Lock Flights?

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

Ok Folks: IWMON started this with his last post on the Leicester Ring, so, do you have a preference for going up or down any particular flight of locks? I'll get it started with...

Stourbridge: having done these both ways I prefer up, I find the sense of arrival at the top infintley more satisfying than going down and the scenery seems in the right sequence. Mind, this might also be because there was only Magpie the Elder and me on board going down it was ****** hard work!

Staircases in general: up as it's gloomy and wet on the back deck at the bottom of each lock going down

Huddersfield Narrow Canal: east side. Down, keep getting empty pounds going up.

Edited by magpie patrick

Have to say my favourite is down Foxton.....well it is the partypiece of the canal system.

I've not been through any other flights, or staircases, but I'm sure nothing can top this. To see the view when in the second or third lock coming down, from on a boat is priceless.

The Diggle Flight leading up to Standedge Tunnel on the Huddersfield Narrow Canal.. I would not have thought that modern design could be applied to a lock flight but these are very impressive, I understand they were redesigned and rebuilt in the early twentieth century to make way for a new rail link.

All the paddles and gates, which are very easy to use are located on the same offside of the canal and very close to one another, they can be operated with a minimum of walking up and down or crossing the lock, leaving the towpath side totally unimpeded for the horse and it's towing line.

One of those clever pieces of design that makes you wonder why all locks were not built like that.

My favourite flight of locks are Marple, the scenery is breath taking. My least favourite is Stourbridge as my dog was killed in lock 15 after falling off the roof of the boat, it was a long time ago but I never let Joey on the roof when we are traveling, its so dangerous especially with a trad stern.

There are lots and it's hard to choose. Marple is a good one both up and down (in one afternoon!), but Moggyjo beat me to that example.

For me then it has to be the Wolverhampton 21 going down. From the noise and bustle of the inner ring road, albiet besides a quaint lock cottage and some well tended private moorings, this flight drifts delightfully down to the serenity of the countryside below.

One thing though! Don't hang around what I've nick named Incinerator Lock if you've got a weak stomach. The stench will provide the fish with plenty of food if the wind's blowing in the wrong direction!

Eugene

For me all locks and flights are great, up or down, its the main attraction of the cut without locks its just a ditch. Best 'vibe' from a lock flight I had was Farmers Bridge locks on the BCN but that was a few years ago I think they may have done some 'modernising' since then.

Bosley locks take some beating, going downhill on a spring morning with the sun shining, the Cloud looking down on you, the birds singing and 2 weeks of bliss in front of you. I have told my sprogs that when my time comes I want my ashes to be spread half way down the flight, there cannot be many better places to spend eternity!

Bosley locks take some beating, going downhill on a spring morning with the sun shining, the Cloud looking down on you, the birds singing and 2 weeks of bliss in front of you. I have told my sprogs that when my time comes I want my ashes to be spread half way down the flight, there cannot be many better places to spend eternity!

You'll need a BW licence and then a safety hazzard inspection, chemical anylsis of the ashes (in case of pollution) meteological forcast and finally up front payment of all expenses incurred by BW and DEFRA.

You'll need a BW licence and then a safety hazzard inspection, chemical anylsis of the ashes (in case of pollution) meteological forcast and finally up front payment of all expenses incurred by BW and DEFRA.

I know a family who got around this in a park by the old "Great Escape" trick - put it down your trousers and release it bit by bit.

Not sure what the boating equivalent would be?

:cheers:

Not sure what the boating equivalent would be? :cheers:

Probably getting Daniel to throw them in the firebox of Emily Anne..... :lol:

My favorite lock flight? Farmers Bridge going up without question, there is nowhere else quite like it.

Coming down Maffers with a breasted pair is a rewarding experience too. :D

Edited by Hairy-Neil

Bosley locks take some beating, going downhill on a spring morning with the sun shining, the Cloud looking down on you, the birds singing and 2 weeks of bliss in front of you.....

Suprising what difference the weather can make, my recollection is absolute misery. I was drenched from head to foot and freezing cold by the time we reached the top. (in August last year!!!)

The Diggle Flight leading up to Standedge Tunnel on the Huddersfield Narrow Canal.. I would not have thought that modern design could be applied to a lock flight but these are very impressive, I understand they were redesigned and rebuilt in the early twentieth century to make way for a new rail link.

