WEBASTO NIGHTMARE - COULD IT BE RED DIESEL ?

Paul Sylvan

Featured Posts

Does it boost cetane though? It looks like it just deals with moisture in fuel.

cheers,

Pete.

To be honest I don't know, but you are down the right lines with cetane ratings.

We fitted a lot of Eberspachers and only ever had two customers who experience major problems one of those was after a lot of tooing and throwing put down to a specimen of fuel taken having a low cetane rating.

My own experience with Fuelset, was that it made no noticeable difference over a 3 month period as my Eberspacher still gave up after a similar number of running hours. I also reiterate what I have previously said, why spend thousands on a heating system that then requires you trying to find something that helps to keep it running. If it doesn't run properly on the available fuel, don't buy it in the first place.

As regards the companies changing their marketing strategy, why shouldn't they? By their own admission there is obviously a problem with red diesel and they and their suppliers must be open and honest about this or they are mis-representing their products. Most people buying boats with these systems being fitted, have no knowledge or experience of the problems and are relying on the guidance of their supplier. If all the suppliers took Gary's line of either not fitting them, or explaining the problems carefully, the sales would quickly dry up and manufacturers would have to address the problem or pull out of the boating market. I do think that forums like this are making people aware of the problem at last and at least giving them the option of making a more informed choice.

Roger Gunkel

My own experience with Fuelset, was that it made no noticeable difference over a 3 month period as my Eberspacher still gave up after a similar number of running hours. I also reiterate what I have previously said, why spend thousands on a heating system that then requires you trying to find something that helps to keep it running. If it doesn't run properly on the available fuel, don't buy it in the first place.

Has Paul tried a cetane boosting additive?

As far as I know Fuelset is not a cetane booster!!! :D

cheers,

Pete.

Edited by smileypete

Has Paul tried a cetane boosting additive?

As far as I know Fuelset is not a cetane booster!!! :D

cheers,

Pete.

Pete,

I'm sure Paul is able to respond to your suggestion, but my conversation with him leads me to think that he will probably say the same as me. He bought the product in good faith, to run on the available fuel from the tank it was connected to. Whilst your suggestion of a cetane boosting additive is possibly something that may help the running, it is not down to the customer to try to get it working. It is down to the supplier and manufacturer to provide a properly functioning unit. If it requires additives, then that information should be available before purchase not afterwards when the problems become apparent.

I am also perfectly aware that Fuelset is not a cetane booster, but is a product which Eberspacher have reccommended to improve combustion, which in my case made no difference at all. I think that it is also fair to say that if we start shoving various non manufacturer approved types of additives into our fuel in the hope that it might make our heating work, then those same manufacturers might well say that the guarantee is made void by using non approved additives.

Roger Gunkel

Hi,

I read on one of the forums that a leading oil co had admitted that red deisel is the same as home heating oil and is much different from the road fuels in use today.

The government are pledged to reduce the sulphur content over the next couple of years to road fuel levels this no doubt will solve the heater probs. However....... :DI have a vintage engine in my NB Tarka which needs he sulphur as a lubricant (like lead in 4 star petrol) does anyone know what effect the reduction in sulphur willl have on old marine deisels.

Does this warrant another thread? Are there additives we can use.

cheers

Ian

I have never seen or read that sulphur has lubricating properties. On the contary, it is highly reactive with some metals when burning, reducing the life of the burner.

The main problem with two manufactureers types of burners mentioned on this thread is that the burners are poor design and quality which shows up when running on red. Germany has been using low sulphur fuels for much longer than the UK so these units would not have been tested on gas-oil.

Hi,

I have been reading these comments with interest and it has probably been asked and answered elsewhere on the forum, but do these units incorporate an inline filter before the heater?.

I have a Kabola which runs happily inbetween monthly cleans but then once a year begins to become temperamental. I find that changing the inline fuel filter cures this and normal operation is restored. running these oil burners on a low setting for long periods also causes them to 'soot up'.

ATB

Albi.

I have been following this thread avidly for two reasons ...

