words).

Without talking to them, you don't know what the recommended service interval is, so how can you state this?

For the Webasto that's very true but for the Eberspacher, received wisdom is that it is not so easy. i have no idea why though as I have no experience of Ebers.

Chris

The sevice interval for my original Eberspacher Hydronic 10 was reccommended by them as 2000 hours!

Who are the disreputable marinas and working boats? Can we know please for all our sakes.

My neighbour self serviced their Eber and it was straightforward.

Roger Gunkel

This lack of most people getting to grips with the main issue here is highly frustrating for those of us who are suffering the problems.

Let me state it yet again.

We buy a brand new boat to live aboard, which is fitted with a diesel powered cental heating system. The system is fueled from the main diesel tank as supplied by the builder. We fill the boat with fuel taking care to use a reputable supplier with a high fuel turnover and expect to service our heater at least once a year as instructed. A few weeks later the heating system fails due to high levels of coking. The verdict of the supplier is that we have used a fuel of inferior quality.

Red diesel is the only fuel readily available on the waterways. Just about all boats using these waterways have diesel engines which run trouble free for years on the available fuel even though there may be the odd instance (largely unsubstantiated) of lower quality fuel supplies, this doesn't seem to trouble our engines. My and other users point, is that any heating system supplied as a central heating system for boats, should be able to run on the fuel available to the expectations of a central heating system owner. By definition, that expectation should be for a system to supply heating in the same way that any system, domestic or otherwise should.

The fact that these systems burn differently to IC engines or are more sensitive to fuel quality is completely irrelevant! The fact is that they are sold knowingly into this environment and should be suitable for the purpose for which they are sold to us and robust enough to cope with variations.

If they are unable to do so, which appears to be the case, then it is not down to the new owner to start putting in various additives, ringing BK Marine, Eberspacher or Webasto etc. It is wholly upon the seller of the boat to ensure that the product fulfills the purpose for which it was sold. If that means that the SUPPLIER has to seek advice from BK marine or Joe Bloggs & Son then so be it. The same applies to additives, fuel supplies, running time, service hours etc. If there are known issues, which there clearly are, the supplier is under a clear obligation to make this information openly available to all prospective purchasers.

All of these units have been around for a number of years and have been picked up by boat builders as a compact and convenient way of heating boats. It is only comparatively recently that there has been a big increase in living aboard as an alternative lifestyle and the issues we are now seeing are very much coming to the fore. This has resulted in much smoke blowing, buck passing and vague suggestions from builders and suppliers alike. At the same time many suppliers are suggesting that they may not be suitable for liveaboard use, whilst others are quietly using alternatives. The suggestion from a few posters recently that manufacturers will not honour guarantees for liveaboard use, is scandalous if true.

One final comment from me is that if anyone is seriously still looking at having such a heating system fitted, they should insist on having an hours counter fitted as I have on my Eber and keep all receipts of when and where their fuel supplies came from.

Roger Gunkel

The one thing you find very quickly from the boatbuilders perspective is that a great deal of inland waterways marine equipment is supplied via UK agent/dealers.

You quite often discover the monkey can't even whistle the tune let alone wind the handle on the Organ Grinder's organ! :)

You really do have to try hard to find one, I think Eberspacher probably wish they had an agent some days. :o

Edited by Gary Peacock

I have been Following this thread with both interest and a rising sense of dread! As we have a new liveaboard boat commisioned from a reputable builder which is to be fitted with a Webasto system!

A a direct result of the most recent set of posts i have sent the following e mail to BK Marine!

Qoute>

Dear Sir

I am writing to request clarification and or confirmation of information that has been passed to me by a number of people that you are not willing to honour warranty claims made on Webasto products when they have been fitted to live aboard narrow boats.

If that is indeed the case I would also be grateful if you could point me to where in your sales information printed/or web based that warns that these products are in fact not suitable for this purpose.

My interest is that I have commissioned a live aboard boat from reputable builder who fits Webasto units as standard so you can imagine my concern

Your full and early reply would be much appreciated

Yours Faithfully

A. J. Gill

End qoute>

It will be very interesting to see what form the reply takes.

I believe that their are two points possibly at issue here

First the supply of goods which under the sale of goods act could be deemed to be 'Not fit for purpose' by failing to warn that they are not suitable! And or the breach by not honouring the warranty having supplied the goods of the unfair/restrictive contract terms legislation.

I can find no evidence in either printed or web information that the manufacturers/distributors give any indication that the product is not suitable or should not be fitted to live aboard boats.