All the paddles and gates, which are very easy to use are located on the same offside of the canal and very close to one another, they can be operated with a minimum of walking up and down or crossing the lock, leaving the towpath side totally unimpeded for the horse and it's towing line.

Er, John - that's how the Diggle locks were originally built - in the 1800s, long before the railway came, and they were not re-built for the railway.

The Diggle flight was built after the rest of the Huddersfield Narrow, because they were waiting for Standedge Tunnel to be completed, and were built to what were, at the time, exciting new standards, with a single gate at each end. The balance beams and paddle gear were on the offside so that the towlines never needed to be disconnected. The lock tail footbridges weren't part of the original design.

hun044.jpg

Only a section of the summit pound between the top lock and the tunnel portal was re-aligned when the railway was constructed. No locks were harmed during the making of this railway.

Oh, and FWIW, Diggle is probably my favourite flight, as well.

But not far behind would be Marple on the Peak Forest, Gauxholme to Summit on the Rochdale and Turner Wood on the Chesterfield.

Edited by MartinClark

Finest view - descending Bank Newton with the outlook to the hills above Skipton on a sunny day.

I'll go along with that one. Stunning.

As for Wigan? You can stick it where the sun don't shine! After looking forward to doing the flight, we found it absolute hell. Two of us, on a hot, wet, clammy day, going up on our own with every single lock set against us. Stiff paddles, gates that wouldn't stay open or wouldn't close - you name it, and it happened to us! We were scarcely talking to each other by the time we made it to the top.

Janet

I'll go along with that one. Stunning.

As for Wigan? You can stick it where the sun don't shine! After looking forward to doing the flight, we found it absolute hell. Two of us, on a hot, wet, clammy day, going up on our own with every single lock set against us. Stiff paddles, gates that wouldn't stay open or wouldn't close - you name it, and it happened to us! We were scarcely talking to each other by the time we made it to the top.

Janet

Janet - didn't you once tell me off for my hatred of the flight.................and better still offer to do it for me in the future !!!!

My worst experience ever was following one of the Plank Lane closures where

- we were the last boat in the procession so not only were we 'single' we had to queue at every lock.

- it was a red hot day in blazing sun

- on the day of Englands first match in World Cup 2006

- the lockkeepers had mysteriously vanished

- kids were 'running the rapids' and had drained 3 pounds

- we were dehydrated and throbbing head

- had gates from hell

- it took 6 hours

However the last time I booked assistance on the basis of having a 3 year old and BW were great.

Stiff paddles, gates that wouldn't stay open or wouldn't close

... and very slow. I thought you were talking about the Stratford.

I quite like Tardebigge, the Brierley Hill 9-locks (all 8 of them) are quite picturesque with their waterfall overflows, and I like the Bratch (but watch out for the soaker by the top gate).

I am a little surprised that so many of you like the Marple flight, these are my local locks and picturesque as they are, they can be bloody hard work.. But there are one or two of them that are extremely easy to operate even though all 16 sets are identical, probably fitted with plastic paddles but it does make you realise that lock mechanisms need not be hernia inducing if they are set up correctly.

As for Wigan? You can stick it where the sun don't shine! After looking forward to doing the flight, we found it absolute hell. Janet
Exactly - that's why it's so satisfying to reach the top.Arthur :cheers:
The Diggle Flight leading up to Standedge Tunnel on the Huddersfield Narrow Canal.All the paddles and gates, which are very easy to use are located on the same offside of the canal and very close to one another, they can be operated with a minimum of walking up and down or crossing the lock, leaving the towpath side totally unimpeded for the horse and it's towing line.One of those clever pieces of design that makes you wonder why all locks were not built like that.
Must have been improved since we went that way in 2002. I broke one long handled windlass and bent another opening those paddles. When we were there you could scarcely see the hills for rain and mist. Great flight though. Arthur

Staircase of three in Chester. 33' fall and you feel you could fly the boat into the canal at the bottom and just round the corner is the basin with that interesting old dry dock ( now closed AFAIK) and beer and food in Telford's old warehouse. We did it in Holly in October 2003 and did the run to the Ellesmere Port museum and back the next day. Must remove these rose-tinted specs!

SteveE