1) I am about to spec a heating system for a new build later in the year

2) My father has been having problems with his domestic Aga which seem very similar to those seen here.

I consequently did some research into the fuels ( 28 second Kerosene) and 35 second "oil" - both are used for domestic heating and the heavier grade 35 second oil, which is very similar / identical to red diesel, has a slightly higher calorific value per litre, although I think Kerosene burns hotter.

Regardless, the heating engineer who came out 3 times in 5 months to de-coke the Aga said that the reason for my father's problem was that the "wrong kind of heating oil" was specified at time of ordering and he should have said that it was for an Aga - he does have a pressure-fed oil boiler which has continued to operate without problems.

My calls to oil suppliers revealed that " 28 second" or "35 Second" central heating oil referred to little else other than the viscosity. The oils, whilst similar, are actually a mixture of several component liquids and over the last couple of years, the fractions contained within each have changed to include cheaper grades at higher percentages and is of lower quality than previously. I guess the composition does not have to comply with the more rigorous standards set ( and checked regularly) for road fuels - abnormalities would immediately be noticed and jumped upon - however if the Aga soots up a bit more, or consumes a few more percent of litres over a tankful for a given heat output, who knows or even cares !

I venture to suggest that it could be the quality of the supplied fuel that has slipped and perhaps will continue to do so until the whistle is blown, which is all very unsatisfactory, so perhaps those in the know could take up the baton and continue research so we may all be enlightened..

... and I am still unsure which way to go for my heating as I really don't want to have to rely on solid fuel, nice and reliable as it may be.

Nick

I have been following this thread avidly for two reasons ...

1) I am about to spec a heating system for a new build later in the year

2) My father has been having problems with his domestic Aga which seem very similar to those seen here.

I consequently did some research into the fuels ( 28 second Kerosene) and 35 second "oil" - both are used for domestic heating and the heavier grade 35 second oil, which is very similar / identical to red diesel, has a slightly higher calorific value per litre, although I think Kerosene burns hotter.

Regardless, the heating engineer who came out 3 times in 5 months to de-coke the Aga said that the reason for my father's problem was that the "wrong kind of heating oil" was specified at time of ordering and he should have said that it was for an Aga - he does have a pressure-fed oil boiler which has continued to operate without problems.

My calls to oil suppliers revealed that " 28 second" or "35 Second" central heating oil referred to little else other than the viscosity. The oils, whilst similar, are actually a mixture of several component liquids and over the last couple of years, the fractions contained within each have changed to include cheaper grades at higher percentages and is of lower quality than previously. I guess the composition does not have to comply with the more rigorous standards set ( and checked regularly) for road fuels - abnormalities would immediately be noticed and jumped upon - however if the Aga soots up a bit more, or consumes a few more percent of litres over a tankful for a given heat output, who knows or even cares !

I venture to suggest that it could be the quality of the supplied fuel that has slipped and perhaps will continue to do so until the whistle is blown, which is all very unsatisfactory, so perhaps those in the know could take up the baton and continue research so we may all be enlightened..

... and I am still unsure which way to go for my heating as I really don't want to have to rely on solid fuel, nice and reliable as it may be.

Nick

Hi Nick,

Although the problems that you see with your Father's Aga may seem very similar to Paul's and others problems, the Aga works on a very different and lower tech principle. My own correspondance with the fuel companies has shown that red diesel specification has remained the same for many years, whilst white diesel has been steadily changed and brought up to the requirements of modern diesel engines. Heating oil can be variable according to the requirements of the user and the supplier and may have lower standard oil added by the retailer if that is unimportant to the end user and helps keep costs down.

I am not quite sure what your aversion to the solid fuel solution is. It is well tested, easily manageable, reliable , economical and low maintenance, all of which is ideal for those living on boats. There is the daily ritual of clearing out the ash and refuelling, but this is no dirtier a chore than emptying the toilet or filling up the water tank. If you are set on the diesel route, then be prepared for much higher installation and running costs, but more importantly, get the manufacturer to give you a written guarantee that the installation will run to the their published performance and service interval times while running on the fuel that will be available to you, namely red diesel. Do not accept a verbal assurance and if a written guarantee is not forthcoming, look elsewhere.