I will be consulting my local trading standards office to seek an opinion!

Roger,

I am following this thread also with some concern as I could be in this very situation in about a years time...

I think I would take a sample of the fuel now, ( a litre say ) just in case an analysis becomes necessary.. or if you have a friend in the business, have it analysed.

What I have deduced from the many bits of information is that there seems to be a query over the quality of supply and just because you may have purchased from a completely honest and reliable source is no guarantee that the fuel is as the manufacturer intended. It may have been old stock, contaminated or stored in an above ground tank in direct sun at a higher than usual ambient temp .... the possibilities are numerous.

One less expensive way to verify the equipment may be to run it for a while off a small header tank of white / road diesel newly purchased from a filling station.

I will certainly be specifying separate tanks, filling each appropriately and providing for drain down easily into jerry cans in case of need.

Whilst I appreciate it is not down to the new owner to sort out any problems, I don't have confidence some builders know how to approach the solving of a problem such as this, and may well not have the interest or abilities some of the more knowledgable owners here certainly have...

I guess you know that though :o

Nick

First the supply of goods which under the sale of goods act could be deemed to be 'Not fit for purpose' by failing to warn that they are not suitable! And or the breach by not honouring the warranty having supplied the goods of the unfair/restrictive contract terms legislation.

I can find no evidence in either printed or web information that the manufacturers/distributors give any indication that the product is not suitable or should not be fitted to live aboard boats.

Note that any action who may consider taking can ONLY be against your boat supplier from whom you have bought your equipment. There is NO contract of sale between you and Webasto and therefore any action against them will fail. It is the responsibility of your supplier (ie: your boat builder) to ensure goods he supplies are both "fit for purpose" and "of merchantable quality".

Chris

I have been Following this thread with both interest and a rising sense of dread! As we have a new liveaboard boat commisioned from a reputable builder which is to be fitted with a Webasto system!

A a direct result of the most recent set of posts i have sent the following e mail to BK Marine!

Qoute>

Dear Sir

I am writing to request clarification and or confirmation of information that has been passed to me by a number of people that you are not willing to honour warranty claims made on Webasto products when they have been fitted to live aboard narrow boats.

If that is indeed the case I would also be grateful if you could point me to where in your sales information printed/or web based that warns that these products are in fact not suitable for this purpose.

My interest is that I have commissioned a live aboard boat from reputable builder who fits Webasto units as standard so you can imagine my concern

Yours Faithfully

A. J. Gill

End qoute>

Welcome to the club Oasistoo!

Its refreshing to finally find that there is a growing backlash to this problem. You are actually in a very good position compared to many who have already taken delivery and found problems. You can certainly expect to be given precise information as to exactly what to expect from your system and whether your expectations based on the information you have, is equalled by the guarantees you will receive. If you are not totally satisfied that the system will perform to your expectations, don't accept it!

Perhaps we can all benefit from any demands that you make and any new information that you gain.

Good luck and keep posting

Roger Gunkel

Note that any action who may consider taking can ONLY be against your boat supplier from whom you have bought your equipment. There is NO contract of sale between you and Webasto and therefore any action against them will fail. It is the responsibility of your supplier (ie: your boat builder) to ensure goods he supplies are both "fit for purpose" and "of merchantable quality".

Chris

Chris I am well aware of that :o

Not considering taking action against any one as that is the no win route just pointing up the fact that the problem is more insidious than it first appears. (I run a company so am well aware of the chain of responsibilty)

Cheers

Tony

Chris

Chris, I am sure you are right on that from a purchaser and contract point of view, but I think that there would be quite a good case for trading standards to look at the marketing, if the advertising by the manufacturer was deemed to be misleading.

Roger Gunkel

Roger,

I am following this thread also with some concern as I could be in this very situation in about a years time...

I think I would take a sample of the fuel now, ( a litre say ) just in case an analysis becomes necessary.. or if you have a friend in the business, have it analysed.

What I have deduced from the many bits of information is that there seems to be a query over the quality of supply and just because you may have purchased from a completely honest and reliable source is no guarantee that the fuel is as the manufacturer intended. It may have been old stock, contaminated or stored in an above ground tank in direct sun at a higher than usual ambient temp .... the possibilities are numerous.

One less expensive way to verify the equipment may be to run it for a while off a small header tank of white / road diesel newly purchased from a filling station.

I will certainly be specifying separate tanks, filling each appropriately and providing for drain down easily into jerry cans in case of need.

