BW mooring price increases

GUMPY

Featured Posts

I have heard from my very reliable sources that BW are pegging their managed mooring increases to 7.5% Could the same figure be applied to licences?

Julian

I have just received the new mooring charges in the mail today for the whole of the GU, Oxford & GU Leicester Arm. Mine on the Southern GU will rise after April 2008 from about £1700 to about £1800 pa - an increase of about 6%. The 10% prompt payment discount is still on offer.

Chris

I have just received the new mooring charges in the mail today for the whole of the GU, Oxford & GU Leicester Arm. Mine on the Southern GU will rise after April 2008 from about £1700 to about £1800 pa - an increase of about 6%. The 10% prompt payment discount is still on offer.

Chris

We have just received the same document - no real surprises. Ours also goes up by around 6%

I have heard from my very reliable sources that BW are pegging their managed mooring increases to 7.5% Could the same figure be applied to licences?

Julian

Not that reliable Julian. The ceiling isn't 7.5%.

The average increase for BW directly managed moorings is 7.4%. Averages can mask some figures way removed from what initially sounds like a reasonable figure!

Merry Xmas :)

Not that reliable Julian. The ceiling isn't 7.5%.

The average increase for BW directly managed moorings is 7.4%. Averages can mask some figures way removed from what initially sounds like a reasonable figure!

Merry Xmas :)

That was me reading the words and not what was written

Having re read the email that I have seen it does say average.

It also says that no BW site has had an increase in price related to any

of the successful tenders from the moorings tender trial.

Julian

Julian

Saul Junction, G+S Canal. A basic linear mooring.

2005-6 £88/metre

2006-7 £94 6.8% increase

2007-8 £107 13.8%

2008-9 £118 10.3%

That's an average yearly rise of 10.3%, or to put it another way, in the little over two years since we applied for this mooring we've seen the price rise by 34%, that's an increase of over £650 for a 70' boat.

If this policy continues - and there's every reason to think it will - then in five years time we'll be paying about £4250.

Except that we won't. Because we cannot possibly afford it. And because it is utterly unreasonable.

The latest price is identical to that being charged by the new marina (which is fully serviced, electric to every mooring etc.) BW claim market forces, but this is not a free market, it's a price fixing cartel, nor is it free in that we have any choice over whether to buy or not to buy, they have us over a barrel.

So, what the f****** hell can we do about it?

Saul Junction, G+S Canal. A basic linear mooring.2005-6 £88/metre2006-7 £94 6.8% increase2007-8 £107 13.8%2008-9 £118 10.3%That's an average yearly rise of 10.3%, or to put it another way, in the little over two years since we applied for this mooring we've seen the price rise by 34%, that's an increase of over £650 for a 70' boat.If this policy continues - and there's every reason to think it will - then in five years time we'll be paying about £4250.Except that we won't. Because we cannot possibly afford it. And because it is utterly unreasonable.The latest price is identical to that being charged by the new marina (which is fully serviced, electric to every mooring etc.) BW claim market forces, but this is not a free market, it's a price fixing cartel, nor is it free in that we have any choice over whether to buy or not to buy, they have us over a barrel.So, what the f****** hell can we do about it?
Silly me - pressed the wrong button...Understandable that we are concerend by the increases as they ar approx 2 to 3 times the rate of inflation (depending who you believe etc)Whilst certain cost changes can increase charges - a clarified explanation would help understand it. ( not make it acceptable to the bank balance)I am new to a bwml mooring and yet to have historic details personally, but I thinkwe all know that as more of us ( and I a one of the newbies) move a float then demand has increased - This means with a finite number or moorings that they can hold out for an increase and in most acses get it... they do have us by the short and curlies so to speak..As users we should encourage all developements fo marinas/moorings/canal/river use as that will encourage developers to try and move schemes forward..perhaps in an ideal world a cooperative of owners could form to actually build their own marina - this would at least take the profit element out and once capital is re-paid allow a reduction to pure expenses and maitenance.. as nothing is ever really fully free...Any one seen any "cheap canal side land and know a man with a digger"?

I got the letter this morning, but the "enclosed price list" was not enclosed. I reckon after a 20% increase this year they are too frightened to tell us what it is going to be next year. Never mind I can find out from the Web site, except that it does not work!!

But the guidelines for Managers are available - Very interesting, Permitted moorings should have Rings or bollards -Really? There must be vehicular acess, Oh Yes? and parking within reasonable walking distance. What a joke! And what about Signs preventing others from pinching the mooring when you are off cruising,? No chance. Never mind if you have any problems contact (you've guessed) Eugene Baston.

I wonder what the Waterways Ombudsman would think of this? It is certainly beginning to look like maladministration.

Edited by David Schweizer

I got the letter this morning, but the "enclosed price list" was not enclosed. I reckon after a 20% increase this year they are too frightened to tell us what it is going to be next year. Never mind I can find out from the Web site, except that it does not work!!

But the guidelines for Managers are available - Very interesting, Permitted moorings should have Rings or bollards -Really? There must be vehicular acess, Oh Yes? and parking within reasonable walking distance. What a joke! And what about Signs preventing others from pinching the mooring when you are off cruising,? No chance. Never mind if you have any problems contact (you've guessed) Eugene Baston.

I wonder what the Waterways Ombudsman would think of this? It is certainly beginning to look like maladministration.

I've heard of passing the buck, but asking people to take their complaints to a former employee is taking things a little far, I feel. :)

I had a query about my licence and I received a response from a Miss Julia Waterman (It may not be the exact name, I can't be bothered to dig out the letter). The answer I received was unclear so I rang her at the office. I was told by switchboard that Miss Waterman had left BW almost a year before and I was put through to, I assume, her replacement.

I decided to ask for her again and the chap told me she was out of the office. I played along for a while until finally I asked him why he was lying to me. He admitted that he didn't want to look stupid when I was referring to a letter, a few days old, signed by a woman who'd left months before.

I asked him how stupid did he feel now.

I'm getting my coat and puting my auto reply 'out of office' on.........

....Christmas shopping even appears appealing now!

Merry Chrsitams everyone :)

Eugene

Happy Christmas Eugene. You just get confirmation that you are well out of it now and again. :D

Sue

Got another letter from BW today, apologising for ommitting the price list in the first letter :) How much more money are they going to waste on unecessary administration?

The price has gone up by 8.42%. That's on top of the 20% this year, My pension goes up by 2.4% next year !!