Good luck,

Roger Gunkel

Hi Roger,

Thanks for your reply and the input re fuels...

For my own needs after seeing the ongoing problems I will indeed seek to obtain such guarantees in writing but I think I may well end up with a solid fuel stove as well - others have also been glad to have another source of heat when another fails - I was hoping to have one less fuel to store and need to clean as other half is disabled and I am trying to design out daily chores rather than the other way round. I fortunately have several months before I need to make a decision so will see what else this and related threads bring.

Thanks again,

Nick

Hi Roger,

Thanks for your reply and the input re fuels...

For my own needs after seeing the ongoing problems I will indeed seek to obtain such guarantees in writing but I think I may well end up with a solid fuel stove as well - others have also been glad to have another source of heat when another fails - I was hoping to have one less fuel to store and need to clean as other half is disabled and I am trying to design out daily chores rather than the other way round. I fortunately have several months before I need to make a decision so will see what else this and related threads bring.

Thanks again,

Nick

have you considered a drip fed diesel heater no electric no moving parts very little maintainance

http://www.lockgate-stoves.co.uk/products/...me/refleks2000/

Edited by denis boyle

Sorry to ask a real 'bone' question......The drip feed heater as mentioned in the previous link....When fitted with a back boiler (which presumably heats your water)...where is the back boiler located? and how does it heat your water?

I have a webasto...no probs as yet...but only use it to heat my water as my log burner warms the boat enough for me. But if I was to replace my logburner with a drip feed burner, would I be right in thinking that the unit provides heat and the back boiler is heating the water?...thus no need for a webasto to heat my water...

Sorry to wander from the topic but I am following the thread and got lost on how the drip feed works.

Thanks

A bit off subject but the techno nerds might find it useful.

If you click HERE you can view a video that will give you some idea of how a pressure jet boiler works.

The video is a bit hard going at first because it is really intended to be a instructional introduction to servicing the unit.

The unit shown is an Hurricane Heater from International Thermal Research and is one of the units we now fit.

Putting the cards on the table we have had a few problems with these units but non relating to fuel and all of which have been resolved satisfactorily.

The basic operation principle applies to all boilers of this nature but the Hurricane Heater is larger and simpler to work with than many of the similar units.

The other big customer advantages being the ease of DIY service.

Hi all

Following my earlier post ‘Webasto Nightmare – Could It Be Red Diesel?’

I have continued to speak with people in the boating industry and it has become increasingly clear that customers are not being told the whole story by some suppliers in relation to the ongoing use of red diesel with their Webasto heaters. This seems to be particularly pertinent for those who live aboard and use their Webasto units as the main heating source. I know of one boater who had similar problems to mine with his Webasto unit when run on red diesel. As he had a second fuel tank he switched to using white diesel for the heater. Since then, his Webasto unit has been trouble free (let’s just hope, though, that his back holds out carrying all those jerry cans backwards and forwards). The fact that his heater works fine on white road diesel and not the readily available red diesel says it all really, doesn’t it? This is further confirmed by our own experience of trouble free heating when Webasto UK connected our heater to a source of white diesel for over a month as part of their experiment to locate the fault.

I have already made mention in my first post of the difference in sulphur levels between white diesel and the red diesels that are generally available to the majority of boaters on the Inland Waterways network. Webasto, in their report to me, indicated that it was the ‘excessive sulphur levels’ that were the problem. I have just heard back from British Waterways who inform me that ‘…red diesel is the only fuel that is commonly found on the waterways’. A report by the Head of Waterways Strategy and Safety 25 October 2007 states that ‘most rebated fuel used in boats is high in sulphur’. Therefore, what on earth are the New Boat Company and others doing selling products designed, it seems, for use with low sulphur fuel into a market that has predominately only had high sulphur diesel fuels available?