Whilst I appreciate it is not down to the new owner to sort out any problems, I don't have confidence some builders know how to approach the solving of a problem such as this, and may well not have the interest or abilities some of the more knowledgable owners here certainly have...

I guess you know that though :o

Nick

Hi Nick,

I sympathise with your concerns, but I refer back to a point I made in an earlier posting which is that there may well be variables in fuel purity for an infinite number of reasons. That always has, and probably will be the case but doesn't seem to make one iota of difference to our engines. These heaters are being marketed into a known fuel environment and if they are not robust enough to manage the normal fuel variations, they are not suitable for the market. There are other heating alternatives and perhaps if we all stop trying to use the super sensitive hi-tec boilers. then the manufacturers will finally get around to providing an effective solution. I can't believe it is a technical impossibility to incorporate filters to clean the fuel if neccessary or redesigning to allow lower temperature firing. I do not profess to be a technician and if that is not possible at least be open with the facts to potential customers.

It is a possibility that derogation will lead to a wider availabilty of lower sulphur and higher cetane rated red diesel, in which case the problem will go away, but until then, accountability and user information should be the way to go.

Roger Gunkel

Qoute>

Dear Sir

Yours Faithfully

A. J. Gill

End qoute>

This link to The BK Marine might be of interest http://www.boatcentralheating.co.uk/faq.htm#9

"Either road diesel or marine diesel can be used"

Edited by Chris G

This link to The BK Marine might be of interest http://www.boatcentralheating.co.uk/faq.htm#9

"Either road diesel or marine diesel can be used"

Note also on that page that it states that heavy-usage Webasto customers (eg:liveaboards and hire boats) may need an annual service while other boaters may be able to go for three years before servicing is required.

Certainly, my straw poll of one, would support the casual boater bit as my combustion chamber was only lightly coked after one year's recreational use.

Chris

Note also on that page that it states that heavy-usage Webasto customers (eg:liveaboards and hire boats) may need an annual service while other boaters may be able to go for three years before servicing is required.

Certainly, my straw poll of one, would support the casual boater bit as my combustion chamber was only lightly coked after one year's recreational use.

Chris

Thats great news! I am now going to junk my knackerd Eberspacher and dash down to BK Marine for a brand new Webasto that I will be able to confidently run on red diesel for 12 months before I need to book a service. It will probably have done at least 4000 hours by then, but they do state annual service. Brilliant!!!!! I'm sure Paul Sylvan and the others will be glad to see that!

Roger

This is the reply I have received from BK marine's Brian Kaye

Qoute>

Mr Gill

This is most definately NOT the case. Some stupid rumour seems to have come from Kingsground narrowboats, who got this in their heads. We immediately responded with the same answer I will give you. Webasto offer the same warranty to all and sundry, whether the boat was bought in the UK or not.

The heater is guaranteed for 2 years for all parts excepting the burner unit and gaskets. These are "consumable parts" and if you refer to your warranty sheet, are not covered at all. Similar to a car warranty, however as a gesture, Webasto will cover the burner for 1 year only, and will replace it only once FOC in this period.

This free issue burner is subject to the heater having been installed exactly as recommended in the installation manual. A very large number of boat builders do not adher to our instructions, particularly to fuel and exhaust, and this does cause burning problems.If this were the case the burner warranty would be null and void.

One exception to any warranty is if the heater is not sold and designed as a "marine" heater. Many vehicle heaters are currently fitted to boats and as such absolutely no warranty will apply. All heaters sold by my company are "marine" and therefore should not be a problem. I do not know who your builder is but if he bought it from me you need not worry, but if he didnt I suggest you check where it came from. We are the main Inland distributor and therefore it should have done, but not allways.

I would appreciate you telling me where your information came from as Webasto take a very dim view of incorrect and damaging comments, and often persue the matter further.

I imagine that this is just typical "towpath talk" subject to inaccurate and incorrect information, however boat owners can be very gullable, and often pass on this information without checking as you have done.

I hope this puts your mind at rest.

I will pass your E mail and my reply on to the Sales manager at Webasto.

Brian Kaye

End Qoute>

One exception to any warranty is if the heater is not sold and designed as a "marine" heater. Many vehicle heaters are currently fitted to boats and as such absolutely no warranty will apply.

So, what is the difference between the car and marine units? If anything, the unit for cars/lorries should be better constructed. The narrowboat one is inside a steel compartment whereas the one in the car, although not so much the lorry, is subjected to all sort of corrosion from exposure to the elements.

