liverpool boats

colin loach

Featured Posts

I can only comment on how i find things.

In 2006 I purchased my LBC boat from New Boat Company I paid a 5% deposit on placing the order and the balance on delivery. It was a very simple transaction. I am a CC and since purchaing the boat have covered over 1,000 miles during that time I have had some minor problems and on each occasion the work was carried out quickly and with no problems. When the boat was 11 months old I took it to a boat yard for engine service and asked them at the same time to do a minor survey to spot any potential problems so that I could have them dealt with under warranty. I was informed there were none and the engineer said I had opened his eyes to the quality of LBC.

I have spoken to many other owners of LBC boats and have to say have never had any real negative feed back. Most of the bad feed back I have heard on LBC is from people who dont own one but say they have heard from other people etc. etc.

Thing about LBC is you get what you pay for, a reasonable priced boat,no it is not a luxury boat and no does not have the most expensive wood or finish but does the job very well.

We also bought our (fully-fitted) boat from New Boat Co last year and during the build, they arranged for us to vist LBC to see our boat under construction. The staff at LBC were very friendly and went out of their way to show us our boat being built together with showing us around the rest of factory. The guys actually working on our boat obviously took a pride in what they were doing and since the handover last December, we have been very pleased with the quality of fit-out and value-for-money. I am certainly a vey satisfied customer!!

pete g

"I understand they have been reluctant to file accounts "

Oh but that is so common these days!

Have a look at the Companies House WebCheck service HERE

It tells some interesting stories not only non filed returns but multiple companies (With same directors.) and well know names you wont find listed because the true company details will be well hidden away behind a trading name in the background.

Have a look and work your way through the adverts in this months magazine it's a real giggle if you have the time to spare! :unsure:

a little off topic, but how on earth can a website close for the weekend!!!!! :wub:

good luck with your new boat anyway

As a very happy LBC owner I can only agree with cotswoldman

I have said this before and will keep saying it.....

Nothing about boating today is "traditional"......

If you remove the hype you are left with a simple choice "how much money can I afford to spend and what on?"

Personally I think all you guys who spent vast amounts on a big name shell/fitout are mad.....

We all go the same speed......

We all decay at a similar rate.....

we all lose money between purchase and sale.

My shell was perfect from day one. I am happy how I spent my money

......nuff said??????

:unsure:

"i have paid most of the money"

Why?!!! (and do you feel foolish now!)

I understood LB operate like a proper mature business and dont expect their customers to provide them with basic capital funding. Will people ever learn?!

"i have paid most of the money"

Why?!!! (and do you feel foolish now!)

I understood LB operate like a proper mature business and dont expect their customers to provide them with basic capital funding. Will people ever learn?!

This is lifted directly from LBC's web site.

Payment Structure & Delivery Times

On All Boats

Deposit £500.00

Boats costing up to £12,000.00

Three weeks before build £3,000.00

Balance due on completion

Boats Costing up to £35,000.00

Three weeks before build £6,000.00

When shell is completed £10,000.00

Balance on completion

Boats costing over £35,000.00

Three weeks before build £6,000.00

When shell is completed £10,000.00

Half way to completion £10,000.00

Balance on completion

Earliest delivery dates at present time are:-

Narrowboat Shells, Approx 8-10 weeks

Narrowboat Sailways Approx 4-5 months

Narrowboat Sailaway Lined Approx 4-5 months

Narrowwboat Fullyfitted Approx 6 months

Widebeams Shells, Sailaways and Part-Fitted Approx 4-5 months

Widebeams Fullyfitted Approx 3 months

The above times can change, so please contact us for details of the current time you will wait between ordering and delivery of your boat.

I think they used to operate with basic holding deposit and full payment on delivery. A couple of years back I was very close to ordering a new boat from them. In the end I bought a second-hand one, but there is no way in hell I would have considered handing over anything other than a holding deposit to any business. I would rather stop someone in the street at random and ask them to look after a big bag of money for me. I reckon there would be less risk.