It may be that with the addition of additives a better outcome can be achieved for the long term use of the Webasto heater. However, this is a ‘fix it’ approach and the real issue is easily overlooked i.e. if a product is described by the supplier as being fit for a particular purpose, it must be suitable for that purpose. If it isn’t there is a clear breech of contract.

We believe that the New Boat Company is in breech of contract and this is why court proceedings have been commenced.

Paul Sylvan

P.S . In addition to the legal action initiated against the New Boat Company, which, incidentally, they are defending, regarding our ex-Webasto heating unit, I have also had several conversations with Trading Standards who I believe now intend to visit Webasto UK to gather more information.

I will post any updates.

P.P.S Does anyone know exactly in what way, if any, Webasto heating units have been adapted and ‘marinized’ for the Inland Waterways environment?

Edited by Paul Sylvan

If you have a wriiten statement from Webasto stating that red diesel is not a suitable fuel for the heater and NBC supplied it on the basis you would be using red diesel (as all NB'ers would) then it would appear you have a very strong prima facie case as "not fit for purpose". I run mine on red diesel and have had no problems but I am not a liveaboard.

Chris

PS: I have checked their advertising blurb, the installation instructions for the Thermo Top C and the troubleshooting guide and it only refers to "diesel" without qualification of type. It even mentions bio-diesel as a suitable fuel. Your case gets stronger it appears.

Chris

Thanks for your post. Unfortunately, the Webasto report doesn't say that red diesel is not a suitable fuel (if only). What they actually wrote is... 'The most probable cause for the high build up of carbon and reduced burner life is due to an excessive presence of sulpher and/or other unknown properties within the fuel and/or fuel tank, and is not in any way related to a Webasto product or installation issue'.

You are correct,however, in terms of the advertising blurb in that it does only refer to 'diesel' and not to any particular type or colour of diesel.

Paul

I think it is pretty obvious that all these automotive derived heating systems have issues in the marine environment and the common factor is the use of gas oil fuel commonly available to boaters.

The quality of the gas oil supplied is obviously seems to have some bearing being that some people suffer horrendous problems while others don't.

Without letting the cat out of the bag by being too specific, public statement and and the acknowledged in the trade reality aren't often the same because it wouldn't be good for sales.

From our experience additives help while running on kerosene or road diesel is problem free.

One manufacturer recommends the use of smaller units that will run near to there maximum output continuously burning lower certainer rated fuels more efficiently, on the downside of this you have to remember these units were never designed for domestic style heating and long run times this is reflected in the expected component service life of the units.

You really have to consider if these units are suitable for the markets they are sold into?

Heating a small recreational cruiser for a few weeks a year is not the same as heating and providing hot water on a live aboard boat where the owner expects to get the equivalent of land based domestic system.

For builders it's a hard choice cost versus reliability, we have just changed our basic spec to the ITR Hurricane units after offering them has an upgrade for a few years.

If you have the room a true domestic boiler will always be the best and maybe even cheaper option.

Gary

Thanks for your honesty, I only wish other suppliers were as forthcoming with their experiences. Clearly the head of the cat is out of the bag, I look forward to the tail.

I don't know about Webasto but Eberspacher UK issued TECHNICAL BULLETIN NO: 2223 on 1st July 2002 outlining their findings on their analysis of marine supplied gas oil claiming that they found a lower cetane rating from suppliers.

A later test on a sample from a problem boat found-

Showed that the fuel specimen is classified as "Dyed Gas Oil" with a cetane index of 45.9 and a density reading of 0.8595 taken at +15 C.

Eberspacher heaters operate on "Commercially Available Diesel" to DIN spec. EN590. This has a Cetane index of 51.

Operating a heater on "Dyed Gas Oil" will result in the following:

a) Poor Starting

B ) Excessive smoke when the heater finally operates

c) Excessive waste products (e.g. heavy carbon deposits).

In turn, the above has an effect on the internal parts contained within the heater which includes:

i) Burner unit

ii) Fuel metering pump operation

iii) Glow Pin

iv) Fuel screen

v) Heat exchanger

it's also noted the sample contained water, this being visible when left standing over a period of time.