Sounds interesting, I wonder what BK Marine make of using a cetane boosting additive to reduce coking, and so help increase efficiency and servicing intervals? Do they have any experience in this area?

As this thread shows, getting the 'right' kind of red diesel on the waterways can be a bit of a lottery!

Boat owner to red diesel seller: "Is this red diesel to DIN spec. EN590, with a cetane index of 51???"

Red diesel seller: "WTF??? Errr, yes... I think it is!!!" B)

cheers,

Pete.

Edited by smileypete

Sounds interesting, I wonder what BK Marine make of using a cetane boosting additive to reduce coking, and so help increase efficiency and servicing intervals? Do they have any experience in this area?

As this thread shows, getting the 'right' kind of red diesel on the waterways can be a bit of a lottery!

Boat owner to red diesel seller: "Is this red diesel to DIN spec. EN590, with a cetane index of 51???"

Red diesel seller: "WTF??? Errr, yes... I think it is!!!" B)

cheers,

Pete.

Ah the cetane boosting additive again!

If you look at the BK Marine website, as I have, you will find quite clearly that they do not reccommend the use of any additives for Webasto heaters.

A CONVERSATION WITH BK MARINE

I decided to contact BK Marine today, although I am not and never have been a Webasto user. I spoke to Jason Kaye who is Brian's son.

We had an interesting conversation and I was quite clear that any information which he gave to me would be passed on. I will try to summarise the points.

DO BK MARINE GUARANTEE WEBASTO HEATERS USED ON LIVEABOARDS:- Yes they do with no variations to the warranty cover.

HOW MANY NEW CUSTOMERS ARE LIVEABOARDS:- Possibly around half.

DO WEBASTO HEATERS RUN EFFICIENTLY ON RED DIESEL:- Yes they do with full guarantee support, but only if the red diesel is to EN590 or better.

This led to a more extended conversation about fuel suppliers and I was told that three areas of the country cause the main fuel problems, with most breakdowns in those areas. They are Leicester, Gloucester and Lancashire. Jason said that most of those fuels had been supplied from mobile fuelling boats and most from the same ones. This was further quantified by saying that the fuel supplied was actually gas oil which is illegal to sell as red diesel. My reply was that most of those people that I had come across with major problems had obtained their supplies from reputable outlets. Jason suggested that Brian was more knowledgeable in that field than he was and it would be worth discussing with him.

HOW MANY HOURS WOULD HE SUGGEST AS A REASONABLE SERVICE INTERVAL:- They suggest time scales rather than hours and mentioned annual servicing for a liveaboard. I replied that 4000 hours would be quite possible for liveaboard use and he suggested in that case 6 months would be more appropriate. I enquired whether an hours counter was available , but at this time it is not. There is however a highly sophisticated trade diagnostic programme which runs on a laptop and costs about £150.

WHAT LENGTH OF DAILY RUNNING HOURS DO THEY RECCOMMEND FOR RELIABILITY :- 8-10 hours daily with 2-3 hours at a time being reasonable. I said that I felt that was not compatible with the requirements of a domestic heating system in mid winter on a boat. He replied that his own house system comes on in the morning and evening, but he is of course at work during the day. I asked whether those who required an even temperature all day might run a thermostatically controlled system. He felt that may be OK providing the system was allowed to shut down from time to time. That would suggest that unlike a house system it couldn't be left on idle to come back up when temperatures drop, but rather to be run on the timer. Under no circumstances should it be left on for 24 hours per day.

There were a number of related issues discussed. I mentioned my Eberspacher problems and was told that they stopped supplying them because of a number of problems relating to reliability and support. I also mentioned discussion forums to which he was a little scathing, suggesting that anybody who took notice of talk on on a forum, wouldn't be a welcome customer. I disagreed, pointing out that were a great number of informed and intelligent contributors with various problems and solutions and that without this forum, I would not have contacted him to find his point of view.

The conversation, which was frank and friendly ended with the suggestion that if I or any forum members wanted to know more, to email a list of question and he and Brian would answer them fully.

SO WHAT DO YOU WANT TO ASK and I will put them in an email

Roger

Ah the cetane boosting additive again!

If you look at the BK Marine website, as I have, you will find quite clearly that they do not reccommend the use of any additives for Webasto heaters.

A CONVERSATION WITH BK MARINE

I decided to contact BK Marine today, although I am not and never have been a Webasto user. I spoke to Jason Kaye who is Brian's son.

