boat names

bewilderbeast

Featured Posts

Hello all, this may be an odd choice of first post...but I've been rooting around in all the sensible stuff I need to find out before bagging myself a nice little NB to live on.... and find that a question (of questionable importance) is constantly nagging in the trivia of my mind. Someone once told me years ago, that it is absolutey forbidden (I suspect as a superstition and not a law) to change the name of a boat. Is that true?

Hello all, this may be an odd choice of first post...but I've been rooting around in all the sensible stuff I need to find out before bagging myself a nice little NB to live on.... and find that a question (of questionable importance) is constantly nagging in the trivia of my mind. Someone once told me years ago, that it is absolutey forbidden (I suspect as a superstition and not a law) to change the name of a boat. Is that true?

There's certainly no legal problem changing an NB's name when you licence it. If When you licence it the first time put the current BW index number in and write the name in name box as "MyBoatSoThere (previously SomeOneElses)" - the BW Index number is the important bit.

(As for superstition ... differnent matter entirely! :) )

Hi Bewildered, welcome.

I changed the name of my boat which I bought second hand, The pervious owner had given it a really "naff" name based on her and her daughter's first name (hope she isn't reading this...)

As Chris has siad - no problem, just make sure that you quote the BWB number to them............

As for the superstition, I was told that the ill luck inevitable when changing a boat's name can be avoided by making a paper boat, giving it the name that you are changing from, setting light to it and letting it sail off down the cut - bit liek a Viking funeral. Not sure that it works, but a great excuse for opening a bottle or three to celebrate!!!

Graham

Hello bewildered, welcome to the forum.

The search facility is excellent, do try it. Have a look at this link from exactly a year ago.

Thanks very much and hello to CHris JW and Bjornunder.

"Christening Ceremony

After a boat is denamed, you simply need to rename it using the traditional christening ceremony, preferably with Queen Elizabeth breaking a bottle of champagne on the bow, and saying the words:

"I name this ship ___________ and may she bring fair winds and good fortune to all who sail on her." " (John Vigor)... I'll see if I can book Liz in her wellies canal-side to do the honours when the time comes.......at least if the paint work gets scratched in the process she'll be good for it ..haha!

Hi Bewildered

Welcome to the forum, whilst it is true that if your boat is registered with British Waterways there is no problem in changing the name as they use the index number to id.

If the boat is registered with the Environment Agency (mainly river boats) then they use its name.

Hi Bewildered, welcome.I changed the name of my boat which I bought second hand, The pervious owner had given it a really "naff" name based on her and her daughter's first name (hope she isn't reading this...)As Chris has siad - no problem, just make sure that you quote the BWB number to them............As for the superstition, I was told that the ill luck inevitable when changing a boat's name can be avoided by making a paper boat, giving it the name that you are changing from, setting light to it and letting it sail off down the cut - bit liek a Viking funeral. Not sure that it works, but a great excuse for opening a bottle or three to celebrate!!!Graham
Hi Graham, yup I'm with you there....seems shockingly wasteful to just pour it on the bow ;pThanks Keith, pretty certain it's going to be BW... however, what happens if I decide to leave the canals and moor on a river as a temporary arrangement? If I'm licenced by BW for a year and decide to go off on a journey somewhere out of their territory, presumably I have to get some kind of temporary licence...will it matter in that instance? Edited by bewilderbeast

Hi Graham, yup I'm with you there....seems shockingly wasteful to just pour it on the bow ;pThanks Keith, pretty certain it's going to be BW... however, what happens if I decide to leave the canals and moor on a river as a temporary arrangement? If I'm licenced by BW for a year and decide to go off on a journey somewhere out of their territory, presumably I have to get some kind of temporary licence...will it matter in that instance?

Glad to be of service :) Here's the EA take on licensing etc.

Edited by Chris J W

We changed the name of our boat when we got it without any trouble at all from BWB - just put the new name on the licence.

We certainly haven't had any bad luck since we did it either. Now that the last of the locusts have flown, the floods seem to be subsiding and the nasty boil on my nose is shrivelling nicely :) it is all plain sailing.

Boat names are often changed - even ships sometimes get a re-name when they are re-registered to a differetn owner.