This was common knowledge in the boat building game so we started to fit the boats with twin tanks and recommend running them on Kerosene.

Based on the number of units we fitted that ran on red without problems compared to those we new of that experienced problems to us at least Eberspachers statement was accepted at face value.

Quite honestly we never did have the massive problems with customer complaints about Eberspachers some claim.

Edited by Gary Peacock

I have spoken to Paul directly and at length regarding the problems with his Webasto. the similarities with my own Eberspacher case (which have been fully documented on this forum) are remarkable. This is particularly clear in the comments regarding fuel quality and 'rareness' of the problem from both manufacturers.

There are as always a number of well intentioned but not neccesarily relevant comments from forum members with different experiences. Some of these suggest that various outlets sell sub-standard fuels or fuel contaminated with waste oils. I am sure that there are unscrupulous small scale suppliers that do fit that category, however in my own and Paul's case, supplies have only been purchased from a highly reputable supplier with high volume fuel turnover.

There are also considerable numbers of users of both Webasto and Eberspacher heating systems who do not have problems, although many of these users are in fact low hours users. I also have a small boat on which I have run an old Eberspacher airtronic for four trouble free years, however I doubt that it has run for even 50 hours over this time! The other well quoted example is the fact that thousands of these units have been run efficiently in commercial vehicles for many years. That is irrelevent of course as they are running on lower sulpher content white diesel.

It is of course extremely difficult for the majority of owners to have any real idea of how many hours their heaters have run, rather than how many years they have had them. This is naturally a great 'get out' for manufacturers and suppliers as they will always play the lack of service card, knowing that you are going to have your own doubts and almost certainly no proof. In my own case, I insisted on having a diagnostic system and hours counter fitted to my third replacement Eber. This showed quite clearly that it had failed completely again, after completing less than half the reccommended service hours. It was of course out of guarantee by then as it had been relegated to an occasional backup system to the solid fuel stove.

There is finally the comment that the units, although highly efficient when running properly, are not really suitable as domestic heating systems!! REALLY! Isn't that precisely why they are sold to purchasers of live aboard boats.

I think it is high time that the scandal of these systems was made fully public and the manufacturers and suppliers forced to face their responsibilities. Eberspacher and Webasto both issue fuel requirement specifications for their heaters and RED DIESEL DOES NOT MEET THAT SPECIFICATION. Paul's case has shown quite clearly that his Webasto does not run successfully on Red Diesel as a domestic heating . This has been tested and confirmed in writing by Webasto's own test team. This is completely indisputable and also backs up their own spec figures as well many unhappy user's experiences.

The question then becomes not 'does it run on red diesel?' but 'WHY ARE THESE UNITS BEING MARKETED TO BOAT OWNERS?'

Eberspacher are currently and quite blatantly marketing their products as 'Central Heating For Boats' I also understand that Paul can also show that Webasto are using similar wording. In addition, boat builders are fueling these systems from the boat's main diesel tank. Both manufacturers and suppliers are perfectly aware that red diesel is the only readily available fuel to boat users and are therefore equally guilty of supplying an unsuitable product into the market. Why should anyone who has just purchased an expensive heating system connected to his diesel tank want to be told afterwards that he could fit a seperate tank for kerosene, (if he could get the fuel) or have to put in special additives just to help it to work properly. Any purchaser would be unaware of required fuel specifications as this would certainly not be included in promotion material. I would further suggest that any potential purchaser preparing to spent arround £2500 on a heating system for a liveaboard, would never even consider it if they were aware that it was likely to have problems on the available fuel. Would you buy a car if you knew it would't run on the fuel available from filling stations?

Webasto and Eberspacher are multi million pound companies, who are very aware that if they are shown to have been marketing a product 'Unfit for Purpose' for many years, there could be serious repercussions. I would like to thank Webasto for showing conclusively that the product is unsuitable to the market and welcome wholeheartedly Paul's efforts to bring them to task. I would like to see trading standards investigating the marketing of both companies and those boat builders that consistently grab the profits whilst hiding the problems. The boating market is seen as fragmented and specialised, but I bet that if a similar problem involved fuel suitability for a family car, there would be national coverage in all media. Just look at the recent coverage on the suspect Tesco petrol supplies.