We had an interesting conversation and I was quite clear that any information which he gave to me would be passed on. I will try to summarise the points.

DO BK MARINE GUARANTEE WEBASTO HEATERS USED ON LIVEABOARDS:- Yes they do with no variations to the warranty cover.

HOW MANY NEW CUSTOMERS ARE LIVEABOARDS:- Possibly around half.

DO WEBASTO HEATERS RUN EFFICIENTLY ON RED DIESEL:- Yes they do with full guarantee support, but only if the red diesel is to EN590 or better.

This led to a more extended conversation about fuel suppliers and I was told that three areas of the country cause the main fuel problems, with most breakdowns in those areas. They are Leicester, Gloucester and Lancashire. Jason said that most of those fuels had been supplied from mobile fuelling boats and most from the same ones. This was further quantified by saying that the fuel supplied was actually gas oil which is illegal to sell as red diesel. My reply was that most of those people that I had come across with major problems had obtained their supplies from reputable outlets. Jason suggested that Brian was more knowledgeable in that field than he was and it would be worth discussing with him.

HOW MANY HOURS WOULD HE SUGGEST AS A REASONABLE SERVICE INTERVAL:- They suggest time scales rather than hours and mentioned annual servicing for a liveaboard. I replied that 4000 hours would be quite possible for liveaboard use and he suggested in that case 6 months would be more appropriate. I enquired whether an hours counter was available , but at this time it is not. There is however a highly sophisticated trade diagnostic programme which runs on a laptop and costs about £150.

WHAT LENGTH OF DAILY RUNNING HOURS DO THEY RECCOMMEND FOR RELIABILITY :- 8-10 hours daily with 2-3 hours at a time being reasonable. I said that I felt that was not compatible with the requirements of a domestic heating system in mid winter on a boat. He replied that his own house system comes on in the morning and evening, but he is of course at work during the day. I asked whether those who required an even temperature all day might run a thermostatically controlled system. He felt that may be OK providing the system was allowed to shut down from time to time. That would suggest that unlike a house system it couldn't be left on idle to come back up when temperatures drop, but rather to be run on the timer. Under no circumstances should it be left on for 24 hours per day.

There were a number of related issues discussed. I mentioned my Eberspacher problems and was told that they stopped supplying them because of a number of problems relating to reliability and support. I also mentioned discussion forums to which he was a little scathing, suggesting that anybody who took notice of talk on on a forum, wouldn't be a welcome customer. I disagreed, pointing out that were a great number of informed and intelligent contributors with various problems and solutions and that without this forum, I would not have contacted him to find his point of view.

The conversation, which was frank and friendly ended with the suggestion that if I or any forum members wanted to know more, to email a list of question and he and Brian would answer them fully.

SO WHAT DO YOU WANT TO ASK and I will put them in an email

Roger

I did suggest to brian Kay when i replied to his email posted above that he might contribute to this discussion to help dispell the misinformation. Ipointed out that to do so could only be in his companies interest.

Edited by oasistoo

I'm keeping a note of all questions, so keep them coming and when he have most areas of doubt covered, I will email BK Marine with the questions and I think I will also email Eberspacher with the same.

SMILEYPETE I've got to ask this: do you have interests in a cetane boosting additives company? B)B)

Roger

Just to throw yet more confusion into the pot.....

I have a webasto that I purchased from BK Marine and has been installed for about 18 months. I don't live aboard, and most of my space heating is done by a solid fuel stove, so the webasto is rarely run for more than 1-2 hours at a time and usually only once or twice a day (basically to heat the water and boost the temperature in the back cabin).

I only have one fuel tank so the webasto uses the same fuel as the engine (complete with a dose of fuel set in winter), and has no in-line filter. The fuel is usually purchased from my home marina. I only visit the boat about every three weeks or so, but so far ... no problems.

However, when I purchased it, virtually the first question I was asked by the person I spoke to at BK Marine (couldn't tell you who it was though) was 'do you live on the boat?'

When I said 'no', the response was 'Good, I wouldn't sell you one if you did'

Interesting that the same people now say they are OK for liveaboard use! I have no record of the above, as it was a verbal conversation, but I know what I heard.

Peter

SMILEYPETE I've got to ask this: do you have interests in a cetane boosting additives company? B)B)

I'm just interested as to whether it helps or not.

Some Eberspachers, Webastos and Mikunis perform poorly using the 'wrong' sort of diesel, it would be worth finding something that helps, even if not ideal.

cheers,

Pete.