If they have shifted their policy recently, then that could be construed as worrying.

Below are abstracts form Companies House that referr to Liverpool Boats.

LIVERPOOL BOAT CO. LIMITED

C/O WHITNALLS

COTTON HOUSE

OLD HALL STREET

LIVERPOOL MERSEYSIDE L3 9TX

Company No. 03072843

Date of Incorporation: 27/06/1995

Accounting Reference Date: 31/10

Last Accounts Made Up To: 31/10/2006 (FULL)

Next Accounts Due: 31/08/2008

Last Return Made Up To: 23/06/2007

Next Return Due: 21/07/2008

LIVERPOOL BOATS LIMITED

C/O WHITNALLS

1ST FLOOR COTTON HOUSE

OLD HALL STREET

LIVERPOOL L3 9TX

Company No. 04953783

Date of Incorporation: 05/11/2003

Accounting Reference Date: 31/10

Last Accounts Made Up To: 31/10/2006 (TOTAL EXEMPTION SMALL)

Next Accounts Due: 31/08/2008

Last Return Made Up To: 05/11/2006

Next Return Due: 03/12/2007 OVERDUE

Don't like the "Overdue" bit.

I've got an Liverpool Boat that I've had for almost six years. When it was being finished off they wanted the paying in full but I waited till it was completed to my satisfaction. From memory it ran about three weeks late to the date promised.

As far as satisfaction with the boat, the finish is excellent as long as you don't look under the surface. My major complaint would be with the size of electrical cables, mine are very much undersize.

For the price I still think you get better value than any of the comparably priced builders.

Brian

The Annual Return means little or nothing - it is just a paperwork formality. I would not read anything into that.

I am surprised to see a Small Company Exemption in 2006 (it is a loophole that allows a business to keep most of their financial information out of the public domain) - surprised not because they have used the exemption, that could be very astute, but surprised that they were small enough to be allowed use the exemption.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking to a canal boat engineer earlier today.

He informs me that Liverpool Boats are cutting their workforce substantially and they will only be producing 50 or so boats this year. (as opposed to circa 300 previously.) Allegedly.

Edited by john4647

I go past LBC's premises most days, and the place is a lot quieter than it has been previously (used to be a hive of activity) ... it certainly looks like they have reduced their workforce and are producing fewer boats.

Ben

I might be a bit stupid as I listen to the news on the radio every day and I have hears mention about a slow down in the economy!!! Maybe you think that Liverpool Boats are imune from this slow down guess the theory is that the largest boat builder is imune from this. During a slow down in the economy people are Q'ing to spend £50,000 plus on boats.

I might be a bit stupid as I listen to the news on the radio every day and I have hears mention about a slow down in the economy!!! Maybe you think that Liverpool Boats are imune from this slow down guess the theory is that the largest boat builder is imune from this. During a slow down in the economy people are Q'ing to spend £50,000 plus on boats.

The other thing to consider is that low prices are often related directly to bulk purchase, take the bulk out of the equation and prices from suppliers cease to be so generous.

I go past LBC's premises most days, and the place is a lot quieter than it has been previously (used to be a hive of activity) ... it certainly looks like they have reduced their workforce and are producing fewer boats.

Ben

When they were doing our shell, they had a row of boats parked in the street and then craned them back into the shed at the day's end !

Mike.

I got my Liverpool Boats sailaway nearly 2 years ago, I've been very happy with it. I was warned by someone when I ordered it not to expect it on the first delivery date I was given. I arrived about 2 weeks after that which isn't to bad if you're expecting it, the only problem that caused was booking the crane because they needed some notice but it worked out in the end!

Rick

Like a few boaters here, I can vouch that LP produced an fabulous sailaway for us, but were sods to get hold of on the phone, dont let that panic you - if they are not hanging about the phones they might be finishing off your boat. Ours took about 2 weeks longer than expected but we were able to go out and see it and were even told to make a note of the number of the boat for the future. Totally above board and actaully very helpful at the yard. I think you picked a safe bet with them, as safe as anyone can be these days.