The units themselves are remarkable pieces of technology and engineering and with the right fuels will give great service. Its such a pity that they have been sold into our market without the full facts and warnings being readily available to customers

We can thank this forum for giving us the abilty to bring these sorts of problems to the notice of a large number of present and potential users and hope that Paul can start to enlist the support and interest of this forum and the boating press generally. Good luck Paul, you have my number if you need my further support.

Roger Gunkel

Thanks for you support Roger, what a great and detailed post. The Webasto report to me said 'The most probable cause for the high build up of carbon and reduced burner life is due to an excessive presence of sulphur and/or other unknown properties within the fuel and/or fuel tank. and is not in any way related to a Webasto product or installation issue. A report by the head of Waterways Strategy and Safety25 October 2007 states that 'Typically, suppliers of fuel to the boat industry provide only one type of diesel fuel-rebated red diesel' and that '..Most rebated fuel used in boats is high in sulphur'. This statment makes it very clear that low sulphur diesel fuels have not commonly been used on the Inland Waterways network . Therfore as you rightly point out 'WHY ARE THESE UNITS BEING MARKETED TO BOAT OWNERS?' Trading standards are making their own enquiries and I will keep the forum posted. Thanks again for your help

Paul

Has he tried a cetane boosting additive?

cheers,

Pete.

Pete

It was suggested to me by a fellow boater that I might try a cetane additive, but I was told that if I went down this route, I would then have no comeback on The New Boat Company or Webasto if things failed to improve. At the time I took the view that the 'experts' would make any recomendations they thought necessary and I wasn't prepared to invalidate my warranty.

Paul

Hi,

I have been reading these comments with interest and it has probably been asked and answered elsewhere on the forum, but do these units incorporate an inline filter before the heater?.

I have a Kabola which runs happily inbetween monthly cleans but then once a year begins to become temperamental. I find that changing the inline fuel filter cures this and normal operation is restored. running these oil burners on a low setting for long periods also causes them to 'soot up'.

ATB

Albi.

Hi Leo

Our Webasto unit didn't have any inline filter between the fuel tank and the heater. I presume this is the case for other installations as well although I can't be sure.

Paul

Pete

It was suggested to me by a fellow boater that I might try a cetane additive, but I was told that if I went down this route, I would then have no comeback on The New Boat Company or Webasto if things failed to improve. At the time I took the view that the 'experts' would make any recomendations they thought necessary and I wasn't prepared to invalidate my warranty.

Told by who, Webasto?

Why not ask Webasto themselves to confirm using a cetane boosting additive won't affect the warranty?

And ask them to try running one of their own units on red diesel with a cetane boosting additive.

Also point out that premium diesel contains, you guessed it, a cetane boosting additive! So I can't see them saying no.

Given the choice between using an additive, or junking £hundreds worth of heater and dragging Webasto and the boat builder through the courts, I, being a pragmatist... would use an additive.

cheers,

Pete.

Hi Paul,

I am suprised that no in-line filter was recommended. The amount of 'crud' mine stops amazes me and whilst I am not sure how the Webasto unit works but presumably a supply of clean diesel is needed with a minimum flow rate. Nothing could be simpler than a Kabola and if one of these is affected by a poor diesel supply then a more sophisticated unit would be similarly affected.

Bench tests carried out by the Makers would be under controlled conditions with clean fuel lines. I have found that 99% of plumbers/intallers fail to read intructions about flushing systems prior to use, so it is possible that some debris/sealant used in the installation could be affecting the flow.

Further, is the actual installation correctly designed with regard to the height of the outlet from the diesel tank above the unit, ensuring that a correct pressure of diesel delivery is maintained.

Whilst discussion about cetane ratings are excellent all to often overlooking the obvious can lead to frustration and expense.

ATB

Albi