What's in a name?

maffi mushkila

Featured Posts

Looking around the sites on the web I see a wide array of strange names on boats.

Some are obvious, an amalgamation of two peoples names 'Jentom' and the like. I know about Per Angusta.

What did you call your boat and why?

Mine, eventualy, will be the Maffi Mushkila. Arabic for 'No Problem'

Would any one like to guess where Tructors offi came from? (its second on my list)

But we're not in the pub here Maffi! Have you just fallen out of it?

Our boat is called Varlebena. It's called that because the name was on it when we bought it and we were so taken with it we decided to keep it. Anyway, sailors believe it's unlucky to change a ship's name - or so I have been told.

A search on the internet produces this quote from "Hondo" by Louis L'Amour:

"The Apache don't have a word for love," he said. "Know what they both say at the marriage? The squaw-taking ceremony?"

"Tell me."

"Varlebena. It means forever. That's all they say."

That'll do me!

See here for a review of the book:

http://www.brothersjudd.com/index.cfm/fuse...d/570/Hondo.htm

But we're not in the pub here Maffi! Have you just fallen out of it?

Our boat is called Varlebena. It's called that because the name was on it when we bought it and we were so taken with it we decided to keep it. Anyway, sailors believe it's unlucky to change a ship's name - or so I have been told.

A search on the internet produces this quote from "Hondo" by Louis L'Amour:

"The Apache don't have a word for love," he said. "Know what they both say at the marriage? The squaw-taking ceremony?"

"Tell me."

"Varlebena. It means forever. That's all they say."

That'll do me!

See here for a review of the book:

http://www.brothersjudd.com/index.cfm/fuse...d/570/Hondo.htm

But it was in the pub originaly, wasn't it :rolleyes:

I read that book many moons ago. Heap Big John Wane play Hondo in moving picture show.

Surely I don't have to tell you where Black Pearl came from:)

Well for those who haven't seen the film,"Pirates of the caribbean", it was captain Jack Sparrow's long lost pirate ship.

We wanted something a bit diffrent for the name, other than the obvious, I suppose. So we trawled film names, etc for ours. There' splenty of those names to go through for sure!. It nearly was Lord of the Rings.....or something from the film, like "strider", or the name of Gandalfs Horse....but we settled on that.

Its nice to hear some very good names and with good reasons, any more?

Squeers? I wont go there. I'll wait till tomorrow

Dontcha just hate houses called Dunroamin, Dunfixin, Dunpayin, Duneverythin. Dun...............

I can say that coz mine is called DS Al Coda. Those of you with a smattering of latin may losely understand "back to the begining". Although the name board says Das Al Coda

Ours is named Cartref, the f is pronounced "v", like the f in of (no I wasn't, didn't even occur to me until I saw it written down).

Anyway, it's a Welsh word meaning home and as it will be a liveaboard we thought it appropriate.

We did think it might be unique but there is a least one other nb out there with the name.

Richard

Maffi.

Nicholas Nicholby the novel by Charles Dickens.

Those who have read the book or seen the film will remember:

The brutal, sadistic, mean, penny pinching, child hating headmaster of Doodleboys School for young gentlemen. Something of a role model and folk hero to me.

His name. Whackford Squeers.

John Squeers.

Per Angusta = Through Narrow Places (Latin)

The runners up from our list of about 50 were:

Tabassum (= Smile)

Wellernd Rest

Lock Stock & Pension

(Maffi was a great help winnowing down the list of Arabic names we came up with, plus suggesting some more. But when we saw the boat, we went with the Latin one)

Hi, I'm new to all this, so forgive if i make a cockup :rolleyes: Thought i'd add my twopen'orth. I called my P'n'J "JWB III" coz my father loved the time we spent on various hireboats and rivers over the years he was alive, and always wanted a boat of his own but never got round to it, so when he died we decided to but a boat with the money he left and called it after his initials. So he finally got a boat at last <_< (sort of!)

Most inappropriate name I've ever seen is "No Worries" - given that from the moment you step on the boat you worry about the engine sound, is the black tank getting full, is the water tank getting empty, is that vibration getting worse, will the tunnel light go out half-way through Blisworth etc etc

Ours is called Destiny. Not very original but it sums it up: the place we were meant to be.

Previous boat was Karibu-Swaheli (hope that is correct spelling) for Welcome.

.. mine is called DS Al Coda. Those of you with a smattering of latin may losely understand "back to the begining". Although the name board says Das Al Coda

DS al coda is actually a musical term, Maffi.

DS is the abbreviation for Dal Segno and means 'return to the sign (looks a bit like a dollar sign) and play the music to the word "fine" or to a double bar with a pause sign above it.'

al means 'at the ' or 'to the'

Coda means 'tail'

So DS al coda means 'go back to the sign and play from there to the end.'

You will find it normally appears towards the end of a piece of music. The musical pattern will have been repeating, but this in effect gives the player a completely new piece of music with which to finish off the piece.

:rolleyes:

Regards

"Octarine" came to us with her name - but we like it!

Octarine is the colour of pure magic - in accordance with the Discworld series of books by Terry Pratchett (which I recommend to you all!!).

On discworld, strange things happen if you mention the number 8.

Magic starts crackling around, things move of their own accord - pretty dangerous actually.

So instead of saying 8 - you say 5+3 or 2x4.

So there are 2x4 birds sitting on a fence - for example.

This is why the engine hatch panels on Octarine say No. 5+3 on one side and No. 6+2 on the other!

I also like the one I quoted on the other forum...

The American lawyer with a yacht called "Defence Rests"

Actually it should be "Defense", being USAish, but everyone pulls me up on my spelling and syntax!!!

M

My previous boat was called, DYNAMIC INACTIVITY . I first heard the phrase on a radio programme, it's an Americanism which I always found appropriate for the job I was doing at the time running a drawing office.

There is always a project that is a bit of a 'crown of thorns'. Nobody wants to be responisble for doing it but equally, they didn't want to be seen to be avoiding it.

I got fed up of explaining it to people, but the Americans loved it.

John Squeers

Edited by John Orentas