Portable radio/MP3 player - 12V

Broughton 2

Featured Posts

Can anyone reccomend/ suggest a decent quality portable FM radio with MP3 facility that will run both off 12V (boat leisure batteries) and 230v mains, cost no more than say £150? Alternatively, is there any particular radio(s) to avoid?

We are not a liveaboard so a portable radio rather than fixed (such as car radio or somesuch) would be overall more useful between boat and home. MP3 so that we can conveniently take lots of music aboard. 'Though I would not baulk if DAB were an option I'm advised it's difficult for reception in lots of areas whereas FM is more reliable and therefore a must have.

Thanks

If i wanted to be largly mp3 based and portable (which infact i am) i would be looking at a portable mp3 player.

- Many of them even have a decent fm receaver built into them. They run for hours between charge, can be charged from anything, and provide a line out to whatever you want them to play though.

Combine that with an half decent pair of speakers and you are away. Even a £80 pair of computer speakers, some of which run off 12vdc natively anyway.

Just a thought.

I've got a Panasonic DAB radio which has good quality sound for a portable. Has FM as well, but I find I get a good DAB signal pretty much anywhere I can pick up FM. It has a line-in to plug in an ipod and a line-out which I can use with a FM transmitter thingy to let the boat (car-type) radio connect to it when I fell like sitting in a mobile disco.

It cost me £80 but that was a couple of years ago and DABs have halved in price since then, so you should be able to get a radio, mp3 player and a transmitter if you need it easily within your budget.

The radio runs off internal batteries (forget it!) or mains, but the mains just provides a 12V dc so can be connected directly to boat supply. (get a stabiliser from Maplins fo a few £££ if you are concerned about voltage levels when charging).

But do check the sound quality of the radio - the quality varies enormously (like small lcd tvs) with some being a complete waste of time. Planet Rock sounds good anyway!

• 1 month later...