stainless steel water tank

bella8310

Featured Posts

hi to everyone on the forum im knew to boating and im ordering a new sailaway lined in two weeks .. i understand having a water tank in stainless steel needs less maintenance ... can i not just put a plastic tank in . in the space where the s/steel water tank goes .. or can you not get access to it once the boat has been built ? thanks keith

hi to everyone on the forum im knew to boating and im ordering a new sailaway lined in two weeks .. i understand having a water tank in stainless steel needs less maintenance ... can i not just put a plastic tank in . in the space where the s/steel water tank goes .. or can you not get access to it once the boat has been built ? thanks keith

Why would you want a plastic tank in preference to stainless steel? If it's down to cost I'm not sure if a proper quality plastic water tank of the same size would really be that much cheaper? You could always go for an integral tank in your sailaway. Yes, it requires repainting every few years but the tank itself will have a bigger volume than anything fitted into that space and it should cost you nothing!

Why would you want a plastic tank in preference to stainless steel? If it's down to cost I'm not sure if a proper quality plastic water tank of the same size would really be that much cheaper? You could always go for an integral tank in your sailaway. Yes, it requires repainting every few years but the tank itself will have a bigger volume than anything fitted into that space and it should cost you nothing!

and you won't have an inaccessible dead space between the tank and the shell where bugs and dwarfs may abide, never mind R*ST. :D

It can depend on the size of the tank and the size of the doors - it might need to go in before the steel work is finished.

I recommend a stainless tank as big as will fit under the well deck.

Alex

and you won't have an inaccessible dead space between the tank and the shell where bugs and dwarfs may abide, never mind R*ST. :)

If it's a new build I would ensure any inaccessible walls are sprayfoamed before installation then rust will be no more of an issue than elsewhere. The tank may at times gather condensation and whilst it won't harm it you may not want condensate dripping into the hull, in which case think about insulating the tank itself.

Bugs and dwarfs? It's not a proper boat without them!